Identyfying this Gerät

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
c_hoff82

Identyfying this Gerät

Post by c_hoff82 » 16 Jun 2005, 20:04

Hello

I took this pictures some years ago at a MKB.
Can any of you help me identify this?
Nowdays I regret that I didnt take more pictures, but it was before the age of the digital cameras... :(

It was located quite close to the water with a little open place in front of it, and stairs leading up to some bunkers.

Regards
C. Hoff
Attachments
Gerät.jpg
Gerät.jpg (123.08 KiB) Viewed 5139 times

FLECKTARN

Post by FLECKTARN » 16 Jun 2005, 20:33

Perhaps something to do with the powersuply of a searchlight?

c_hoff82

geråat

Post by c_hoff82 » 16 Jun 2005, 21:31

That was what I thougth too. I didnt see any remains of the searhligt, but it migth as well have been a mobile one

danielburgess

Post by danielburgess » 21 Jun 2005, 04:12

My guess it that it is a mobile searchlight? Excuse my lack of knowledge, but could that thing in the first picture be some kind of power generator control? Like an Ammeter/voltmeter kind of thing?

Cheers...

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 21 Jun 2005, 09:31

Hi all,
The control panel looks a bit more complex than that required for a power generator and have features normally associated with more complex electronic equipment. Please see: http://www.gyges.dk/operator_and_display_equipment.htm There are two "control wheels", suggesting controls for slewing some sort of equipment and the large handle to the left also looks odd. But I have no idea about which sort of equipment it could be associated with. It's a very fine find, hope it's still about and could be recovered.
bregds
SES

jopaerya

Post by jopaerya » 21 Jun 2005, 19:44

Hi Ses and C-Hoff

Found a picture of a aggregat for a Scheinwerfer 60 cm
it looks very complicated .
Foto = Bundesarchiv Koblenz

Regards Jos

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 21 Jun 2005, 21:31

Hi Jos,
Very nice shot of something we don't see to often :-). Agree on the complexity, but Hoff's Gerät lacks the mega fuzes, which to me also indicates that this is not a power control panel.
bregds
SES

c_hoff82

gerät

Post by c_hoff82 » 21 Jun 2005, 21:39

Hello

I just found some old notes of mine that I took the time I was there:

The red plate to the left says: Achtung - Beim Einschalten Hebel schnell in obere Endstellung bringen

The black plate to the rigth says: Plombe nur bei Störungen am Selbstregler, dann unschalten auf Handreglar.

On the two black "boxes" at the bottom of the panel it say: Stotz

I hope this can help us. During my summer hollyday I will wisit this place agian. I hope it still is there.

SES
In memoriam

Post by SES » 21 Jun 2005, 21:50

Hi,
Yes the handle on the left looks like something required to engage (Einschalten) "something" which has achieved the required speed of revolution like a kind of clutch handle. If the thing is still there, try to get some good close-ups of the panel and the various knobs and labels. Jos does this help, my German isn't good enough to fully understand all the text.
bregds
SES

c_hoff82

gerät

Post by c_hoff82 » 21 Jun 2005, 22:15

Hi agian

According to my german knowledge the plates says:

Red: Attention - When connecting, place the handle quick in the top endposition.

Black: (this was a hard one...) Seal only when there are disturbances at the regulator, then disconnect with the handle

I will visit the location in 4 weeks. Then I will take many pictures of the Gerät and the surroundings. Maybe something around will tell us the use of this machine.

C. Hoff

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 21 Jun 2005, 22:52

Hello all

Dont know if this is relevat, but the caption to this picture says:

"Quote":

Hier die etwas ungewönliche Leuchtstellung eines 150 cm. Scheinwerfers an der Atlantikküste.
Dieser Scheinwerfer war anscheinend nur zum Einsatz gegen Seeziele gedacht. Er ist starr auf einem zweiachsigen Sonderanhänger versockelt, von dem die Räder abgenommen wurden.
Scheinwerfer und Sonderanhänger stehen auf abgeklappten Horizontierungsspindeln, soweit erkennbar, sind es je drei auf jeder Seite. Es fehlen auf der linken seite der Höhengradbogen und das Höhenhandrad.

"Unquote"

Translation:

Here is the unusual emplacement for a 150 cm. Searchlight on the Atlantic Coast.
This searchlight was probably for the use on targets at sea only. It is positioned on a two axle special trailer, of which the wheels are taken off. The searchligt and the trailer is positioned on folding horizontal spindles, three on each side.
On the left side is missing the ( Höhengradbogen and Höhenhandrad ??)

My point is: There could be something special about searchlights for targets at see ??

And these pictures was taken at a MKB ( Marine Küsten Batterie ) !!!

Source: "Horchgeräte - Kommandogeräte und Scheinwerfer der Schweren Flak" - Werner Müller ( Waffen-Arsenal nr. 12 )

Regards
Kurt
kstdk.

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 21 Jun 2005, 23:23

My take on the labels:

"Attention - When switching on, move the handle quickly all the way up."

"Remove the lead seal only if the automatic control fails, and then switch to manual control."

Stotz was (and still is) a manufacturer of electrical components. The two grey boxes look like they might be the housing for fuses. Note the big switches on the front.

All that aside - where is this equipment? Is it part of a museum, or abandoned and salvageable for restoration?

Cheers
Leo

c_hoff82

gerät

Post by c_hoff82 » 22 Jun 2005, 15:27

Hello Leo Niehorster
Thanks for the translation, I guess it was easier for you to translate it since you are from Germany.
This equipment is at an abandoned costal fortress.

I didnt know that Stotz was a manufactorer. I will examin them closely during my visit.

Does any of you know the usual way of positioning the search ligths in relation with the guns? This Gerät is positioned a little further into the fjord than the gun positions. And also lower in the terrain.

Nice photo kstdk.

C. Hoff

ChrisMAg2

Re: gerät

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 22 Jun 2005, 17:10

c_hoff82 wrote:....
Does any of you know the usual way of positioning the search ligths in relation with the guns? This Gerät is positioned a little further into the fjord than the gun positions. And also lower in the terrain.
What makes you think this is a norwegian fjord? The Beach looks to me more like somewhere in the Low countries or France. Don't you think?

Regrads
Christian M. Aguilar

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 22 Jun 2005, 17:46

Hello Christian

C. Hoff is referring to the two first pictures, which is taken by himself - in "a Norwegian Fjord" near his own hometown.

The last photo which i have uploaded, is - as you say - from the Atlantic Coast of France, correct - but that was to show the positioning of a Searchlight in a Marine Coastal Battery!!

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Return to “Other Equipment”