Smoke Canister ID used on number of Armoured Cars

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
EndlessNights

Smoke Canister ID used on number of Armoured Cars

Post by EndlessNights » 29 May 2018 07:04

A number of German armoured cars can be seen fitted with racks of smoke screen canisters/bottles either mounted on the fenders or on the front glacial plates. Now, these don't appear to be the standard Nebelkerze 39 used more commonly used elsewhere. The only reference I have to them comes from Panzerspahwagen by Robert A. Johnson and Uwe Feist; reference image can be found at the end of the post. The canisters/bottles on the front nose of the SdKfz

"Six compressed-air smoke bottles are clamped to the nose with cotton webbing for quick replacement. The smoke liquid, typically chlorsulfonic acid is atomized as minute particles which then vaporize and quickly condense again as very fine droplets by absorption of water vapor from the atmosphere."

Does anyone know any more information about these smoke bottles? They appear to be used inconsistently on a number of German armoured cars inducing some SdkKfz 222, 231, 233, 234.

Jon Bailey

Re: Smoke Canister ID used on number of Armoured Cars

Post by Jon Bailey » 29 May 2018 09:03

They are actually Czechoslovakian in origin and are deemed smoke sprayers. It’s a compressed liquid sprayed out the top through a nozzle after ignition. I have a cutaway somewhere showing the construction. Obviously obtained after the annexation they seem to appear on 221,222,231 of early manufacture before the Germans developed their own multi barrel smoke discharges firing the Nb 39 smoke round.

EndlessNights

Post by EndlessNights » 29 May 2018 18:02

Jon Bailey wrote:They are actually Czechoslovakian in origin and are deemed smoke sprayers. It’s a compressed liquid sprayed out the top through a nozzle after ignition. I have a cutaway somewhere showing the construction. Obviously obtained after the annexation they seem to appear on 221,222,231 of early manufacture before the Germans developed their own multi barrel smoke discharges firing the Nb 39 smoke round.
If you could share your cutaway that would be appreciated. I have seen these Czechoslovakian smoke screen bottles as late in the war as summer 1944 on a SdKfz 222. They're a little hard to make out as an additional metal plate was placed over the top of them to protect them.

This is well after German had their own Nb 39s in production. (Though I have also seen the NbK-39B mounted on the nose of one SdKfz 222)

Jon Bailey

Post by Jon Bailey » 30 May 2018 02:55

This report doesn't mention the CZ origin but I swear it was on another report. The filling is described as titanium tetrachloride and the propelling charge is nitrogen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EndlessNights

Post by EndlessNights » 30 May 2018 20:53

That's Fantastic! Thanks a lot. Do you have any additional documentation to go along with this?

Return to “Other Equipment”