Cdn War Museum II

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Aufklarung

Cdn War Museum II

Post by Aufklarung » 09 Aug 2002, 02:59

More pics of axis kit at subject museum.
Attachments
pz ii.jpg
Pz II C
pz ii.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
pz i.jpg
Pz I A
pz i.jpg (57.65 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
opel.jpg
Steyr RSO/01
opel.jpg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
Last edited by Aufklarung on 10 Aug 2002, 05:58, edited 2 times in total.

TonyG

Great pics

Post by TonyG » 09 Aug 2002, 04:40

Nice pics

The third one is a Steyr RSO/01 (Raupenschlepper Ost)

The RSO was developed by Steyr during 1942 and used the transmission of their standard 1.5ton Truck. The suspension was of a rather crude design, and it gave rise to excessive vibration which contributed to the low speed. The wheels were entirely of steel and mounted on quarter-elliptic leaf springs. But it had a ground clearance of 55cm (22"), which allowed the vehicle to keep moving even in the worst conditions.

RSO tractors were mainly used to tow 75mm PaK and 105mm leFH, and it was extensively used by Volksgrenadier divisions. In 1944 Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz, Gräf & Stift and Wanderer joined Steyr in the production that continued right up to the end of the war. In all 27950 was made in three models:

RSO/01: The original model made by Steyr from late 1942 to 1944
RSO/02: In 1943 a SP tank destroyer was made by placing a 75mm PaK 40/4 on a RSO
RSO/03: Slightly modified version with Einheits-cab produced from 1944 onwards

Cheers Tony
http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedFores ... C/RSO.html

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 09 Aug 2002, 16:05

Thanx much Tony. I had read the plaque but was running around snapping pics and running outta time as well!! I've only posted the axis items but have some allied snaps if anyone wants a look. I guess I could post them in "Enemies" section. Is that OK, Marcus? :idea:

Linlu

Post by Linlu » 09 Aug 2002, 16:38

Hi all,

I'm looking forward to that new Canadian War Museum they are going to build. Havn't been to Vimy House for a long time. What time are they open at?

- Linlu :mrgreen:

Aufklarung

Hours

Post by Aufklarung » 10 Aug 2002, 05:01

I believe it 0900-1600, 7 days till the end of Aug, after that.....I'm not sure. Sorry. Putsome $ in the box!

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 10 Aug 2002, 17:24

Good pictures - I want to go to Canada :|

Christian

admfisher

Museum visits

Post by admfisher » 11 Aug 2002, 00:29

Hi all

I scanned my images of HMCS Haida the other day, there are some nice pictures of the B Turret inside, a forward look at A, the twin 20 mm, mount.
There is also the front and back of the auto twin 4 in mount, the torpedos, some engine room shots, the depth charges and a few more.

In September I am going to CFB Borden to take some more pics. They have a Panther A, with some nice detail, a Wirblwind, this is going to have a shot into the turret as well as the tank.
There are there, a T34/85, T72, Grizzly, Churchill, Matilda, Sherman with a fail, then the guns, a 75 Pak, and a few others.

This will make for some nice collections. My friend in Germany has sent me shots from six musuems in Germany. There is the shots from the museum where the Tripitz was launched, a great armored exhibit at one place. This museum has some very interesting exhibits.
The first pic is interesting showing the patch in the sherman turret, the sturm has a hole in its side wall.
The secound pic is to give an idea of what they have. They built the them and best preserved them no wonder.
The Borden tank are all outside, with no maintaince given except to the T 72 and paint to the others.
The Haida the ship that sank more enemy vessels than any other canadain ship is preserved but the hull is gradly rotting away.
She needs something like a five million dollar dry docking to save her.
Now that would be a shame, she was on the missions to Murmansk, she went was on the operation which ulitmatly sunk Scharnhorst, she ran the Germans ragid off of the French coast before and after Normandy.
There is one time a British commander who was in charge had to order her to quit firing on her enemy, even though the enemy was finished. Then she served in Korea.

This little ship has seen more action than some of the US BB's that have been saved. Our goverment needs to help keep her alive.

For me I have visited her six times and each time it is like walking back 50 years.

Grant
Attachments
sinsheim2.jpg
Sinsheim display2
sinsheim2.jpg (108.5 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
sinsheim.jpg
Sinsheim display1
sinsheim.jpg (100.41 KiB) Viewed 2275 times

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 11 Aug 2002, 02:51

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Good pictures - I want to go to Canada :|

Christian

Come on over, we got lots of room. Better yet, I want to go to Denmark. :D

Aufklarung

Re: Museum visits

Post by Aufklarung » 11 Aug 2002, 02:55

admfisher wrote: In September I am going to CFB Borden to take some more pics. They have a Panther A, with some nice detail, a Wirblwind, this is going to have a shot into the turret as well as the tank.
There are there, a T34/85, T72, Grizzly, Churchill, Matilda, Sherman with a fail, then the guns, a 75 Pak, and a few others.
Here's the web address for that museum.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/6209/

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 11 Aug 2002, 14:15

aufklarung wrote:
Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Good pictures - I want to go to Canada :|

Christian

Come on over, we got lots of room. Better yet, I want to go to Denmark. :D
Yes, I would - but I don't have the time or money... :?

You're welcome to come over - not as much space, but great anyways... ;)

CHristian

admfisher

Museums

Post by admfisher » 11 Aug 2002, 18:53

Believe me when I say this:
Europe is the place to be for museums. If I could I would love to take a trip to Europe for the museums alone.

We should list the top museums and what it is that makes them best for the people looking to go see the real equipment.

Grant

Return to “Other Equipment”