Request Identification of Destroyed plane shown in photo. I believe it’s a Russian plane but I’m not sure what exactly

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Heartfeltzero

Request Identification of Destroyed plane shown in photo. I believe it’s a Russian plane but I’m not sure what exactly

Post by Heartfeltzero » 31 Dec 2021, 18:25

F55AFAEB-CEA3-4A5F-B731-A5333C6972AD.jpeg
The photo shows a German looking at a crash Russian plane. I’m trying to figure out what kind of plane it was.

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Request Identification of Destroyed plane shown in photo. I believe it’s a Russian plane but I’m not sure what exact

Post by Hans1906 » 31 Dec 2021, 19:13

Heartfeltzero,

I have similar German photos from Sevastopol in my photo collections, and I am pretty sure that it was a Russian
Polikarpow I-16 (Nicknamed "Rata" ("Ratte" / "Rat") .

Polikarpow I-16 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polikarpow_I-16

A typical souvenir photo of the time, soldiers sent such photos to their German homeland to impress their relatives.

My "Sevastopol" photo convolute comes from the estate of a member of the "Marineartillerie" the naval artillery, the young man served as a gunner in an anti-aircraft unit.
120 photos to be thrown away in 2008/2009, I saved the pictures from a garbage can.
Likewise, I have been able to talk several times with the widow of the soldier.
The man ended up in psychiatry after 1945, he could not cope with his war experiences. A very tragic story.

After 1945, the man worked as an assistant cook for the English / Canadians in my home town of Bad Zwischenahn.

Maybe one day, I can post these photos here, unfortunately I don't have this convolute here at hand.

Hans

Attached one of the photos from the soldier on his way to Sewastopol, taken in Romania, inscribed on the back with "Zigeunerkinder".
The man was a good photographer, his photos are more than worth seeing.
Attachments
Zigeunerkinder.png
Zigeunerkinder.png (448.87 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

von thoma

Re: Request Identification of Destroyed plane shown in photo. I believe it’s a Russian plane but I’m not sure what exact

Post by von thoma » 07 Jan 2022, 03:12

The aircraft was exactly a Polikarpov I-153 ' Chaika '.
Attachments
Polikarpov.jpg
Polikarpov.jpg (164.01 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 07 Jan 2022, 11:59

Another Polikarpov I-153 destroyed
Attachments
i153blotch.jpg
i153blotch.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”