German military maps Eastern Front

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Ebusitanus

German military maps Eastern Front

Post by Ebusitanus » 04 Oct 2019 10:04

Hello,
Around two years ago I found a website that had practically all german military maps from the eastern front which you could download if you could make sense of their reference code which was directly based upon russian captured maps. I sadly lost that link.

Anyone might have the website?

I am trying to writte an article about the chaotic combats around the soviet operation "Little Saturn" starting in November 1942 around the Don-Donetz area but I am struggling to find period correct maps with the germanizted names as used back then.

Any help would be welcome

Thanks in advance

UlrichH

Re: German military maps Eastern Front

Post by UlrichH » 04 Oct 2019 13:56

Hello

maybe you mean Johns homepage, he had transfered all to a ftp server.

https://jcarlcalvin.wixsite.com/wwii-photos-maps
regards

Uli

Ebusitanus

Post by Ebusitanus » 04 Oct 2019 15:59

Thanks Ulrich, I will check it out.

Maps that I would need are

M-37-VIII
M-37-IX
M-37-XII
M-37-XIV
M-37-XV
M-37-XVII
M-37-XVIII

Regards

UlrichH

Post by UlrichH » 04 Oct 2019 17:45

Hello

If I interpret this correctly, the maps are on a scale of 1:100,000.
Unfortunately, they're not on john's server.
Which area is this?
there is another map page:

http://igrek.amzp.pl/
regards

Uli

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 05 Oct 2019 08:58

A word of warning: the German maps of Russia (1:300 000 in any case), which were supposedly copied from the Soviet maps don't always match up that well. I redrew a number of the German maps and when I came across the actual Soviet wartime maps at Pamyat-Naroda, I ended up having to redraw parts of my maps to conform to the Soviet maps. It is usually the road network that is different and a number of villages that are missing.

I have noticed from NARA documents that the German army at times used copies of the actual Soviet maps, so if you are following some action you might need to know what maps they were using.

Another thing you need to be aware of is that the Germans usually refer to topographical features by meters and the Soviets by 1/10 of meters. If you are using Soviet documents you almost have to the Soviet maps to figure out what feature is being referred to. Finally, use the wartime maps and not the post-war ones, the post-war maps can be very different from the wartime maps.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 05 Oct 2019 11:57

Some of the maps Ebusitanus is after can be found at the location Ulrich provided in the section:
Rußland IIWŚ 1:100 000 (kopie mapy sowieckiej - Blatt 4x) /1941 - 1944/

German edition called: February 1941 Sonderausgabe, with names both in Russian and German language.
Germans used these maps only at the start of Barbarossa as these were based on older Soviet maps, some based on pre-1917 maps, not really up to date in 1941....
The first step to immortality is death.
Jerzy Lec

Ebusitanus

Post by Ebusitanus » 08 Oct 2019 14:37

Thank you so much for you great links. Sadly the area I am looking for seems not to be amongst the maps I have seen in:

Rußland IIWŚ 1:100 000 (kopie mapy sowieckiej - Blatt 4x) /1941 - 1944/

I am trying to follow the combats around the Soviet Little Saturn operation and its aftermath. Destruction of the Italian 8th Army and the operations/retreats between the Don and the Donetz rivers from december 1942 to february 1943. Basically following the combats of the Armee Abteilung Fretter-Pico and the Armee Abteilung Hollidt. Millerowo, Voroshilovgrad, etc.

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”