Luftwaffe and Marine Radarsites

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
kstdk

Post by kstdk » 10 Feb 2004, 00:28

Next:

A couple of "old photos" - first, The WR radar - serial number D9.

regards
Kurt
kstdk
Attachments
Thyborøn - Lama, Würtzburg Riese, serienummer D9.jpg
Thyborøn - Lama, Würtzburg Riese, serienummer D9.jpg (135.65 KiB) Viewed 3757 times

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 10 Feb 2004, 00:30

Next:

The WR - Freya LZ - C and the Freya LZ Verbunkert.

Regards
Kurt
kstdk
Attachments
Thyborøn, Lama - 1945, WR + Freya LZ - C + Freya LZ Verbunkert.jpg
Thyborøn, Lama - 1945, WR + Freya LZ - C + Freya LZ Verbunkert.jpg (138.88 KiB) Viewed 3759 times

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 10 Feb 2004, 00:31

Next and last:

The Wassermann M1 - serial number 1241

Regards
Kurt
kstdk
Attachments
Thyborøn, Lama - Wassermann M1-serienummer 1241.jpg
Thyborøn, Lama - Wassermann M1-serienummer 1241.jpg (121.8 KiB) Viewed 3755 times

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 12 Feb 2004, 01:02

Hello all

I will go on with a small radarsite - situated in Bovbjerg on the middle part of the westcoast of Jutland.
At the lighthouse there was buildt a Marine radarsite with a Würtzburg radar, the type is mentioned as a Würtzburg Schere. It was buildt on a special emplacement, it is special because inside is a room for the crew.
Nearby there was buildt a R668 bunker to house the crew.
There was planned to build 2 more bunkers in the area ( R666 and R613 ) but this was never done.
Trenches is still visible in the terrain, and the emplacement and the R668 can be visited.

Picture one, is an airphoto of the area. The bunkers can be seen next to the lighthouse ( to the right, out against the seaside).

regards
Kurt
kstdk
Last edited by kstdk on 12 Feb 2004, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 12 Feb 2004, 01:03

Next:

The R668

regards
Kurt
kstdk

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 12 Feb 2004, 01:04

Next:

The base for the Würtzburg. The entrance to the crewroom is visible.

regards
Kurt
kstdk
Attachments
Radarfundament for Würtzburg Schere.jpg
Radarfundament for Würtzburg Schere.jpg (111.31 KiB) Viewed 3732 times

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 12 Feb 2004, 01:05

Next:

Old photo, the Würtzburg 1945.

regards
Kurt
kstdk

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 12 Feb 2004, 01:06

Next:

The R668 and visible trenches 194?

regards
Kurt
kstdk

beaviso

Post by beaviso » 17 Feb 2004, 01:44

Since this is my first post on this Forum, I'd like to say "hello" to all!

Well, I do admit that I've registered only because this thread seems to be very interesting to me. For several months I've been researching the subject of German radar installations and I've finally come to the point where the Internet pages cannot reveal anything new to me - but not the forums :)

I see some of you are from Denmark - lucky ones! As far as I know the mistery of German radar stations in Denmark is almost completely solved - all the stations and their equippment are known, there are quite a lot of nice remains.
Last edited by beaviso on 01 Apr 2004, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

beaviso

Post by beaviso » 17 Feb 2004, 02:04

Te next topic is a book by Col. M. Svejgaard on German radar sites in Denmark - has anyone bought it?

I wonder how detailed it is?

I'm looking for any info on Kriegsmarine shore radar installations on Baltic southern coast (today Poland), as this subject is a total mystery to me and anyone of my friends.

I'd also like to ask you about Wassermann-M series sites - do you know if any remains were left after these radars - any concrete socles, bases, etc.?

And btw. - can you identify these ruins. I know what it probably is, but I'd like to see any further opinions.
Attachments
lezyce.jpg
lezyce.jpg (29.82 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
Last edited by beaviso on 01 Apr 2004, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 17 Feb 2004, 09:45

Hello Beaviso

Welcome to the group. I will try to answer some of your questions.

Both the "Gyges" sites and the books are - i must aggree - very good !!
It is Mr. Svejgaard who has done both, and I can recomend the books, they are very detailed and written in English. Col. Svejgaard is also a member of this group and known as "SES" - I hope he dont mind me mentioning this, and i know him personally from our mutual interest and membership of another "Bunker Society" - so i can highly recommend his work.

Regarding your picture, i think it is the same as theese ( see 2 pictures )
It is a radarsite called "Lindwurm" in Fræer in the northern Jutland, and it was a "Jagdschloss" radar site, which also included a Würtsburg Riese and other installations.

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 17 Feb 2004, 09:48

Next:

Another picture from Fræer.

By the way- I am also very interested in the sites along the Baltic and Polish coastline. Do you know anything of the sites concerning the V2 testline along the coast, and of the site at Leba.

If you have any info on this, or radarsites in that area, please let me know - you are welcome to send me a personal mail - if so.

Regards
Kurt
kstdk
Attachments
Fræer, Lindwurm - Jagdschloss Ver. 1.GIF
Fræer, Lindwurm - Jagdschloss Ver. 1.GIF (124.77 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
Last edited by kstdk on 17 Feb 2004, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 17 Feb 2004, 09:52

Next:

Concerning the Wassermann sites, i will try to make som photos ready for you. There are several remains in Denmark including the L485 - L487 bunkers with sockles on top - and of course several WR bases as well.

Anything special in mind ???

Regards
Kurt
kstdk.

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 17 Feb 2004, 09:55

Hello Beaviso.
Very gratifiyng to hear from someone in Poland with the same interest. I feel that we are few and far between. If can highly recommend my Vol 2, from the work you do and the questions you ask it would be of great use to you. In Denmark there are a few Wasserman M foundations left at the Skaw, at Houvig, at Blåvand and Rømø. I will publish a drawing to night. Would you by any chance know of the Gefechtsstand of NJRF 112 the later Jagdabschnitts Führer Ost Preussen or do you have a russian contact whichcould help us?

Kind regards
M (SES) Svejgaard

[quote="beaviso"]Te next topic is a book by Col. M. Svejgaard on German radar sites in Denmark - has anyone bought it?

Vol. 1 - Der Luftnachrichten Dienst in Denmark, "Post Mortem".
Vol. 2 - Der Luftnachrichten Dienst in Denmark, Sites, Equipment and Constructions
http://www.gyges.dk/Gyges%20Pub%20Comp.htm

I wonder how detailed it is?
Last edited by SES on 01 Apr 2004, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

beaviso

Post by beaviso » 18 Feb 2004, 19:23

Thank you for your interest.

SES -> I've sent you a PM.

kstdk ->
Concerning the mystery photo. Yes, I also think this is a Jagdschloss site after seeing some time ago the same pictures you included. It is said to be never completed (construction started late 1944). Today it's so badly damaged because local peasants stole some bricks from it for their own use. The most interesting thing is that it wasn't a Luftwaffe site. It was placed near Gdynia/Gotenhafen (large naval base) at one of the surrounding heights near a flak emplacement. It was most probably operated by parts of 5. Marine Flugmelde Abt. which stationed in Gdynia. Besides some militaria hunters found several dog-tags that fit 5. M-Flum-Abt. near the radar site.

The fact of existence of any Marine sites remains unknown. I wonder if there were at least few stations like these on Danish western coast. There is one place with a single W-R socle (not a known Himmelbett site), on the very coastline - a typical W-R foundation standing near the edge of the high cliff. That might be a FuMO 214, methinks.

And finally - LEBA rocket testing site you asked about.

I've a short book in Polish that describes all hypotheses. The most obvious is that Leba was NOT a V-2 testing site!!!!!!

But of course it was used for rocket test launches. They contained trials with:
- Feuerlilie (first prototypes)
- Rheinbote = V-4 (ballistic SSM, an alternative to V-2, said to be better but having less support among German officials)
- Rheintochter (SAM, very promising, almost 100 were fired from Leba)

Rheintochter was guided to its target with radar. It must have been of course some 3-dimensional device, most probably Würzburg-Riese. It was replaced with Mannheim-Riese, which was a W-R with better electronic equippment. Only a few were built and it's said they were used to support rocket trials. Today a socle can be found (see photo below).

regards,
Michal
Attachments
Mannheim-Riese socle.jpg
[source: unknown or private]
Visible sign says "Entrance forbidden".
Mannheim-Riese socle.jpg (83.71 KiB) Viewed 3598 times
Last edited by beaviso on 01 Apr 2004, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Equipment”