German biological weapons?

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Mait

German biological weapons?

Post by Mait » 28 Aug 2002, 22:26

Hello.

How far did the Germans reach with studies and preparation for biological warfare in WW2? I know that the Japanese had many successes in that field and used successfully germ warfare against China. And the US had at least developed some reserves of botulism bacteria. But what about the Germans?

Best Regards,

Mait.

Oberst Mihael

Post by Oberst Mihael » 29 Aug 2002, 12:05

As much as I know they had biological weapons but did not want to use them because they knew of the reprecussions (the Brits had them too).

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Well

Post by David C. Clarke » 29 Aug 2002, 16:42

Hi Guys, I'm not sure about biological weapons, I think that instead of going that route, Germany developed some very good chemical weapons, Sarin and Tabun, if my memory serves me correctly. But I can't remember reading about the production and stockpiling of biological agents. Cheers, David

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 29 Aug 2002, 20:12

Actually there is no need to (or possibility) to stockpile large amounts of germs. If some nation has developed a germ that is able to be weaponized you just keep small amount of it alive. When need arose you just cultivate them and in matter of days to few weeks you have your stockpile available for immediate use.

I haven't either heard much about German bio-weapon program, but i suspect that considering Germanys very high level of medical industry it wouldn't have been too much problem to develope and weaponize a bio-weapon.

Mait

Post by Mait » 30 Aug 2002, 11:20

I think that for biological weapon You have to:

1) Develope the germ that has potential to be used as a weapon

2) Have equipment to hold neccessary amount of it ready for cultivation

3) Have equipment developed for the distribution of the germ as a weapon

I am interested what the germans did in these pointed fields during ww2.

Best Regards,

Mait.

Return to “Other Equipment”