Question about mail transport from Munich to Brest-Litowsk in March 1944

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Newkidontheblock

Question about mail transport from Munich to Brest-Litowsk in March 1944

Post by Newkidontheblock » 05 Feb 2024 20:36

Hello everybody,

I have the attached document in my collection and am currently writing an article about it. While I can provide insights into the Italian side, which is my specialty, I need some assistance in uncovering details about what may have transpired after it left Italian territory. It was mailed on February 21, 1944, and arrived on March 19th. The recipient was an Italian railroad worker.

I would appreciate any help in understanding how the letter could have been transported from Munich, where it underwent postal censorship, to Brest-Litovsk. I assume air transport was employed, given that land travel was unsafe and slow. However, I am unsure if there were any regulations prohibiting civilian correspondence on mail planes, often used for military communication. The notably swift transport time of 28 days further suggests air transport is plausible.

If air transport is indeed correct, could you also provide information about the route and the airports that might have been utilized?

Thank you very much in advance.
Ostland.jpeg-2.jpg
Ostland 1.jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GregSingh

Re: Question about mail transport from Munich to Brest-Litowsk in March 1944

Post by GregSingh » 06 Feb 2024 10:10

It is unlikely that an air transport was used to send a civilian letter in the begining of 1944. It went by train.
For highest priority military rail transport it would take less than 3 days to get from Bologna to Brest-Litowsk in the best case scenario.

The main route would be: Bologna - München - Berlin - Warschau - Brest-Litowsk, but other routes might include those south of Berlin, for example: Leipzig - Posen or Dresden - Breslau.

There are detailed railroad maps available as well as timetables for various trains if you want to have a closer look.

Newkidontheblock

Post by Newkidontheblock » 10 Feb 2024 22:14

GregSingh wrote:
06 Feb 2024 10:10
It is unlikely that an air transport was used to send a civilian letter in the begining of 1944. It went by train.
For highest priority military rail transport it would take less than 3 days to get from Bologna to Brest-Litowsk in the best case scenario.

The main route would be: Bologna - München - Berlin - Warschau - Brest-Litowsk, but other routes might include those south of Berlin, for example: Leipzig - Posen or Dresden - Breslau.

There are detailed railroad maps available as well as timetables for various trains if you want to have a closer look.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer.

Where can I access those train routes and timetables? I may need those to explain other items in my collection.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 11 Feb 2024 06:09

Newkidontheblock

Post by Newkidontheblock » 11 Feb 2024 18:29

GregSingh wrote:
11 Feb 2024 06:09
Good place to start: https://www.deutsches-kursbuch.de/
Great! Thank you very much.

Reichskriegsgericht

Post by Reichskriegsgericht » 12 Feb 2024 21:14

Air transport for civilian correspondence was available until March 1945. However, your cover doesn't show any air mail label which would have been required. Instead the label 'Espresso' shows it was paid and franked for special delivery. I have no postal history literature regarding italian postal rates of that era, but perhaps you do?

Special delivery was in any case needless, since the offices of the Deutsche Dienstpost did not deliver any mail. The mail hat to be picked up by the receiver.

The censorship was indeed Munich, the office there handled all mail from and to Italy. The transport time was IMHO not swift. Even by rail it should have reached Brest-Litowsk in a few days. The long transport time was due to the censorship in Munich.

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”