net instead of schürchen

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Daniel L

net instead of schürchen

Post by Daniel L » 07 Sep 2002, 15:43

what was the reason of replacing the schürchens with net if the reason for schürchens was to protect the tanks against anti-tank rifles? was the nets used as a anti hollow charge defense?

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 07 Sep 2002, 17:09

I'm not entirely convinced schurtzen were first concieved to stop AT rifle rounds either. I'm sure they would slow them down but c'mon, there's no way a round from one could penetrate the main armour of a PzIV. I have never seen a 38t or PzII with schurtzen and those tanks were at risk from the sov AT rifle. The added weight and bulk and pain of adding schurten to the PzIV G and later models, reduced the ability of the tank and I don't see this being done for AT rifles. Now the sovs were getting bazookas early and using them alot. The hollow or shaped charge was much more so a threat. Thats a reason for schurtzen. :P

Chain screens were lighter and did the same job against shaped charge projectiles by detonating them away from the main armour. Makes sense, yes. :lol: I'm not sure but I don't think the chain went on the turrets, just hull sides. The schurtzen usually stayed on the turret didn't they? :? I'm talking Pz IV here.

regards
A :D

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 07 Sep 2002, 18:16

The Pz.Kpfw. IV J was the only vehicle to have the net ones. They were lighter, and used less metal. The nets were only aplpied to the sides, not to the turret...

Christian

Daniel L

I've seen a jagdpanzer IV with net-schürzen

Post by Daniel L » 07 Sep 2002, 18:35

I'v seen a illustration of a Jagdpanzer IV with schürzen, is that incorrect. Perhaps the anti-tank rifle rounds wasn't a threat to the armour of the tanks but it sure was for the tracks. I've heard of ideas about the schürzen being simply a mean of strengthen the armour.

Erich

Net Schürzen

Post by Erich » 07 Sep 2002, 19:20

The net schurzen was used in 1945 only.......or so I thought on the Pz IV and Jagdpanzer IV. Yes to your question of schurzen net on the Jagdpanzer as there are 1/2 pics in the squadron/signal booklet on the vehicle. Did think the net was used only for protection against the bazooka rounds that were visiting German armor in ever increasing numbers. Anti-tank rifles were being fazed out so they were not of consquence........correct ?

E

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 07 Sep 2002, 22:39

As far as I can tell, the original reason for the skirts was against AT rifles, but as the years went by, that changed to protection against shaped charges and warheads of that sort. By 1945, if the job could be done with less weight and metal, why wouldn't you?

Logan Hartke

Erich

Post by Erich » 07 Sep 2002, 22:41

Logan :

As I mentioned in the previous posting, didn't net/metal schürzen devlopment was in 1945 ?, and if so then AT rifles were not in useage....

E

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 07 Sep 2002, 22:45

Exactly, I was just agreeing with you.

Logan Hartke

Erich

Post by Erich » 07 Sep 2002, 22:50

Yes, I re-read your last post......sorry :idea: Geez.....

Wake up Erich !

E

Return to “Other Equipment”