Help with translating/researching document group

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
jmcn1990

Help with translating/researching document group

Post by jmcn1990 » 07 Oct 2020 21:55

I recently purchased this document grouping named to a German Feldwebel, Otto Liening and would like some help figuring out what some of it means. Apologies If I ask anything that's been answered a million times.

First is the medal document for the Iron Cross 1st Class.

I'm not sure what it says right before his name but I'm assuming its his rank. It looks like he was part of the 4th Schutzen Regiment of the 6th Panzer Division, but I'm not sure what the 8. represents. 8th company or 8th battalion? I'm also not sure what the O.U or D.U is before the date.

Next is the Wound Badge in Silver.

By now he was a Feldwebel of the 4th Panzergrenadier Regiment (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Schutzen regiments were simply renamed to Panzergrenadier around late 42/early 43?). Again not sure if 5th company or 5th battalion. Its dated March 21st 1943, I'm assuming the other dates at the top are the previous times he was wounded. I'm not sure why the first date has no year or if that's a typo which is why I also don't know if he was wounded 3 or 4 times. The 6th Panzer Division was at the Battle of Moscow so im pretty sure the 12/4/41 wound must have taken place there but please give me your opinion. Not sure about the other dates, I know the 6th Panzer Div. was involved in the failed relief of Stalingrad but I don't know if that would match up with those dates.

Lastly the Eastern Front Medal

This one really confuses me. I can make out Feldwebel Otto Liening and the date, July 16th 1942 but not the line in between. I can't make out what the stamp says either.

I'd also like to figure out the signatures on each one if possible.

GregSingh

Re: Help with translating/researching document group

Post by GregSingh » 08 Oct 2020 01:39

:welcome:

8th company
O.U. = Ortsunterkunft (quarters/place of residence)

2./Feld-Ers.-Btl. 57 = 2nd company, Feldersatz-Bataillon 57

It's a hospital's stamp. Reserve-Lazarett ..... (can't really see town's name)
You can try your luck here: Reserve-Lazarette, but I'm not sure if this list is a complete one.
The first step to immortality is death.
Jerzy Lec

jmcn1990

Post by jmcn1990 » 08 Oct 2020 04:50

GregSingh wrote:
08 Oct 2020 01:39
:welcome:

8th company
O.U. = Ortsunterkunft (quarters/place of residence)

2./Feld-Ers.-Btl. 57 = 2nd company, Feldersatz-Bataillon 57

It's a hospital's stamp. Reserve-Lazarett ..... (can't really see town's name)
You can try your luck here: Reserve-Lazarette, but I'm not sure if this list is a complete one.
Thanks so much man, both for the info and for the welcome.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 08 Oct 2020 13:35

Hi jmcn1990,

to be honest I`m not sure where to start reg. your long post. Guess the best will be from the top to the bottom ;-)

Your guy did hold the rank "Uffz. = Unteroffizier = NCO" in your first document (EK I) from 1941, in the others from 1942 and 1943 it´s indeed "Feldwebel".
As Greg mentioned he´s part of the 8th company from the 4th Schützenregiment. The first part/unit is always smaller in those files than the unit name after the slash. A regiment doesn´t hold eight battalions, at least not in my country.
Here some info about the commander, Generalmajor Erhard Raus, of the division (hope it´s interesting?):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhard_Raus
Ridiculous that they write on this page
" [...] Several days later he moved the divisions across the river as well as thousands of plundered cattle and horses.[7] [...]
but ignore the more important info on the German Wiki:
" [...] Bei Kriegsende geriet Raus in amerikanische Kriegsgefangenschaft, aus der er am 30. Juni 1947 entlassen wurde. In der Nachkriegszeit arbeitete er als Angehöriger der deutschen Abteilung der kriegsgeschichtlichen Forschungsgruppe der United States Army, der Operational History (German) Section der „Historical Division“, verschiedene Denkschriften für die amerikanischen Streitkräfte über die Besonderheiten der sowjetischen Kriegführung aus. [...]"
translated
At the end of the war, Raus became an American prisoner of war, from which he was released on June 30, 1947. In the post-war period he worked as a member of the German department of the war history research group of the United States Army, the Operational History (German) Section of the 'Historical Division', various memoranda for the American armed forces on the specifics of Soviet warfare.
Maybe that´s only because this is uncomfortable information for some people.
Last edited by history1 on 08 Oct 2020 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 08 Oct 2020 14:06

Referring to the wound badge in silver:
It´s 5th company of the 4th Panzergrenadier Regiment. I think that he first injury happened in the same year as the 2nd as both are written in the same line. But of course no evidence for that.
And from the text it´s clear that he was injured/harmed three times. the next line below the dates start with "dreimaligen Verwundung oder Beschädigung = triple injury/harm..".
I do agree with the engagement near Moscow and the engagement at the relief of the Stalingrad pocket. But as far as I know the latter ended on Jan.31st 1943 so Liening received his third injury ~ a week later.

Regarding the last document I can only add that the stamp reads "Reserve - Lazarett Zeithain".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeithain

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”