Questions on German radios

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Ovidius

Questions on German radios

Post by Ovidius » 29 Jul 2002 19:39

1. Please, can anyone indicate a site with (even basic) info on German aircraft radio sets?

2. Was the Henschel Hs-123(predecessor of Ju-87 Stuka) fitted(or even retrofitted) with a radio set? Apparently those examples which fought in Spain had no radios, but a radio set is essential for coordination during the so-called "Blitzkrieg".

~Thank you,

Ovidius

Mark V
Financial supporter

Re: Questions on German radios

Post by Mark V » 29 Jul 2002 21:49

Ovidius wrote:1. Please, can anyone indicate a site with (even basic) info on German aircraft radio sets?

Ovidius

Hi.

I think i have quite gooooood link on this....

http://www.armyradio.com/

- go to "your articles"

Scott Smith

Warplanes of the Third Reich...

Post by Scott Smith » 29 Jul 2002 22:01

Ovidius,

William Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich has the information in it. Unfortunately it is an expensive book and somebody ripped-it-off from the library so I can't look it up for you.
:x

TonyG

HS 123

Post by TonyG » 30 Jul 2002 06:55

I just had a look at William Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich, he makes no mention of the Hs 123 having a radio installed at all, but one photo caption mentions the "radio call sign" letters on the fuselage. These are the "normal" ID letters seen on the majority of WWII German aircraft e.g KB+QA.

Try this link http://www.laud.no/la6nca/radio/german/german3.htm

Scott Smith

Re: HS 123

Post by Scott Smith » 30 Jul 2002 08:50

TonyG wrote:I just had a look at William Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich, he makes no mention of the Hs 123 having a radio installed at all, but one photo caption mentions the "radio call sign" letters on the fuselage. These are the "normal" ID letters seen on the majority of WWII German aircraft e.g KB+QA.

Darn! But thanks for looking, Tony.
:)

Ovidius

Post by Ovidius » 30 Jul 2002 11:54

Thanks everybody.

The sites are pretty interesting, but nobody seems to know anything about the radio set on Henschel Hs 123.

I'm pretty much sure that it had a radio, because on all Hs 123 planes that appear in photos is visible a "wire" structure atop the fuselage that can't be anything else than an antenna(a bracing wire has no reason to be in that position), and this as early as 1936-1937, when the plane entered service.

But exactly what type of a radio, nobody seems to know :cry:

~Regards,

Ovidius

The emblem looks more or less like the one of L.G. 2

Return to “Other Equipment”