Dienstglas nrs. Database

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Xavier
Financial supporter

Post by Xavier » 09 Nov 2006 19:01

could be for luftwaffe use, please check:

best regards
Xavier
Der Autodidakt

naka

could be for luftwaffe .........

Post by naka » 25 Nov 2006 07:47

The bino which was shown from "Poroh" isn't a German made bino, its a cut of halv of a british binoculars.

@ Xaviar
The Dienstglas rln isnt for the Luftwaffe equipment (Peildiopter = direction finder) shown on the two pics with the airplane. The Dienstglas rln is a late war production for the army made by ZEISS.

cynicSS

Question on Dienstglas

Post by cynicSS » 26 Nov 2006 20:38

Good day to all,

I have a dienstglas in 8x24. serial # 648168 made by zeiss in jena, blc +, and has weathered out carl zeiss jena on the left plate. Only the borderline is visible. I attached some pictures for reference. I have trouble finding information on binoculars in this size. When was it made and for whom. Is this an civilian bino that converted for military? Or possible WWI model remade in WWII for civil use? I purchased it from another collector who retrieved in on his trek at the ostfront by some barn/shell blast crater. More information on this bino is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cynicSS on 27 Nov 2006 08:51, edited 2 times in total.

cynicSS

adding to 8x24

Post by cynicSS » 26 Nov 2006 22:23

I searched online and looked at many carl zeiss jena markings for the left body plate. All have white lettering with carl zeiss on upper half and jena on bottom half within its border. Mine, however; show only the L Z in the photo, but under certain light angles, I can barely make out the entire brand. Only C**L ZEI** & JE**. I know that zeiss jena have been using this label prior WWI & throughout the second
Last edited by cynicSS on 27 Nov 2006 08:47, edited 1 time in total.

naka

Post by naka » 27 Nov 2006 00:27

Hi
its 100% a WWi modell, LZ hase nothing to do with Carl ZEISS.
Maybe (10%) it was used by the German in WWII. I collect German binos but I wouldnt buy it.
rgs

cynicalSS

8x24 conclusion

Post by cynicalSS » 27 Nov 2006 20:18

Well I understand 8x24 was not the standard issued binocular size to any WWII combatant. & by just being that size...naka immediately assumed it was WWI...REGARDLESS of weathered out carl zeiss jena lable on left body. Dienstglas & BLC + being stamped & imprinted on right body doesn't even slightly changed his answer. So when I came here to ask about this binocular & seeing such a rash answer... Well good for you, NAKA, if you collect binoculars...doesn't most member on here also? I found the ordnance code publication date for blc & it was issued to be in effect around mid February 1941. The serial number on the 8x24 does not signify that it was made before 1917, IF following Zeiss' cumulative production numbers. Hence I would have to search more in depth in Zeiss' production list to find actual date of manufacture for this uncommon size. Perhaps it was for civilian use or a custom order...I know the 8x24 is of WWI model & having "blc" changed my assumption on this binocular. So all I can guess from gathered information & insights, maybe it is a WWI binocular or REMADE during WWII, or REPAIRED during WWII, or has gone through both wars. All I know for sure is it was recovered on the Eastern Front...like many other equipments...forced to be thrown into shell crater for the Nazi disarmament. THAT IS WHY I HAVE SO MANY SECOND THOUGHTS. Now since I'm done here...not satisfied from an "experienced" binocular collector...who also lives in GERMANY...I will continue to find my answers by MYSELF if possible. If this is even reasonable enough for anybody to read, then have a great session & continue to find facts to provide sensible knowledge for other people.

With Full Respect,
From A Beleaguered & Fanatical
Waffen SS Reenactor, Collector
call me a bleeding cynical bastard...
done with this forum.

naka

Post by naka » 28 Nov 2006 21:58

You forgot to say that you chanced your post after I have done my answer, before you havent written that you see the rest of CarlZeiss in the light!!!

If there is written Carl Zeiss its easy what you have here. Its a WWi binoculars which was jused in WW II. After the bino came to a service they removed the word Carl Zeiss and marked the bino with blc.

Perhaps it was for civilian use or a custom order...
All Military modells have the big screw at the bottom so its not civillian

I will continue to find my answers by MYSELF if possible.
Good luck, its a nice 20 EUR bino

Firemanbv04

dienstglas nrs. Database

Post by Firemanbv04 » 22 Mar 2007 00:57

DDX KF Dienstglass 6x30 serial number i'm guessing this the right number 87904 it also has a marking of h/6400 any clue what that is? they were given to me as a gift from a british col. don't know were he got them. funny part is KF is for the cold and he was in africa during the war.

naka

Post by naka » 28 May 2007 16:49

Hi
Your's is a serviceglass of the German army, 87904 is the serialnumber, all binos from this serie got the lubricaationcode KF because in the factory they didnt know to which unit the bino came and on the other hand I think in the desserts it's cold in night.
The H/6400 is the information for the grid which is in the right side.
ddx is the three letter wartime code of Voigtländer

a-625434

Post by a-625434 » 11 Jul 2007 04:52

Naka, verify my opinjon about "M" mark. Is it true, that it indicates "metric threaded screws" instead of "Marine"

And how about a year of production for this bino?

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

naka

Post by naka » 22 Jul 2007 09:22

Hi
yes it's true the "M" means metric screws.
The word "Dienstglas " is always belonged with an army or airforce binoculars. The navy NEVER used the word "Dienstglas" !!!!!!!!
I couldnt say the date of your bino exactly but it's a a early one. Made between 1937 and 1939.

ddspectre

Post by ddspectre » 31 Jul 2007 20:35

Greetz ppl!
I've got another pair of dienstglas ;) Got them from my Grandfather. He, has a pair of them but i've got only one.
I'm interesting about the history of these binoculars.
The markings says; "Busch Rathe*ow" on left side covered with scratches and "Dienstglas 6x30 + 274840"clearly on the other, plus barely seen writings "M H76400"
Between the glasses i saw another markings like "275380"
The condition is bad i think,,, right glass is ok but left is very blurry
So thats it, if I could find another pair i'll post their markings here too.

WEISWEILER

Post by WEISWEILER » 27 Sep 2007 11:20

About rough dating your dienstglas: when it shows an actual mark (fe Voigtländer) it was produced BEFORE the war or in its earliest stage. When it shows only a code (in this case that would be ddx) it's a specimen produced during the war. This as I was told for the enemy not knowing where the dienstglas would heve been produced (?).

/W

lisset

looking for an item

Post by lisset » 27 Sep 2007 12:40

By any chance would any of you lads have one of these for sale or one going spare ?
6x30 sight for a 4 metre range finder *, also a 10x45 for the same unit.

I am presently buying this one from a gent in Norway.*

thanks in advance.

charlieshu

Dienstglas 7x50 bmk delta T -- request for more information

Post by charlieshu » 18 Oct 2007 16:34

Hello, These binoculars are from my uncle's estate. He told me many years ago that he brought these back from Europe at the end of WWII. Unfortunately, he did not like to talk much about his experiences in the war so I don't know where he may have obtained these. They are very dirty and show much wear. Also, the top lens of the eyepiece is cracked. Does anyone repair these old binocs? Are these considered rare? Which personnel would have used these binocs? As you know, both eyepieces are adjustable with reticle very clear in the right piece. What was the purpose of the hinged eyepiece cover -- I am guessing it was so they could be used with eye-glasses but I don't know. Any information you can give me on this set will be appreciated. I'm attempting to attach 3 photos for your review. Regards, Charlie

Return to “Other Equipment”