Axis power with the worst equipment?

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Setsurinvich

Axis power with the worst equipment?

Post by Setsurinvich » 14 Jun 2018 03:57

So out of all the axis powers which one had the worst equipment overall? Bulgaria? Hungary? Thailand? Manchukuo?

South
Financial supporter

Re: Axis power with the worst equipment?

Post by South » 14 Jun 2018 05:58

Good morning Setsurinvich,

Welcome to the forum.

What's the criteria you're using for "worst" ?

A 1908 blow forward magazine pistol would not be at the bottom of the pile of "worst" if the soldier knew how to use mechanical tools. A drafted hunter-gatherer from Moho, Manchukuo might provide a better work result with a stick.

Some analysts add support systems as an integral part of "equipment" to determine the equipment's value.

A 75 pack howitzer with the ammo and mules or humans might not be worst compared to something with a longer range and larger burst radius. Again, what's the criteria ?

What about FLC: feet, leather-covered. What was the best boot ? And et cetra.

Remember, row boats can be better than boats with engine propulsion systems, depending on the circumstances.

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

Setsurinvich

Post by Setsurinvich » 14 Jun 2018 07:21

I am referring to most outdated and ineffective equipment in combat as well as support systems as compared to the other nations of the axis alliance

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 14 Jun 2018 09:38

Probably Slovakia.

Setsurinvich

Post by Setsurinvich » 14 Jun 2018 15:30

Is there a reason why slokavia?

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 14 Jun 2018 17:55

They were left with the rump of whatever Germany didn't take from Czechoslovakia prior to the war. Over all, they were able to organize one small mobile division with left over Czech (mostly Skoda) weapons and vehicles. This replaced an earlier brigade sized unit. The two infantry divisions they mobilized were almost devoid of motor transport. They scraped up a handful of Pz 38t by 1941 - 42 for use. Unlike other Eastern European states fighting for the Axis, the Slovaks were largely relegated to occupation and security duties in rear areas because of the immobility and poor weapons state of their units making them mostly unfit for frontline service. The small air force they had consisted of obsolete Avia biplanes and later hand-me-downs from the Luftwaffe like the Me 109E when the Luftwaffe was using the G model.

Bulgaria and Romania used a lot of French equipment they'd purchased pre-war along with Czech (Skoda) gear. Unlike the Slovaks, these two militaries were homegrown rather than raised under German auspices. Both had fairly large militaries.

Hungary is the same way. They also had the advantage of being able to home produce some equipment like the Turan tank.

All three had reasonably useful air forces, and Romania had a navy on the Black sea and the Danube flotilla. Romania and Bulgaria even produced their own aircraft.

The Manchukuo army started out poorly but by 1941 was becoming a reasonably trained force. The Manchukuo state set up two arsenals and produced most of their own weaponry, other than artillery (later they managed to manufacture a few pieces) which were duplicates of standard Japanese issue. They also had a decent riverine navy and got a small air force, although the later never amounted to much.

Thailand was a Japanese ally in name only. They really didn't participate in WW 2 other than letting Japan move through their territory in exchange for some traditional provinces in Laos and Cambodia they wanted back. So, they really don't count.

Setsurinvich

Post by Setsurinvich » 15 Jun 2018 05:19

Could Slovakia have won in a war against any one?

Cekekb

Post by Cekekb » 15 Jun 2018 08:01

I would say that most liminiting factor for slovak military was its lack of manpower - it had population only of 2 600 000. Situation with equipment was not so bad. Slovaks took over most of the equipment of Czechoslovak units stationed in Slovakia before 1939 - about 7 infantry divisions, fast division, couple of medium artillery regiments, air force regiment, AA regiment.... With their ambition to field army of 2-3 divisions this was more than enough.

Note that Slovaks were able to have 2 divisions on thefront from 1941 to 1944 (and Fast division saw quite a lot of action), field army corps of 2 divisons in the summer of 1944 for defence od eastern Slovakia and still there was enough of equipment for figthing 2 months of the Uprising.....

Setsurinvich

Post by Setsurinvich » 15 Jun 2018 14:23

Well if it is that case then I think slovakia didn't have the worst equipment. I was thinking maybe one of those south east Asian countries that the Japanese gave independence at the last moment in 45

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 15 Jun 2018 18:51

Setsurinvich wrote:Well if it is that case then I think slovakia didn't have the worst equipment. I was thinking maybe one of those south east Asian countries that the Japanese gave independence at the last moment in 45
Hardly a fair comparison. That would be like comparing some Axis ally that flipped in the closing stages of the war and what they were equipped with.

Setsurinvich

Post by Setsurinvich » 16 Jun 2018 15:41

It probably isn't but it can off the top of my head when I was thinking about axis states

Helmut0815

Post by Helmut0815 » 17 Jun 2018 08:16

Regarding the major axis powers I would say it's Italy. Worst planes, worst tanks and worst infantry arms.

See this thread: Worst equipment of WW2

regards

Helmut

Hoover

Post by Hoover » 20 Jun 2018 16:57

If you referring to equipment (belt, suspenders, magazine puches) Germany had clearly one of the worst equipments of the war. But the French, Italian, Polish equipments were of the same system. My grandfather told me, that he tied a small tine around the left end of this leather belt and fixed it with a adhesive tape from his wireless accessoiry set. So his pouches didn´t fell apart if he opened the belt. He was a forward observer in the AR 22.

He said the the US had the best equipment and the best boots. He met them on Sicily and Italy while travelling with the PzGrenegt 115.

Bye
Frank

Return to “Other Equipment”