Luftwaffe and Marine Radarsites

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
SES
In memoriam

Re: Luftwaffe and Marine Radarsites

Post by SES » 20 Jul 2009, 22:51

Hi Jos,
Yes it was the first air transportable German radar, the predecessor of Freya Z and the subsequent Freya LZ. It is notworthy that the DeTe-f and the Freya Z both have an almost square cabin.
Attached the story seem form the angle of Herr Harry von Kroge.
bregds
SES
Attachments
GEMA_LZ_Page_1 (Large).jpg
GEMA_LZ_Page_1 (Large).jpg (106.33 KiB) Viewed 984 times
GEMA_LZ_Page_2 (Large).jpg
GEMA_LZ_Page_2 (Large).jpg (126.51 KiB) Viewed 984 times

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 20 Jul 2009, 22:52

. . . and Col K. O. Hoffmann.
Attachments
Pages from HOFFAMN Band II teil 1 m DeTe-f_Page_1 (Large).jpg
Pages from HOFFAMN Band II teil 1 m DeTe-f_Page_1 (Large).jpg (106.03 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Pages from HOFFAMN Band II teil 1 m DeTe-f_Page_2 (Large).jpg
Pages from HOFFAMN Band II teil 1 m DeTe-f_Page_2 (Large).jpg (103.68 KiB) Viewed 984 times

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 21 Jul 2009, 07:21

Hello SES

This is a totelly new Radar for me , thanks for sharing this information .

Regards Jos

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 21 Jul 2009, 08:11

Thanks Jos - for me too. The honor for the re-discovery should go to the helpful Norwegian mentioned on my WEB-site, I merely did some follow-up research, when I suddenly could see some old information in a new light. Sadly this radar type is not mentioned by Trenkle and the significance was missed by the allies, when they surveyed German radars in Norway. The latter should not come as a surprise, the allies missed the Freya Verbunkert and the FuMO 4 too.
bregds
SES

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 21 Jul 2009, 19:28

Yeah, excuses excuses all the time haha :D

here is the promised plan of the radar-building NEAR Flugmeldemess-stellung Drache. i hope it is a part of Drache, i see no other radarstations on the pdf.-file at Gyges.dk

i'm now busy studying all the towns arround this area that could start with the letter D.

another intresting subject: when we drived from GO Chesnois towards GO Fermont, we passed a militairy airfield, still in use by the french army. i hope it is like the stellung brias (JAFU 4) that it lies next to an airfield. perhaps this airfield was allready in use by the luftwaffe.

About the plan: the barrack is surrounded by a splitterwall with several staircases an some small storages, build in formsteine and wellblech-steel-covers. The barrack was covered with a wooden roof, because no traces are found of the roof today.

This is also my verry first drawning of a large barrack, the only mistake i made was with the radar emplacement on top, it is like "round-shaped" and not "egg-shaped". It's difficult because the emplacement have 12 different walls... Anyway i need to go back, perhaps with some professional help from our good friend Dirk Peeters. The barrack itself is fine measured, Allthough it was a hell of a job with all those different wall-thickness.

The walls underneath the radartower are 60cm thick, the others mostly arround 20-30cm and some innerwalls are only 13cm. The rooms at the right-side are heavily damaged, but i think they are for machinery? because the innerwall is there much thicker than others. (another reason could be that it is a supporting wall for the roof.) also in the splitterwall is a large opening in that corner, connected to a large trench.

Here is a drawning from where the emplacement fits on top of the barrack:

best regards

Tom Oliviers,

http://www.bunkerfreaks.be

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 21 Jul 2009, 19:30

PS: the images are to large to fit in here, so just click on them and then you see the full drawnings.

Tom

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 21 Jul 2009, 19:55

Thanks Tom

The barrack look to me very German , could the rooms under the emplacement be for generators ??

Regards Jos

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 21 Jul 2009, 20:26

yess Jos,

I forgot to drawn a sockle in the large room underneath the emplacement (shame on me)
i have mesured it though :D

Tom

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 21 Jul 2009, 20:32

Hi Tom,
You have done a great job, thank you very much for sharing.
bregds
SES

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 22 Jul 2009, 13:55

Hello SES

Do you think that these air transportable German radars stayed in
Norway during the war or were also used in other fronts like Crete ??

Regards Jos

stril

Post by stril » 23 Jul 2009, 13:43

Do you think that these air transportable German radars stayed in
Norway during the war or were also used in other fronts like Crete ??
The Freya nr 18 that is mentioned to be used in Stavanger in may 45 was in Norway pr may 45 and couldnt be used in Crete. Its noted to have a antenna frame made of wood, and it also had some "spesials" Cant see any reason why the antenna made of wood is still used 5 years afterwards, and still using its original setup ?
Im looking for notes about this radar. Similar setup on the westcoast of Norway was of little use, with the radar out of use most of the time due to weather conditions, equipment failure etc.
It would have been intersting to know if this radar was any better
regards
stril

division azul

Post by division azul » 23 Jul 2009, 14:43

Tom Oliviers wrote:yess Jos,

I forgot to drawn a sockle in the large room underneath the emplacement (shame on me)
i have mesured it though :D

Tom
make a new drawing of it,it also looks like you got the drawing just inside the page,because you went into the white area lol
nice find and plan

ik heb jullie site al een hele tijd in de gatenen al enkele keren op en af bekeken,vind het fantastisch wat jullie doen en hoop dat jullie het nog lang verderdoen en veel vinden

mvg sebastian
Willebroek

Bunkerfreak

Post by Bunkerfreak » 23 Jul 2009, 16:36

Hello Sebastiaan,

When i have a litle bit spare time i redrawn the barrack ;) its indeed started to much on the edge of the paper. Also i found some small mistakes in the plan, no large mistakes offcourse ;)

Ik zie dat je van willebroek bent... daar passeer ik wekelijks, aangezien mijn vriendin in Bornem woont. als je eens mee wil dan stuur je maar een mail naar: [email protected]

PS: hou de website maar goed in het oog ook, ben nu bezig met Omaha beach er compleet op te zetten ;-)
bedoeling is om heel D-Day online te zetten, maar dan langs axis kant bekeken...

cheerz

Tom

stril

Post by stril » 28 Jul 2009, 18:03

Hello
Added two pictures from Ebay. Seems to be a FuSE 64 Mannheim.
The "thing" in front of the soldier(first picture), what is it ?
regards
stril

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 28 Jul 2009, 20:17

Hi Stril

Very nice picture of the Mannheim radar , I have no idea of "thing" could be a optical device .

Regards Jos

Return to “Other Equipment”