Wechselstromzusatzwecker

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Rotwang M

Wechselstromzusatzwecker

Post by Rotwang M » 12 Mar 2022, 22:13

The Wechselstromzusatzwecker (AC auxiliary bell) was an attachment for the Feldfernsprecher 33 and the Tischfernsprecher 38 field telephones. It provided an auxiliary bell that could be mounted in another room or outdoors and would insure that the called party would not miss a call. The AC bell consisted of a standard ringer assembly, like those used in the FF33, that was mounted in a wooden box with a Bakelite cover. On the cover were a jack socket and two binding posts for connecting the AC bell to a field telephone. AC bells are extremely rare especially outside the EU. To learn more about the Wechselstromzusatzwecker, visit Albert Lampl's website... https://der-fernmelder.de/zubehoer-nach ... atzwecker/

Wechselstromzusatzwecker

Wechselstromzusatzwecker ringer assembly

Ringer assembly

Recently, I purchased an FF33 frame for a magneto replacement project. The frame included a functional ringer assembly.

FF33 Frame

I had a wooden cigar box that was roughly the same dimensions as a Wechselstromzusatzwecker box. So, why not make a reproduction Wechselstromzusatzwecker?

The ringer assembly was removed from the FF33 frame, and new leads were soldered on. The assembly was temporarily mounted to a block of wood for testing.

The jack sockets were also removed from the FF33 frame.

The cigar box was just the right size.

The cigar box lid was cut down and the box was modified using strip wood.

The cigar box brand names were burned into the wood, so that had to be covered with epoxy so it wouldn't show through the paint.

The box was painted green. The lid was painted brown to simulate Bakelite.

Overstock.com had vent grilles that were close to the originals in size and configuration. Binding posts were obtained from an electronics supply house.

The finished AC auxiliary bell replica works when plugged into an FF33.

The replica AC bell connected to a Tischfernsprecher 38.

Check out my WW2 German field telephone equipment blog... https://rotwangm.wordpress.com/wechsels ... atzwecker/

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Wechselstromzusatzwecker

Post by Hans1906 » 12 Mar 2022, 23:34

Good evening Rotwang M,

thank you for your previous topics, as a technically very interested reader, your entries are very interesting.
Thanks also for the link to your weblog. which I also like to follow...

In earlier years, there were veritable mountains of this old material here in Germany, a lot of it was in bulky waste, and that regularly.
Whole legions of German scrap hunters carted away all that, long ago... :roll:

But who do I tell? :wink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Rotwang M

Re: Wechselstromzusatzwecker

Post by Rotwang M » 13 Mar 2022, 22:46

Hans1906 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 23:34
Good evening Rotwang M,

thank you for your previous topics, as a technically very interested reader, your entries are very interesting.
Thanks also for the link to your weblog. which I also like to follow...

In earlier years, there were veritable mountains of this old material here in Germany, a lot of it was in bulky waste, and that regularly.
Whole legions of German scrap hunters carted away all that, long ago... :roll:

But who do I tell? :wink:

Hans
Gerne geschehen!

Return to “Other Equipment”