Pre-WW2 sniper rifles

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
JJToner

Pre-WW2 sniper rifles

Post by JJToner » 10 Sep 2018, 22:03

I'm trying to identify the best sniper rifle available in June 1936 (for a book I'm writing).

The Germany army mostly used the Carabine 98k, which may be accurate enough for my purposes, but I was looking for something more unusual / exotic for a clandestine operation in Germany in 1936

I have identified 4 possibilities:

1. The Serbian Mauser Model 24 used by resistance groups in Yugoslavia during WW2

2. The Mosin-Nagant 28-30 from Russia or Finland

3. The Mosin-Nagant 1927 Cavalry : Russian / Finland

4. The Mosin-Nagant Model 1891/30 Sniper with optical sights used by the Red Army 1930-1945

Any help gratefully received.

JJ Toner

antwony

Re: Pre-WW2 sniper rifles

Post by antwony » 11 Sep 2018, 08:20

JJToner wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 22:03
I'm trying to identify the best sniper rifle available in June 1936 (for a book I'm writing).

The Germany army mostly used the Carabine 98k, which may be accurate enough for my purposes, but I was looking for something more unusual / exotic for a clandestine operation in Germany in 1936

I have identified 4 possibilities:

1. The Serbian Mauser Model 24 used by resistance groups in Yugoslavia during WW2

2. The Mosin-Nagant 28-30 from Russia or Finland

3. The Mosin-Nagant 1927 Cavalry : Russian / Finland

4. The Mosin-Nagant Model 1891/30 Sniper with optical sights used by the Red Army 1930-1945

Any help gratefully received.

JJ Toner
Don't know if German rifles used optics much, pre WW2. Also don't know the standard of production during that period. Do know, however, that the Mauser 98K's that were issued with optics during the war were hand picked, direct from the factory, due to their accuracy being above the standard. The standard, required for a German sniper rifle, would have been considered unacceptable for general service at a Commonwealth/ American Lee- Enfield No.4 factory. Basically, Nazi era German products ranged from mediocre to useless.

Don't know anything about Serbian rifles.

Finnish reworked, Mosin-Nagant's have a good reputation for accuracy. Finn's didn't use optics pre WW2 though. The Cavalry version of the Finnish M/27 had a shorter barrel than the infantry version and, theoretically, would be less suitable to be "sniperised". The M/28-30 was considered particularly accurate.

The Soviets were using optics. Have no idea about Nazi era gun ownership laws. But, would image if someone in Germany had a current issue Red Army rifle, the Gestapo would book them a one-way ticket to Dachau if they found it.

Any competent gun-smith or quality manufacturer, of that period, could knock up a "deer rifle" that would be a far better sniper rifle that any issued rifle.

Mita2002

Re: Pre-WW2 sniper rifles

Post by Mita2002 » 11 Sep 2018, 08:51

If you really want something exotic, try the ZH 29

Return to “Other Equipment”