German war photographers

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

German war photographers

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 24 Jul 2003 20:50

Does anyone know if there's some kind of record of German war photographers?

Christian

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 25 Jul 2003 09:44

http://www.feldgrau.com/wsskb.html

Although I know this isn't what you are looking for it might be useful.

Best regards/ Daniel

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 25 Jul 2003 20:43

I was searching for something like this, but cevering them all (not just Waffen-SS).

If it isn't available, maybe we should start a thread for voulenteers on making such a list?

Christian

Tolga Alkan
Financial supporter

Re: German war photographers

Post by Tolga Alkan » 25 Jul 2003 21:50

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Does anyone know if there's some kind of record of German war photographers?

Christian

There are very famous photographes i am also wondering the owner of these photos,i must add me to question.

Tolga

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 25 Jul 2003 22:38

I have compiled a list of my press photographs, wher I can identify the photographer.

I have also included company, date, area, unit and photo number, if applicable. Anyone want to share information?

Christian

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 26 Jul 2003 10:40

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:I have compiled a list of my press photographs, wher I can identify the photographer.

I have also included company, date, area, unit and photo number, if applicable. Anyone want to share information?

Christian

I will take a look and see what I have.

Best regards/ Daniel

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 26 Jul 2003 16:09

That's be great, Daniel

Anyone else?

Christian

ckleisch

Post by ckleisch » 27 Jul 2003 00:16

Signal has their photographers listed in credits, articles and in photographs

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 27 Jul 2003 00:22

ckleisch wrote:Signal has their photographers listed in credits, articles and in photographs

Yes, but I lack Signal magazine ;) - do you happen to have any?

Christian

stril

photos

Post by stril » 27 Jul 2003 14:01

Hello.
Some years ago a norwegian got back his photos that he had taken during the war on the eastern front. He was granted the copyright.
As they was "proffesional" photographers, and their "company" they work for isnt around anymore it might be the same case for the other photograpers.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Re: photos

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 27 Jul 2003 14:27

stril wrote:Hello.
Some years ago a norwegian got back his photos that he had taken during the war on the eastern front. He was granted the copyright.
As they was "proffesional" photographers, and their "company" they work for isnt around anymore it might be the same case for the other photograpers.

I know that in both Norway and Denmark, at least, copyright on photographs lasts until 50 years after the photo is taken (not after the photographer dies).
In either case, since these prints have been bought in good faith, it cannot be demanded that we deliver them back ot the photographer, should he still be alive...

I know that some companies are definately still in existance - for example Weltbild and Associated Press.

My motive doesn't have anything to do with copyright, though, but rather to trace the faring of war photographers, which can then help in identifying locations/units/etc. better on other photographs...

Christian

craigob

Post by craigob » 27 Jul 2003 14:38

I have a few signal hard cover "annuals" and the lists are as follows (from "years of Triumph - 1940-42)

These deal with france and the russian front

Correspondent Hahle
Correspondent Kempter
Correspondent wagner
Correspondent Benno Wundshammer
PK Middendorf
Correspondent Wett
Bernard lohse
Hanns Hubman
Huptman Puschner
PK Gohring
PK Gronefeld

there are about 30 other names credits for various pics

John Doe

Post by John Doe » 27 Jul 2003 15:36

Sorry ´cos my post is a bit off topic...

I recommend you a book of a photographer who has in Mauthaussen as a prisoner... He made photos and he also kept the photos of the SS.

I´m not sure about the translations to other languages, but the translation of the title should be " Francisco Boix, the photographer of Mauthausen ".
I have it in Spanish :D

http://www.circulo.es/Contenido/Libros/ ... digo=21377 ( to buy it, in Spanish )

Regards, Javier

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 27 Jul 2003 16:37

Panzerfaust wrote:I have a few signal hard cover "annuals" and the lists are as follows (from "years of Triumph - 1940-42)

These deal with france and the russian front

Correspondent Hahle
Correspondent Kempter
Correspondent wagner
Correspondent Benno Wundshammer
PK Middendorf
Correspondent Wett
Bernard lohse
Hanns Hubman
Huptman Puschner
PK Gohring
PK Gronefeld

there are about 30 other names credits for various pics

Now, if we can also connect these to the location and possibly unit or company, it'd be extra helpful...

Mirko Bayerl

Very interesting

Post by Mirko Bayerl » 31 Jul 2003 18:53

Hi Guys,
Very interesting topic indeed.
This has been one of my favourite hobby - to connect SS-KB with Divisions...but hardly its not a easy work. I had for several years a lot of copys from the Magazine for KB in Waffen-SS and it was called "Berichter Kurier"...here you could find hundreds of KB photographer and reporters - where and when they left units and was transported to other units - german as well as other volunteers,Norwegians,Dänes,Dutch or even Ost völker KB.

Its acctually easyier to locate Waffen-SS KB as they worked in level of Division and each Div. had its own KB-Zug. It was different with WH -KB they worked in level of Korps.

I have been in contact with some KB during the years - one of them still had his "contact -map" with photos (SS-Polizei, Hungary 44).

Sometimes you could find loyal KB , that stayed longer by it units , ex Jarolim (Wiking) and Grönert (SS-T).
I will try to get back copys from my copys of Berichter-kurier - - stupid as i was i gave the bunch away for several years ago.
But i can promise you could find every SS-KB from 43 -45 in them.
And in each volume it was a article about some KB...so it was bloody interesting....

BTW: i found Grönert several years ago- but he did not wants to remnember anything...Jarolim...i found his brother that told me Jarolim was KIA in Feb 45 (Hungary).

Mirko

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”