Unknown part from?

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Erik E
Financial supporter

Unknown part from?

Post by Erik E » 07 Jul 2002 01:09

This "thing" showed up on a old airfield nearby.
I have absolutely no idea what it could be.......
There are several bulletholes in it, but that may have been done after the war.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 07 Jul 2002 01:14

At first, I would say some engine part, posibly a muzzler or tank of some sort.

It looks a bit like the muffler on the Pz III and IV, but it's hard to tell with no real comparison of size...

Christian

Mark V
Financial supporter

Post by Mark V » 07 Jul 2002 01:33

This is wild guess, but maybe it is some sort of oil burner that was used to warm engines in winter?

I have seen dozens of WW2 photographs where engine compartment of fighter/bomber is covered by heavy canvas cover that has like a funnel down to earth. In the bottom there is gasoline/kerosine/diesel burner that warms the the whole front of aircraft.

Never actually seen such burner because in the photos the canvas funnel always covers the burner...

If it was found in Norway and near airfield that would support my theory. Is the "burner" part much tougher construction than the bottom "tank" part?

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 07 Jul 2002 01:33

Actually both these types were near this airport, as a part of ”BeutePzKp Stavanger” A mix-up of all different types of tanks, both French and German......
How can I find out if it is a muzzler?

EE

Return to “Other Equipment”