I need help with my canteen!!

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Deviant

I need help with my canteen!!

Post by Deviant » 28 Jul 2019, 19:23

Hello guys, i am sorry, i know this is a forum about Axis not Allies. But now, i need help with my canteen. I got this canteen from a weird war stuff store. This is a U.S military canteen,the bottom of the canteen write:
"US
VOLLRATH
1945"
This canteen is used but still in good condition, but it have a lot of dents on the cateen so is there is any way, tips, ideas to get rid of those dent?
Also the canteen have some black tiny spot, outside and inside, is it mold? Is this canteen safe for drinking purpose? And can i get rid of them and would i need to get rid of them
(sorry if you don't understand what i am saying, i'm not an English person or an American person and i have a bad grammar)

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: I need help with my canteen!!

Post by John G. » 29 Jul 2019, 04:02

Divant, Late war US canteen, widely used by US and South Vietnamese forces thru the 1970s.... Dents would be very difficult to remove... Black spots could be mold.... I wouldn't drink from it unless I was sure it was clean and safe... Products like Dip it are available here... would have no idea what's available in Vietnam. I served a tour in the Di An/Lai Khe area with the First Infantry Div. in 1968/69. Lots of respect for all sides who served, sacrificed, and suffered for their beliefs and country, especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
John G.

Deviant

Post by Deviant » 29 Jul 2019, 06:27

John G. wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 04:02
Divant, Late war US canteen, widely used by US and South Vietnamese forces thru the 1970s.... Dents would be very difficult to remove... Black spots could be mold.... I wouldn't drink from it unless I was sure it was clean and safe... Products like Dip it are available here... would have no idea what's available in Vietnam. I served a tour in the Di An/Lai Khe area with the First Infantry Div. in 1968/69. Lots of respect for all sides who served, sacrificed, and suffered for their beliefs and country, especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
John G.
John G. First, i thank you for your service and thank you for your reply. Now i want to ask you that if i washed this cateen by hot water with shower cream, will it safe to drink or i will have to use bleach?

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 29 Jul 2019, 14:07

Bleach and let it soak for several days.... Then check it again.
John G.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 29 Jul 2019, 15:51

The dents are where the metal was stretched. You can alter the contours but not restore it to pristine condition.

Concur with the bleach and water treatment, but put a fresh mixture in every day. Bleach will stay strong that way.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Deviant

Post by Deviant » 29 Jul 2019, 15:54

OpanaPointer wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:51
The dents are where the metal was stretched. You can alter the contours but not restore it to pristine condition.

Concur with the bleach and water treatment, but put a fresh mixture in every day. Bleach will stay strong that way.
Will bleach kill entirely the mold? I mean, will the mold reborn again?

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 29 Jul 2019, 16:40

Deviant wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:54
OpanaPointer wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:51

Will bleach kill entirely the mold? I mean, will the mold reborn again?
If you use a good concentration it will kill pretty much everything. You can test this by putting some water in the canteen and let it sit for 3-4 days.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “Other Equipment”