Help Identifying Bayonet

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
VPorter

Help Identifying Bayonet

Post by VPorter » 18 Aug 2019, 17:21

In 1997, I purchased a German Mauser 98 rifle from WWI at an estate auction. It was complete and had the bayonet with the exception of having a sling. At the time, I had a gunsmith check it for safety and eventually took it deer hunting. A couple of years later I sold it, but I retained the bayonet.

From a search on the Internet, I have a Seitengewehr 98/05 aA (I have the long muzzle ring ears without the muzzle guard). The Blade is approximately 19-3/8". There are no maker’s marks on either ricasso, but the left ricasso is marked with the numbers: 9 18 (picture 1) and the left side of the handle has a stamp on the metal pommel (picture 2). I have a metal scabbard, with frog (no marking), that has markings on end (picture 3). I looked the site http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/htn ... ations.htm who states the bayonets with no maker’s markings are uncommon.

Can someone further identify this bayonet and possibly give me and idea of the price?
IMG_0950.jpg
IMG_0951.jpg
IMG_0952.jpg
IMG_0953.jpg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Help Identifying Bayonet

Post by John G. » 22 Aug 2019, 21:37

Used and aged condition, still good/very good. Retail value $100./150.00 +/- US without the frog. Many of these were reworked by Yugoslavia and German makers marks were removed... Most do have restamped numbers on bayonet and sheath. If reworked, value is on the low side.
John G.

von thoma

Re: Help Identifying Bayonet

Post by von thoma » 22 Aug 2019, 23:29

Sword bayonet used with the 8 mm. Gewehr 98, Kar 98a, and Kar 98k rifles.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Other Equipment”