Full Equipment List of the Fallschirmjäger?

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
HistorianinMaking

Full Equipment List of the Fallschirmjäger?

Post by HistorianinMaking » 03 Feb 2019 22:42

Hello! I am starting a Fallschirmjäger reenactment group and was wondering what the full list of equipment was for an individual Fallschirmjäger in the late-war period (late 1943-1945), after giving up on a few-hour individual research. Would anyone be able to know? Thank you!

Hoover

Re: Full Equipment List of the Fallschirmjäger?

Post by Hoover » 23 Feb 2019 12:02

HI,

I am in a group portraying the 4./Fallschirmpionierbataillon 5, timeframe Normandie-Ardennes-Harz. For earlier scenarios we portraying Fallschirmpionierbataillon 1 or FJR1.

It is quite impossible to give "the only" equipment list for all impressions. There are so many factors and changings especially during 1944 and 1945.

For example:
We have had the great pleasure to speak with a lot of veterans of the FallschPiBtl 5 (but most are passed away now). We looked on hundreds of pictures of this special unit and sent letters with a lot of questions regarding equipment, weapons etc. And most of the veterans were very helpful.

First you have to choose unit. There is no overall identical unit in equioment or armoury. Our unit in 1944 was only jump qualified to 50 %. There were a lot of young replecemnts who came to the unit in Summer 1944 before the invasion, they were not fully para equipped. And they all said, that they didn´t have camo covers for the helmet, they simply had bluegrey (slategrey) helmets. Jump smocks were mixed of all patterns. Some even didn´t had jup boots.

After the normandy they were reequipped for the Ardennes. Then they got to 90% splinter pattern smocks, some had tan&water smoks and very few still green smocks. And during the Ardennes the 4./5 didn´t had any rucksacks or greatcoats. They got lost on the first day of the battle on a lost truck.

After the Ardennes they got replacements from different para schools, Luftwaffe ground units etc. For the Harz mountains 1945 you can wear nearly all sorts. One veteran said "In April 1945 our company were fully equipped with Smocks, Jump helmets, StG 44." We said "Wow! Cool!". Then the veteran added "okay, we only had a strength of 30 soldiers then."

My tip: Choose a special unit. Get all informations, books, pictures of the area, unit, and from the Allies, too. From pictures of captured soldiers you can get a lot of informatons, too.

Try to get a Summer 1944 impression first for your chosen unit. Then all later scenraios are no problem and you add some items for an authentic look.

If you need help don´t hesitate to ask.

Bye
Frank

https://www.facebook.com/IG-Fallschirmp ... 137608131/ Our facebook page.

offizier1916

Post by offizier1916 » 23 Feb 2019 19:35

@ Hoover,

I did not know that reenactment of Wehrmacht is practiced in Germany. Must have been interesting to talk to all those FJ/Pioniere vets

Hoover

Post by Hoover » 24 Feb 2019 11:20

SS is a no go because it is rated as a criminal origanisation. So only neofascists trying to play SS here. Wehrmacht is no problem at all. There are hundreds of Wehrmacht reenactors, mit an impressive amount of vehicles, guns, equipment.

During the 90´s there were still a lot of veterans alive, so I asked all I get a hand on. I have made around 80 interviews With some very thirlling stories.

Return to “Other Equipment”