German Rain Poncho

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
driz

German Rain Poncho

Post by driz » 29 Aug 2017, 16:47

I was cleaning up the basement and came across a rather smallish gray rain poncho. I knew immedately it wasn't one of mine . I turned in all my US Army gear but did have an old late 80's issue poncho as well as rain suit pantsfrom the National Guard. Ours were larger and covered the sides fully. This was small and went just past the shoulders. As anyone in the US Military knows ours are thin light and somewhat plastic like and they tend to fall apart over the years due to cracking. This thing looked old style and looked like somebody just sprayed it with armor all and it's thick and rubbery. So this gets my interest going and I start looking for tags. The most worn part of it was the browning tag showing the weremacht symbol 1942. It was my Father In Laws and he must have dragged that thing through most of the war.
What struck me is how it held up. It's certainly not as protective as our stuff with the open sides but still looks literally as good as new except the cloth tag all these decades later.

Return to “Other Equipment”