Value of Snapshot Photos of Mussolini Hanging??

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
nate57star

Value of Snapshot Photos of Mussolini Hanging??

Post by nate57star » 15 Jan 2010, 20:48

I recently acquired a few original snapshots of the Mussolini hanging. They depict him and the others hanging upside down. They are not what I would say close-ups, but certainly not taken at a distance either. They are similar to what you see online when you search "Mussolini hanging." They are originals. Thoughts on how much they would be worth apiece? Thanks.

geo1969

Re: Value of Snapshot Photos of Mussolini Hanging??

Post by geo1969 » 13 Feb 2010, 16:45

i also have a pic taken of mussolini after his death.
pretty close shot. it too is an original. looking to find
out what it's worth to sell. pic is 6x9 and in good condition.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 27 Feb 2010, 14:21

Most of the photos of Mussolini & friends being hung are prints made from originals that were apparently readily availible to the GIs in Italy at the time....(like the dead Japanese pictures & Naked Native women pictures)......These would have to be totally "new" unpublished pictures with negitives to be of any real value.....even then, unless they show something unique....not of great value.

There were few, if any, American's present when they hung Mussolini's body.....so most of the pictures taken were widely printed and distributed....though most were not actually published due to thier graphic nature....

Doubt you'll get rich....sorry.
John G.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 27 Feb 2010, 15:33

John G. you are right on with opinions.
I read almost daily of someone on a forum with original, unpublished photos, etc. and ALL are reprints, and modern to boot!
And also, I doubt a 6"x9" is an original either.

Mholyghst

Post by Mholyghst » 18 Dec 2018, 23:59

I have a photo of him hanging that my grandfather took. I know this because i have the negatives for the pic as well. He was a recon photographer for the army air corp. Knowing that this is an original, how much would the pic and the negatives be worth?

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 13 Feb 2019, 22:36

Very difficult to estimate value, especially without seeing the clarity, actual view, etc. (Not saying to post the picture)...... But probably not too much..... Unless it shows something of historical importance.... Not my speciality but with hundreds of photos taken of the event it probably is just another view.
Don't mean it has no value, but how much is anyone's guess.
John G.

ihoyos

Post by ihoyos » 28 Mar 2019, 20:21

It is important if photos add something new, to the historic event. Many yeras ago many people think that hanging was and Italian event alone, but years latter some picture emerge with Gi soldiers around the Loretto Plaza, and the bodies hanging, with confirm American soldiers were already in that spot

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”