portepee for german police dagger

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
spaghettino

portepee for german police dagger

Post by spaghettino » 03 Feb 2009 00:01

Hello everybody! I need some opinions on this portepee. Is it an original or just a good copy? Thanks in advance.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVYuhq0

spaghettino

Re: portepee for german police dagger

Post by spaghettino » 03 Feb 2009 12:54

Anyone please?

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 24 Mar 2009 19:02

I have an example of a well-worn bayonet knot with cloth strap instead of leather. I have a few of these minty cloth versions too.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 24 Mar 2009 20:17

Spagettino,
I couldn't get the pictures to come up, however if the hanger part is leather, it was intended as a sword knot, the bayonet knot would have a cloth "strap"......however, that said....I have had bayonets with sword knots and swords with dagger knots.....(Police "bayonets", of course, weren't really bayonets....most weren't cut for the rifle, and those that were actually don't properly fit (usually won't "click/lock" on....)

I've had several mint, unissued Police knots.....over the years so in and of itself, that wouldn't bother me.
John G.

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 24 Mar 2009 21:40

The small green stripped knots were for the Polizei Seitengewehr - Police Sidearm. The straps were made both of leather or cloth. Larger green stipped knots were for NCO Swords. Smaller all silver knots on police (black/red/silver) straps were for officer wear on bayonets; larger all silver knots were for officer swords.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”