Need help with photos

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
grillerg

Need help with photos

Post by grillerg » 29 Jul 2017, 21:56

Hi guys, first post!

So my Grandad died a couple years ago, and I was lucky enough to inherit all of his war photos. The photos are all of my Grandad, his fellow soldiers, some scenery shots etc. Whats odd though is that there are 2 photos that I just cant fathom. One photo is an awkwardly-cut photo of what seems to be a German soldier, with some German written in pencil on the back (I have no idea what it says). The other larger photo is (I believe) the same German soldier out of uniform.

I have tried many times to try and figure out why my Grandad would have these two pictures as part of this collection? Made friends maybe? I have also tried to work out what the uniform can tell us of this German fellow. I thought it looked very similar to the Luftwaffe's overseas uniform?

All I can tell you is that my Grandad fought exclusively in Italy, and he witnessed the hanging of Mussolini in 1945. He was blinded from shrapnel and was obviously sent home. My Mom, Aunt and Uncle all say he never ever spoke about the war for the rest of his life.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated, I genuinley dont know what else I can do to find out any info on this mysterious German!

Thanks!

(Photos can be found here- https://ibb.co/hqEzx5 )

von thoma

Re: Need help with photos

Post by von thoma » 02 Aug 2017, 00:27

I have also tried to work out what the uniform can tell us of this German fellow. I thought it looked very similar to the Luftwaffe's overseas uniform?
Hello grillerg :

Seems to be a Luftwaffe enlisted man with collar patches of a Flak unit.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

grillerg

Post by grillerg » 04 Aug 2017, 18:05

Thats brilliant mate, had no idea what the collar patches were. Thanks!!

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 04 Aug 2017, 20:51

Hi,

The writing on the back of the picture says:

Zur Erinnerung
an Deinen
Kamerad Fritz

In memory of your
Comrade Fritz.

So you have at least his name.

Best Regards
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

grillerg

Post by grillerg » 05 Aug 2017, 17:36

Hohlladung wrote:Hi,

The writing on the back of the picture says:

Zur Erinnerung
an Deinen
Kamerad Fritz

In memory of your
Comrade Fritz.

So you have at least his name.

Best Regards
You have no idea how grateful I am for that, I've been trying to work that out for so long! I'll write out the English and keep it with the photo just incase ;)

Thankyou very much mate!!!

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 06 Aug 2017, 00:24

:milwink:
No problem, you are welcome
:thumbsup:
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”