German Political Ballot-still looking for information

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Brig

German Political Ballot-still looking for information

Post by Brig » 22 Feb 2003, 05:32

Hello, I've obtained this original political ballot, an earlier one in the history of the NSDAP's electoral career. The supporters are listed as powerful lawyers, businessmen, etc and the NSDAP is even the checked party 8O . I, and a few other long-time collectors who have checked it out, are about 97% sure it's original, and in very nice condition. I am wondering, what can you guys tell me about it? At the very least, what are your opinions?
Attachments
Ballot.JPG
Ballot.JPG (71.86 KiB) Viewed 369 times

Brig

Post by Brig » 22 Feb 2003, 05:35

BTW, a few notes. the sides are yellowed a bit from age, and the paper is EXTREMELY thin, a tiny bit thicker than carbon paper. it's like those tri-receipts you write by hand. Musty smelling, faintly. very nice piece

White Leopard

Ballot

Post by White Leopard » 22 Mar 2003, 22:14

Looks like a Weimar-era Ballot to me. The parties were assigned a numeric position and often put the number they had on the ballot on their election posters. Interesting note is that NSDAP started out in position number 5 in one election and is number 1 in this one. Hmmm...it would be interesting to know how the numbers were given out....:?

Everything you said would seem indicate that it is what is. True yellowing is hard to fake. Most old paper tends to crumble because it isn't acid treated. But I suppose the only absolute way to guarantee it would be to have a chemical test run to determine the true age of the paper.

The fellow who faked the Hitler diaries went to the trouble to find some old notebooks to write them on. But they weren't old enough. When they were finally tested by a chemistry lab it was determined that the paper was manufactured in the 1960's, not the twenties, thirties, or forties. It exposed the diaries for the fake that they were and some major news magazines and media sources were totally embarassed.

(Sidebar: Anyone on the board could have told them they were fake at first look. They were mostly handwritten. Hitler hated to write things out by hand. The ignorant fools were no doubt impressed by the fact that they were handwritten and so were more easily duped.)

Brig

Post by Brig » 23 Mar 2003, 00:42

hmm...I know a chemistry teacher. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”