Luftfaust/Fliegerfaust? Which units were issued these?

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Double Dare

Luftfaust/Fliegerfaust? Which units were issued these?

Post by Double Dare » 04 Jun 2003, 12:14

Just like the title heading says, I'm very curious to know which units (and where) were issued this rare late war weapon. I know some of these made it to front line troops but I have no idea who used them and where. Were these issued primarily to Luftwaffe ground or Waffen-SS troops? Any light shed on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

nox

Post by nox » 04 Jun 2003, 13:56

In Nuts&Bolts on Luftfaust, we can read"some of the luftfausts were delivered in the early days of january 1945 to a unit at Saarbrücken for field and front trials. No reports of these trials"
:cry:

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 04 Jun 2003, 15:01

I'm not sure whether this is a propaganda picture or one made after the war. Anyways, you see a nachtjager squad in Berlin. Thought it might be useful.

Redbaron1908

Post by Redbaron1908 » 04 Jun 2003, 15:31

I've never heard of these weapons what were they used for?

Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 04 Jun 2003, 15:59

Hello!
From Panzerfaust webpage:

"The Luftfaust ("air fist") was an anti-aircraft, recoilless shoulder-fired weapon not really related to the Panzerfaust. There were two versions: the original Luftfaust-A featured four barrels of 2cm-caliber, firing 2cm-projectiles that weighed 90g and contained 19g of explosive, the projectiles were fitted to a little rocket stage. When fired in a salvo, the projectiles reached a velocity of 380 m/s.
The Luftfaust-B addressed the problem of the inaccurate and unsatisfactory hit groups achieved by the Luftfaust-A by kengthening the barrels and increasing the number of barrels to nine. The weapon now had a length of 150cm and weighed 6.5 kg. The nine projectiles were shot in one salvo with 0.2 sec. between the individual barrels. Although large orders for the weapon were placed in 1945, actually only 80 of these weapons were used in combat trials.

The Fliegerfaust ("airplane fist") had the same basic design of the Luftfaust but featured six barrels with a diameter of 3cm. It was to use the 3cm - projectiles of the Maschinenkanone MK108 machine-cannon used in fighter aircraft such as the Me262 jet. These bullets weighed 330g and contained 75g of explosives. The weapon did not advance beyond the trial stage."

B

daveh

Post by daveh » 04 Jun 2003, 16:45

Hi Nick

You say that
I know some of these made it to front line troops
what is your source for this statement? Is it the Panzerfaust or Nuts and bolts articles mentioned by Bjørn from Norway and nox? or another source?

I ask because such works as
Small Arms Artillery and Special Weapons of the Third Reich
T Gander and P Chamberlain ISBN 0 354 01108 1

and

Field Rocket Equipment of the German Army ISBN 88524 085 7

mention that production was under way with possibly 10,000 being made. However they also say few if any were issued and that no record of Allied planes meeting such a weapon exists.

are there any references to these weapons in Allied intelligence reports during the war?
I would be very interested in any record of their use and effectiveness.

nox

Post by nox » 04 Jun 2003, 18:09

from Nuts&bolts n°8 "10000 systems(probably the rounds or the magazine) were produced by HASAG in Leipzig and HASAY in Altenburg(?). The 1st US army captured some systems with the adjacent ammunition and magazines at the works of Hugo Schneider, Leipzig and tested them thoroughly"
picture 2 come from Dragon's box 1/35 by Vincent WAI.

daveh

Post by daveh » 04 Jun 2003, 18:16

very interesting nox

any idea where the US 1st Army test reports might be? I presume in some US archive...?

nox

Post by nox » 04 Jun 2003, 18:37

sorry.... I'm french and already I don't know where I should look for X7 tests in France. :(
Imagine for 1st Army tests. :P

Double Dare

Post by Double Dare » 04 Jun 2003, 19:06

Thanks very much for all your input, my friends. The information you provided certainly gives me a better perspective on this curious piece of armamenta.

Daveh,
Yes, the source of my comment is the article from Panzerfaust as well as from past conversations with other historians. I'm now very curious as well about where the US 1st Army test reports might be.

Cheers,
Nick

Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 04 Jun 2003, 20:30

Hi!
Another online source, Lexikon der Wehrmacht, has a great write up, fortunately in German. (That is - if you read German)

Zur Tieffliegerabwehr gab es beim Heer nicht nur den »Fliegerschreck« sondern auch die Luftfaust.

Bei der 1944 von der Firma HASAG (H. Schneider AG, Leipzig) zuerst entwickelten »Luftfaust-A«, einer Einmann-Flak-Waffe, hatte man vier Rohre zu einem Bündel zusammengefaßt. Verschossen wurde daraus in einer Salve die 90 g schwere Minengranate von 2-cm-Kaliber, die 19 g Sprengstoff trug. Diese Geschosse waren auf einen Raketentreibsatz aufgesetzt. Sie erreichten nach dem Verschuß eine maximale Geschwindigkeit von 380 m/s. Da sich bei der Erprobung nicht nur eine ungenügende Abdeckung des Trefferkreises, sondern auch eine zu große Streuung zeigte, ging man nun zu mehr und längeren Rohren über. Die Weiterentwicklung, »Luftfaust-B« genannt, besaß neun Rohre von 1500 mm Länge. Die neun Granaten wurden in 2 Salven mit 0,2 Sek. Abstand verschossen und bildeten in 500 m Entfernung einen Trefferkreis von etwa 60-m-Durchmesser. Die 6,5 kg schwere Luftfaust wurde einfach mit dem hinteren Teil auf der Schulter aufgelegt, einen Rückstoß gab es nicht.

Im März 1945 lief ein Auftrag über 10 000 Waffen mit 4 Millionen Schuß Munition an. Im Truppenversuch haben sich Ende April aber nur 80 dieser Waffen befunden.

Eine vergrößerte Ausführung war die Fliegerfaust mit sechs Rohren von 3-cm-Kaliber. Hier sollte das 3-cm-Minen-Geschoß der Flugzeugbordwaffe MK 108, das bei 0,33kg Gewicht 75 g Sprengstoff trug, verschossen werden. Diese Waffe ist aber über das Versuchsstadium nicht hinausgekommen. Eine weitere geplante Waffe war der Hand-Föhn. Hier hatte man drei Rohre zu einem Bündel zusammengefaßt, daraus wurde die R.Spgr. 4609 verschossen. Das war die verbesserte RZ 73, eine 330 mm lange drallstabilisierte Bordrakete von 73-mm-Kai., die bei der Luftwaffe entwickelt worden war. Sie wog 3,2 kg, trug 0,3 kg Sprengstoff und erreichte eine max. Geschwindigkeit von 360 m/s.

Die Raketensprenggranate 4609 hat es übrigens in größeren Stückzahlen gegeben, sie wurde bei dem 35schüssigen Flakabwehrwerfer Föhn verwendet, von dem die Luftwaffe 83 erhalten hatte und einige zur Verteidigung der Remagenbrücke an die Heeresflak abgegeben hatte. Dieser Werfer wog in der ortsfesten Ausführung 650 kg, geladen wurde diese Waffe mit fünf Magazinen zu je sieben Schuß. Bei den 50 gelieferten Werfern befanden sich auch einige in einer fahrbaren Lafette. Da stieg das Gewicht aber auf 1350 kg an. Mit den 15 000 Schuß, die bis Ende November 1944 im Truppenversuch verbraucht wurden, ist aber lediglich ein Abschuß gelungen. Während des Dezembers gelangen dann zwei Abschüsse bei einem Verbrauch von fast 5000 Schuß, das waren immer noch über 70 Werfersalven für einen Abschuß.

Innerhalb des Entwicklungsprogrammes für das Projekt Planet, mit dem neuartige Flakraketen erstellt werden sollten, gab es auch für das Heer ein Muster, das gegen Tiefflieger eingesetzt werden sollte. Im Gefechtskopf von 97-mm-Durchmesser befanden sich sieben kleine Raketen mit aufgesetzten Minengranaten vom Kal. 30 mm, wie sie bei der MK 108 der Luftwaffe Verwendung fanden. Beim Verschuß sollte das Raketenbündel nach kurzer Flugzeit nach dem Schrotschußprinzip ausgestoßen werden. Infolge der versetzten Düsen sollten dann diese Raketen für etwa 25 Sekunden auf kreisförmigen Bahnen mit einem Radius von etwa 100 m fliegen. Durch diese Flugbahnen wäre ein Würfel mit einer Kantenlänge von etwa 400 m so abgedeckt worden, daß ein anfliegendes Flugzeug mit hoher Wahrscheinlichkeit mit dem hochempfindlichen Aufschlagzünder einer dieser Geschosse in Berührung gekommen wäre. Zum Verschuß war ein Rohr vorgesehen, wie es bereits beim Panzerschreck verwendet wurde. Die gesamte Entwicklung »Planet«, die erst seit Mitte Januar 1945 beim Reichsforschungsrat lief, ist über zahlreiche Studien für Kleinraketen, für die verschiedenen Flugbahnen usw. nicht hinausgekommen.

B.

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 05 Jun 2003, 00:33

Posted by James Blackwell at Missing Links Axis AFV Forum long time ago...The source it´s unknown for me (Maybe a Google search of ML site could shed some light ) But the caption said it was a Street from Berlin.
So I think at least some Luftfaust were delivered to troops unless this hotel was some kind of weapons depot :?
Attachments
luft.jpg
luft.jpg (47.7 KiB) Viewed 11905 times

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 05 Jun 2003, 00:36

Two more pictures from the same thread...I think the man is carrying some kind of Battery/Power source as they did with "Vampyr" (I mean the backpack) :?
Attachments
Luftfaust2.jpg
Luftfaust2.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 11869 times
Luftfaust1.jpg
Luftfaust1.jpg (53.16 KiB) Viewed 11904 times

nox

Post by nox » 05 Jun 2003, 01:18

very nice pics Jivachu (luf.jpg) :)
That isn't a Battery/Power. New magazine was carried on the side of the operator in a special bag. 8O
Image 8)

nox

Post by nox » 09 Jun 2003, 23:46

on the site: http://www.achtungpanzer.bos.ru/pt_panzerfaust.htm
We can read that" it was made only 80 Luftfaust for field tests". :)

Return to “Other Equipment”