Bismarck!

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Paul Timms

Scuttling

Post by Paul Timms » 12 Oct 2002, 11:35

Gentlemen,

From all accounts she was on fire stem to stern, all weapons out , hundreds dead and wounded. Would you risk your neck to go below to scuttle a wreck that was doomed. I've always had a problem with why anyone would scuttle her, when she was obviously doomed. If for some reason she was lightly damaged but crippled maybe ? but in her state ? Other than the Russo-Japanese war a Battleship has never been captured/recovererd in battle.

Paul

Karl da Kraut

Post by Karl da Kraut » 12 Oct 2002, 16:24

The Bismarck's superstructure had almost completly been laid waste to by British artillery fire. The armored belt, however, had not been pierced; thus the vast majority of the crew was alive when she went down.

Several survivors stated that a demolition team had been send downwords and scuttled the ship by opening water ventiles.

If, or how fast, she would've sunk without being scuttled cannot easily be determined.

A ship might not only be scuttled to avoid capture but also to prevent an enemy boarding team to gather valuable information.

admfisher

Last dive

Post by admfisher » 12 Oct 2002, 19:25

On the last dive they found the main belt was pierced. Dont forget it was only a 12 main belt.
As for the crew under the armored deck and behind the belt they would of had more than enough time to set scuttling charges.
The last dive found evidence of internal explosions that would fit scuttling, but it is a moot point. The ship was to go down one way or the other.

Matt Gibbs

Hmmm

Post by Matt Gibbs » 13 Oct 2002, 00:42

Since the resulting Naval battle and the huge destruction wrought about by both sides during it's fighting, not forgetting of course there were only 3 sailors surviving the destruction of the Hood and hundreds killed or drowned in the sinking of the Bismarck I find the bickering about the cause of the sinking to be pretty tasteless myself.

To me it was only meaningful at the time to either side as a propapganda issue to squabble over how it went down. To my mind I look at the number of hits and also hear the stories of the Kriegsmarine survivors who say they heard of a scuttling order. I suppose anyone who wishes do doubt their story has thier own view but I am not going to call any of those sailors a bare faced liar. I am prepared to believe the fact that those orders may have been given since there is no real way of proving beyond all reasonable doubt how the ship went down after the devastation caused by torpedos [however may may or may not have hit] and the shell damage.

May those of both sides who fought and died rest in peace.....

William Wagner

Post by William Wagner » 19 Oct 2002, 17:48

Where is the best site to see pictures of the Bismark and Hood wreck.
Including those from the latest dives.

admfisher

bis

Post by admfisher » 19 Oct 2002, 19:06

John Asmussen from: The History of Bismarck and Tirpitz:
was on last dive and actually went down himself, for more info contact him.
http://www.bismarck-class.dk/index.html

William Wagner

Post by William Wagner » 21 Oct 2002, 01:03

Yes but I need some sites with pictures of the wreck and the Hood wreck

That site does have some nice links though that did help quite a bit

admfisher

contact

Post by admfisher » 21 Oct 2002, 19:06

Hi there

Contact John the webmaster there, and check the HMS Hood site at:
http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/wreckdive.html

Return to “Other Equipment”