Auschwitz Currency???

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Aleksei

Money, money, money

Post by Aleksei » 18 Jun 2002, 04:49

.:MarK_III:. wrote:I will talk to the gentlemen on saturday and ask him all your questions, and ask his permission to post his currancy.

Hello,

PS. - Money, money, money
Mostly honey .... ( ABBA).

Thank you.

Aleksei

rewake

Post by Aleksei » 26 Jun 2002, 09:27

.:MarK_III:. wrote:I will talk to the gentlemen on saturday and ask him all your questions, and ask his permission to post his currancy.
just rewake

Thank you.

Aleksei

Re: rewake

Post by Aleksei » 28 Jun 2002, 06:23

Aleksei wrote:
just rewake

Thank you.

just rewake

Thank you.

David E M

Lagergeld

Post by David E M » 28 Jun 2002, 09:36

I hope he can too, but for now here is one from Oranienberg.
Attachments
geld.jpg
Lagergeld
geld.jpg (17.42 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

Aleksei

Re: rewake

Post by Aleksei » 04 Jul 2002, 18:45

Aleksei wrote:
Aleksei wrote:
just rewake

Thank you.

just rewake

Thank you.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 04 Jul 2002, 19:13

Aleksei,

There is no need to post the same thing over and over again, so please stop.

/Marcus

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 04 Jul 2002, 19:56

When I get , I will post it, sorry for the delay.

Aleksei2

anti_scrolling

Post by Aleksei2 » 25 Jul 2002, 21:19

Benjamin Fanjoy wrote:When I get , I will post it, sorry for the delay.
Thank you.

I will wait.

PS/ "Prime time" topic for real history undersdanding.

Charles Bunch

Re: Auschwitz Currency???

Post by Charles Bunch » 25 Jul 2002, 21:59

sylvieK4 wrote:Most of us have seen currency that circulated in various ghettos during the Nazi period, such as the examples below from Terezin and Lodz.
An acquaintance of mine, who collects rare/ historical coins and bills, insists he has seen currency printed by the Germans for use inside the Auschwitz-Birkenau KZ. He wants to purchase some of these bills.

I say there was no currency printed for in-camp use at Auschwitz, and that if he is able to buy examples of bills purporting to have been used at that KZ, he will be throwing his money away on fakes.

Does anyone here know if there was ever currency printed for in-camp use at Auschwitz-Birkenau during the Nazi zeit, or is this alleged currency a post-war scam targeting collectors?
An excellent article on Ghetto and Concentration camp money can be read here:

http://motlc.wiesenthal.com/resources/b ... hap08.html

This is what it says about Auschwitz.

(quote)

In addition to the aforementioned camps and ghettos where information on money issues is known to some degree, there are numerous other camps that issued currency, although no information exists about the currency. Other camps that had money issues included: Auschwitz, Bohlen, Dachau, Flossenburg, Grini, Gross-Rosen, Haselhorst, Neuengamme, Ravensbruck, Sachsenhausen, and Stutthof. In the spring of 1945, as the Allies drew closer, the Nazis began to destroy records of their crimes, including papers relating to the development of camp monetary systems. The result was that few bills and even fewer documents survived, in effect creating numismatic rarities. Although this does not preclude the possibility that information might surface in the future, it is probable that our knowledge will grow slowly, if at all.

(end quote)

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 26 Jul 2002, 01:31

Thank you, Charles, for that informative post. The article was really interesting.

Aleksei2

Re: Auschwitz Currency !!!!!!!

Post by Aleksei2 » 26 Jul 2002, 05:47

[quote="Charles Bunch"][quote][quote="sylvieK4"]
there are numerous other camps that issued currency, although no information exists about the currency. Other camps that had money issues included: Auschwitz, Bohlen, Dachau, Flossenburg, Grini, Gross-Rosen, Haselhorst, Neuengamme, Ravensbruck, Sachsenhausen, and Stutthof.

**************note_this***********
In the spring of 1945, as the Allies drew closer, the Nazis began to destroy records of their crimes, including papers relating to the development of camp monetary systems. The result was that few bills and even fewer documents survived, in effect creating numismatic rarities. Although this does not preclude the possibility that information might surface in the future, it is probable that our knowledge will grow slowly, if at all.

Thank you for infor.

But I doubt validity of such kind of "fundamental explanations". Why ? - Because it is NOT an EXPLANATION, but some kind of trivial attempt of TRANSPOSITION (translation, shift, covering) ONE FACT to another one's [or even an arrays of "facts"] with addition of new
groundless statements - like this " .....although no information exists about the currency".

So, sorry - ones again "... girls, girls, girls!" Oh, Maaaaa! Sorry! - " ... words, words, words".

And Again: - " ....The result was that few bills and even fewer documents survived, in effect creating numismatic rarities."

So, - we just waiting for this "numismatic rarities", because it [seems to me] could change our knowledge about dark side of WW2 events.

So, - I am still waiting.

Thank you.

Luca

Post by Luca » 26 Jul 2002, 11:57

Dear Members,
im desolated but i ve several KL and Ghetto banknotes but nothing concern Auschwitz or pics.
So i ve start a little search with the precious help of an good TR philatelic forum.
I add the gently reply :
Dear Jim and Luca,

Sorry for the delay but the pictures I have in ALL of my resource books were less than desirable so I went to the internet to find a few. All I could come up with was one good picture of an Auschwitz 1 RM note. Since I do not own any (they are rare and expensive), I had to do the next best thing and search the net.

According to my resource books there were three different styles of notes used at Auschwitz. Since this was an extermination camp, very few of the notes were used by prisoners, especially the Jews. In addition to the three types of notes, there were special chits used at Konzentrationslager Auschwitz-Buna and cigarette ration cards. The picture of this 1 RM note is categorized by Campbell as a type 3 note. In the Pick and Semens book he lists 2 earlier types of notes as well. I tried to scan a picture of the type 1 note but the scan only came out So-So. I have included both scans for your review.

Most of these notes were used by the SS guards with a select few going to privileged prisoners. In this type (3), there is a .50 RM (green or yellow cardboard) or a 1 RM (red or blue). I see them periodically but normally in only very good condition.

I have NEVER seen the other two types listed by Pick so they must be very rare.

All three types of notes were Pramienschien or Premium notes. All that I have seen were officially stamped with the Nazi Waffenampt stamp and many signed either on the obverse or reverse. As stated earlier all were printed on a cardboard like material.

I hope this helps the group and especially Luca. Please feel free to contact me regarding any questions pertaining to this information or other notes in question.

Best regards,

Phil
Attachments
auschwitz 1 rm note.jpg
auschwitz 1 rm note.jpg (12.74 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
auschwitz early note.jpg
auschwitz early note.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

Luca

Post by Luca » 26 Jul 2002, 12:02

another reply....

Here's a few from Jewish Ghettos and Concentration Camps Money by Zvi
Stahl.
Jim
Attachments
kz3.jpg
kz3.jpg (21.1 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
kz2.jpg
kz2.jpg (38.98 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
kz1.jpg
kz1.jpg (42.6 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

Luca

Post by Luca » 26 Jul 2002, 12:08

...last pic of the second email:

Best Regards
Luca

PS = Jim is the same man that waiting for some informations concern my question titled "Israel / Sara mail in this Holocaust section.
In concrete, when started exatly the "Jude lows" in the occupied country?
Any partial help will appreciated.
Thank You
Attachments
kz4.jpg
kz4.jpg (20.66 KiB) Viewed 1283 times

David E M

Post by David E M » 26 Jul 2002, 13:54

Brilliant! I think a lot of us were waiting for an answer to this one!.

But the question arises, how were they earned, what where they spent on and where?

great post, thanks.

cheers

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”