Soldier history.

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Haamrtime

Soldier history.

Post by Haamrtime » 04 Nov 2022, 20:50

20221104_125255.jpg
Back
20220825_132907.jpg
Front
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am looking for the history of the soldier who painted this. My Grandfather worked as a guard in the German POW camp in Alva Oklahoma. He aquired this painting while there. The symbology is pretty obvious to me except the clear cut on the hillside. Wondering what type of soldier the painter was.

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Soldier history.

Post by Hans1906 » 05 Nov 2022, 15:57

Hi Haamrtime,

I'm not an expert on German POWs in Allied custody, but the number on the back of the painting was probably his "Gefangenennummer" / "Kriegsgefangenennummer" in Allied custody.

Here one link in german language about your question:
Was ist aus der Gefangenennummer zu erkennen? / What can be seen from the prisoner number?
Forum der Wehrmacht dicussion, started in the year 2016: https://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/inde ... -erkennen/

Hans
P.S. Typical German, overly long designations, which unfortunately can be mistyped very quickly, sorry... :wink: :welcome:
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 05 Nov 2022, 16:13

A small note, the artist was probably not a so-called "academic" trained painter, rather a talented amateur, unfortunately, I can not recognize the depicted landscape..?

The framing of the painting most certainly dates from the post-war period, 1950s or 1960s.

Edit: Before I forget, Herr Stefan Reuter in the "Forum der Wehrmacht" is an expert on German prisoners of war in American and Canadian captivity.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Haamrtime

Post by Haamrtime » 05 Nov 2022, 20:51

Thank you Hans, very much appreciated.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 05 Nov 2022, 21:20

The landscape looks typically "German", a birch in the foreground, children or young people are bathing in the river, etc.

But birch trees don't grow in such regions, most certainly an "idealized" idea of a German homeland.

Painting of a German prisoner of war far from home is almost obvious...

Please report more, if you find something ?

Hans

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”