Hitler / Italian Dagger

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
knieptang
Banned

Hitler / Italian Dagger

Post by knieptang » 17 Feb 2005 19:59

This is a picture from 1938, showing Hitler wearing an Italian Dagger.

Source: http://www.ronterpening.com/extras/league_ex.htm

Who presented the Dagger to Hitler, or is Hitler wearing the Dagger to honor Mussolini?

Thank you! Michael

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 17 Feb 2005 21:44

Thsi dagger was preseneted to Hitler for his State Visit to Italy in May of 1938. Also note the Corporal of Honour shoulder badge that Hitler wears. This was presented to him during Mussolini's state visit to Germany in Sept 1937.

Hitler never wore either item again after the state visit in 1938.

Mark Costa

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 17 Feb 2005 22:05

Thank you very much Mark, for this first information!

Some time ago, I found much more better pictures in high resolution, to sorry, I have lost the link, will look further...

I do not understand
Corporal of Honour shoulder badge

Also I understand, that Hitler wore a dagger only one time, only at this occurrence, other pictures of Hitler wearing a dagger are unknown to me.

Thank You again! Michael

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 17 Feb 2005 22:20

Another picture, shoulder badge is to see... :idea:

Source: http://www.aaunique.com/modules.php?nam ... e&sid=3528

Regards Michael

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 17 Feb 2005 23:24

I have found this one in the Internet
FASCIST HIGH LEADER Dagger - Price $9075.00
Source: http://www.millermilitaria.com/collecta ... /EW228.htm

But this dagger looks a little bit different, the handgrip is black, not white (Ivory...?), as in the pictures above?

Better pictures, very appreciated, thank you...

Regards Michael

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 18 Feb 2005 02:12

Michael:

In your second photo you see a clearer shot of the black triangle above Hitler's armband. This is the insignia of the "Corporal of Honour". It was a distinction in the Italian Fascist Party. Hitler's was slightly different from Mussolini's as Hitler's had the symbol of the Fasces instead of an Eagle like Il Duce's.

Mark Costa

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 19 Feb 2005 02:18

Thank you again, Mark!

Do you know the translation in italian language for name of the triangle-patch, I have found some close-up shots of Mussolinis patch at Time & Life Pictures, but no good pictures of Hitler, wearing the patch?

Regards Michael

From Time & Life Pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 19 Feb 2005 17:38

I have a good closeup of Hitler's Corporal of Honour along with the award document in Italian that was presented at the same time and will post these after I have scanned them for you.

Mark

Walter

Post by Walter » 20 Feb 2005 07:18

knieptang wrote: Do you know the translation in italian language for name of the triangle-patch,...
That would be the triangolo-zona

Rich Yankowski

Post by Rich Yankowski » 21 Feb 2005 23:41

As far as I know,this is the only dagger Hitler was ever pictured wearing.I would love to know what became of it.

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 24 Feb 2005 00:51

Rich, I see that you are an expert concerning german dress daggers, from many postings before, thank you for all this.

Most of the state-gifts presented to Hitler were stored or on display in the Reichskanzlei in Berlin, there are many pictures to find at Corbis oder Time Life Pictures, rooms full of gifts, paintings, glassware, porcelain, weapons and other precious gifts, presented to Hitler, not only at his 50th birthday.

Berlin / Reichskanzlei was conquered by the Red Army in 1945, and I think, most of these items were plundered and brought to Russia, perhaps this very special dagger as well, who knows...?

Regards Michael

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 24 Feb 2005 02:58

Michael:

Most of the items you seen in the color photos from TimeLife are items that were presented to Hitler as say on his Birthday celebrations and should be confused with items presented to him personally by heads of state. Most of those items such as this dagger were most likely stored at either the Berghof or at the Fuhrerbau in Munich. Those person items at the Berghof were destroyed by SS Obergruppenfuhrer Julius Schaub just before the US arrived. The items at the Fuhrerbau were basically captured intact. Although this dagger was not among any items found. If the Russians had found it -- they have eventually displayed it as they have other items. My guess would be that it was at the Berghof with Hitler's other pre-war personal items. Hence destroyed by Schaub.

Here is the scan of the Corporal of Honor and Award Document.

Mark

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 24 Feb 2005 03:03

Scan of Corporal of Honor

Mark Costa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 24 Feb 2005 03:26

Thank You, Mark!

Another very good contribution to this thread, another riddle solved, great!

I have never seen this before, absolutely amazing...

Regards from Germany!

Michael

Rich Yankowski

Post by Rich Yankowski » 26 Feb 2005 23:58

knieptang,thanks for the compliment,but I'm far from an expert on edged weapons!They are my passion,however there are many,MANY that know much more than I do.

And thanks all for making this a very informative thread! 8)

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”