Members who color photos

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
sobel
Financial supporter

Re: Members who color photos

Post by sobel » 24 Feb 2010 14:32

Another one from me, Gunther Rall

Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sobel
Financial supporter

Post by sobel » 24 Feb 2010 14:33

And a slightly different one, Some British WW1 Soldiers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stroodle

Post by stroodle » 25 Feb 2010 03:01

Larry:
Just so you wont be alone in the sign posting.
David

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 25 Feb 2010 10:34

stroodle wrote:Larry:
Just so you wont be alone in the sign posting.
David
Very nice, I like it! :D

Larry

stroodle

Post by stroodle » 25 Feb 2010 14:50

Karry:

Thanks. Here is another. As I do not have a collection of photo's, I tend to look to various archives for examples. I also tend to work on armor photo's, lots of variants in paint schemes.
David

stroodle

Post by stroodle » 25 Feb 2010 14:51

Sorry....meant Larry. Cold here this morning so the fingers and brain are not in sync.

sobel
Financial supporter

Post by sobel » 25 Feb 2010 18:35

A rather striking impression of the Reichs Kanzlai, curtesy-Bundesarchiv

sobel
Financial supporter

Post by sobel » 25 Feb 2010 18:40

Another Panzer officer Russia

Beek

Post by Beek » 25 Feb 2010 19:43

sobel wrote:A rather striking impression of the Reichs Kanzlai, curtesy-Bundesarchiv
That looks great ! It could be a post card or an advertisement for a hotel. I love the idea of color photos. The work that Larrister did for me ( Great Uncle and Grandfather and family, both posted ) brings a new perspective that is fantastic. My father and family members were very moved by the images because after years of looking at black and white photos the memories become black and white and these images seemed "warmer".
I was wondering if either of you have heard of any negative reaction by those that believe that photos should remain in their original state?

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 26 Feb 2010 10:45

Beek wrote:
sobel wrote:A rather striking impression of the Reichs Kanzlai, curtesy-Bundesarchiv
That looks great ! It could be a post card or an advertisement for a hotel. I love the idea of color photos. The work that Larrister did for me ( Great Uncle and Grandfather and family, both posted ) brings a new perspective that is fantastic. My father and family members were very moved by the images because after years of looking at black and white photos the memories become black and white and these images seemed "warmer".
I was wondering if either of you have heard of any negative reaction by those that believe that photos should remain in their original state?
Personally I haven't had any negative feedback, anyway I am only coloring a copy of a B&W photo while the original stays
the same. If color film was readily available to the average photographer in those days then most photos would have been in color.
Coloring a photo brings life to it and as Beek says: "brings a new perspective."

Larry

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 26 Feb 2010 11:10

Here is a photo from my collection of members of Nachrichten Abt. 2 at the Belsen-Bergen Kaserne in the mid-late 1930's.

Larry

Larrister

Post by Larrister » 26 Feb 2010 11:12

The exact spot as it is today. Photo from the great site http://www.forgottenhistory.co.uk

Larry

sobel
Financial supporter

Post by sobel » 26 Feb 2010 11:37

Larrister wrote:
Beek wrote:
Personally I haven't had any negative feedback, anyway I am only coloring a copy of a B&W photo while the original stays
the same. If color film was readily available to the average photographer in those days then most photos would have been in color.
Coloring a photo brings life to it and as Beek says: "brings a new perspective."

Larry
I generally agree with Larry that if colour film was readily available then most of these images would have been in colour.

Colourising images can be seen by some people as a contentious issue and I have had comments that it destroys the historical value of the original image, but as Larry says, the original still remains black and white. I too spend much time researching uniform colours, medal ribbons etc to ensure they are as accurate as possible. and certainly have numerous projects partially completed but as I can't find a particular detail (Uniform, medal ribbon) they remain unfinished and not posted. My particular field are portraits and feel that if you were to meet them, they would be in full colour and not black & White!

best regards

Alex K

sobel
Financial supporter

Post by sobel » 26 Feb 2010 11:52

One from the "Other" side, source "Life"

sobel
Financial supporter

Post by sobel » 26 Feb 2010 11:54

Three studies of the Zeppelinfeld

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”