Armored Protection Cover For Locomotive Crews - Wehrmacht & Deutsche Reichsbahn Railway Trains - 1944

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Richard Stone

Armored Protection Cover For Locomotive Crews - Wehrmacht & Deutsche Reichsbahn Railway Trains - 1944

Post by Richard Stone » 07 Mar 2022, 12:08

The attached short article discusses the use of an armored steel cover design to protect railway locomotive crews on trains operated by the Wehrmacht and the Deutsche Reichsbahn. The cover was apparently designed sometime in early 1944 as Allied aircraft increased their operations over Germany and Eastern France.

I am not aware of the extent of the cover being used on German Army and regular railway locomotives and the locomotives of the other occupied countries since I have not encountered any documents related to it before this one.

This article is a translation of a German press article that apparently was printed in the June to August 1944 time period. The translated article was printed in the November 1944 edition of the USA professional military reference magazine ‘Military Review’.

I’ve placed a duplicate copy of this post in the site section 'WW2 in Western Europe & the Atlantic'.
MRS - Mil Review - Nov 1944 - German Crew Protection- Master.png

Return to “Other Equipment”