Auschwitz Currency???

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Aleksei2

Post by Aleksei2 » 29 Jul 2002, 12:25

[quote="Aleksei2"][quote="Luca"]Dear Aleksei2,

Please, inform me if You ve undersend my poor english.
Im waiting for Your next questions.

Hello, Luca

Please, inform me if You ve undersend my poor english.

Please, forget this! Your English is quite transparent to me (at ALL).

Luca

Post by Luca » 29 Jul 2002, 13:25

Dear Aleksei2,
cause Your gently request i send to You some pics.
They re 200dpi in Jpeg. All MY pics was and will in Jpeg,full color mode.
Tiff was a pic of Flossemburg note that i vent show here cause when i was recived the pic form my friend i can open,but appare nothing, so i ve add a pic from my home notes.
Now i show 1 Buchenwald note and the side back of the Flossemburg note.
Maybe i vent undersend well Your asks.
If You want the same pic that i show last time but with different size,sorry a lot, inform me and i will send to Your privat email but remember that all Auschwitz pics arrive from books or net so they ren't available.
You write = ...(and my be you have too ...) ...please,can You explane better cause i vent understend what You mean.
Thank You
Luca

NB = Sorry but i no ve Photoshop
Attachments
buchenwald note b.jpg
buchenwald note b.jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 872 times
buchenwald note f.jpg
buchenwald note f.jpg (65.7 KiB) Viewed 872 times
flossemburg note b.jpg
flossemburg note b.jpg (25.37 KiB) Viewed 871 times

Luca

Post by Luca » 29 Jul 2002, 13:31

PS = concern the handwrite in back side im no supersecure but (for my poor opinion) no appare modern pen.
If i remeber well i ve another piece from Buchenwald in my home whit some handwrite with pencil..lapis..or so, but im no sure.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 29 Jul 2002, 13:45

Quote of Luca:
Ok, but i want a kiss! :P :lol:
Italians! :roll: :lol: :wink:
I can show for You without problem but..what You want look and why? For example, a simple pic of the stamp or a very big enlargement for can look if Yours pieces re good or not?... used or not?
I don't have any Ghetto stamps, or coins. I was hoping you could put photos of some of your postal items in here, because I would like to see what they look like.

In another thread, I responded to someone else's post and pictures of coins from the Lodz/ Litzmannstadt Ghetto. The pieces aren't mine, and the photo is blurry. I was wondering if you had any clear photos of ghetto coinage to show us. Again, so we can all see what it looks like. I have no ghetto coins of my own. I recall seeing some in books ages ago, and a few poor quality photos on various internet sites. If you can do it, I was hoping you could post some photos, just to have a look.
In concrete i vent idea concern the system for help You,please,inform me and,if i can,i will show for You.
If that is all right with you, I would just like to see some of the postal and coin items. If you put the stamps in the "Documents" section of the forum, I will look for them there, and the coins here, if it is okay.

Thanks

David E M

Post by David E M » 29 Jul 2002, 15:14

sorry to interupt :) but yes coins i would like to see too , would they really mint coins for the ghetto? or overstamp existing ones?
cheers.

Luca

Post by Luca » 29 Jul 2002, 15:25

Sweet Sylvie,
here some sites concern Litzmannstadt coins:

http://www.chgs.umn.edu/Histories__Narr ... s_iii.html

http://personal.riverusers.com/~thegrendel/hcoin.html
.....After the war, the Polish government allegedly used the original dies to counterfeit quantities of these coins to sell as 'souvenirs'. ....

Below is the list of Concentration Camp tokens used at Litzmannstadt Ghetto 1942-43:

-10 pfenning - produced with only the 1942 date and was struck only in magnesium on either 21 mm or 18 mm flans.
-5 Marks (22 mm) - 1943 - struck on both magnesium and aluminum flans
-10 marks (28 mm) - 1943- struck on both magnesium and aluminum flans.
-20 marks (33 mm) - 1943 - struck on aluminum flans only

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 29 Jul 2002, 16:18

Thank you, Luca! :D The coins reproduced by the Poles post-war using original dies must have a big impact on the market for these coins. (In a negative sense).

Luca

Post by Luca » 29 Jul 2002, 21:38

Sweet Sylvie,
no idea concern the "market" problems.
I remember a card from post war Protektorat in B.u.M. that rapresented a no fat man(similar prisoner) that say some phrase concern the trouble problems of he village that no exist in the time in question, named Lidice.
No fat man want help.
Was passed in mail post around 1946 (if i remeber well).
I sell this card some years ago cause was postwar card ,cause the good price and cause i was stupid similar now.
So..
i can (or i want?) SUPPOSE that the problems and the jugde situations re related with the facts connect with the real time in question.
So.. cause my young years i ven't idea concern what im saying.
With friendly
Luca

NB = "young" is a trap
PS = i m waiting for Your vvvveeeerrrrryyyyyy precious kiss.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 31 Jul 2002, 02:17

Mr. Luca, I think we have all done things like that: sold or given away items only to regret it later. Somewhere I have a few post-war commemorative stamps, something like the Lidice stamp you mentioned, but not the same one. Some from Israel, too - postal memorials to victims and resistance figures. Those are interesting, but the one you have - the ghetto issue - has, in my opinion, greater historical value.

P.S Here is your kiss
Attachments
kisses.gif
kisses.gif (4.09 KiB) Viewed 954 times

Aleksei2

Post by Aleksei2 » 01 Aug 2002, 18:10

Hello, Luca

Sorry for prolong pause.

Thank you for additional adata related to german's KZ-money enigma.

May I ask you some new Qs ?

1/ - If you have real KZ banknotes - what can you say about their quality ? I mean paper quality and quality of printing (wartermarking - if exists). Do you know bamknote 's paper density (gr/m2) ?

2/ - Who was responsible (person, bank, local administration ) for KZ bahknotes printing. Who supervized money usage in KZ? Did official rules existed ? Who was responsible for total sum of money been printed for definite KZ (SS, Reichbank, Administration of Farben AG (for ex.) ... etc)

2b/ - Do you know any infor about foods price rating at KZ kanteens, KZ -bordello , etc . ?

3/ - Do you have so called RM for occupied territories ,? How it differes from "classical" RM ?

4/ - Do you know (may be have too) any infor about special kind of KZ-notes printed for West POW contingent ?

TRhank you.

Next Qs - will follow bit later.

Aleksei2

Add-on

Post by Aleksei2 » 02 Aug 2002, 17:25

Aleksei2 wrote:Hello, Luca

Sorry for prolong pause.

1/ - If you have real KZ banknotes - what can you say about their quality ? I mean paper quality and quality of printing (wartermarking - if exists). Do you know bamknote 's paper density (gr/m2) ?

2/ - Who was responsible (person, bank, local administration ) for KZ bahknotes printing. Who supervized money usage in KZ? Did official rules existed ? Who was responsible for total sum of money been printed for definite KZ (SS, Reichbank, Administration of Farben AG (for ex.) ... etc)

2b/ - Do you know any infor about foods price rating at KZ kanteens, KZ -bordello , etc . ?

3/ - Do you have so called RM for occupied territories ,? How it differes from "classical" RM ?

4/ - Do you know (may be have too) any infor about special kind of KZ-notes printed for West POW contingent ?

Thank you.

Attachments
kz-money.jpg
kz-money.jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 900 times

Aleksei2

Re: Add-on2

Post by Aleksei2 » 02 Aug 2002, 17:43

Thank you.

KZ-shop
Attachments
kz-powshop.jpg
kz-powshop.jpg (22.89 KiB) Viewed 899 times

Luca

Post by Luca » 05 Aug 2002, 09:51

sylvieK4 wrote: P.S Here is your kiss
WWWWWOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW :D

Luca

Post by Luca » 05 Aug 2002, 10:08

Dear Aleksey2,
sorry for the no quick reply.
I ve recived some emails concern Your questions during this week...

(1) Quality of KZ notes are simple design on average paper or card stock not anywhere as good as bank notes. I don't think any had watermarks. The density depending on the KZ was from around 80 GSM to fairly heavy card stock.
(2) The local camp administered the notes. In some camps prisoners were required to exchange money they had for camp money on arrival. In other camps it is common to for survivors who did not even know camp money existed. Camp money was give generally a bonus given to prisoners who pleased their SS masters. They were used to buy "luxury items" like extra food and cigarettes in the camp canteen. I believe they could also used in the camp prisoners brothel in lieu of passes.
I have not seen any regulations regarding use of camp money I have no doubt they existed. The SS and not the Reichsbank were responsible for everything to do with camp money. There was a private owned company, Metal Werke Holleishen, that issued its own money to the KZ workers. I have a complete set of these "tokens" which are perforated like stamps on heavy card stock.

(2b) Good question I have no idea how much items cost in the different KZ canteens or bordello.

(3) Bank notes for the General Government and other occupied countries are a much higher quality then KZ notes. They were not administered by the SS although the Ghetto notes were administered by the SS and are also of high quality.

(4) POW camp notes were not administered by the SS and the ones I've seen have a red triangle on them.

Jim K.

I just read Oranienburg had watermarked notes. The Heinkel company at
Oranienburg also issued its KZ workers special money.
..(email from jimk3758)..

Greetings Jim and other fellow TRS collectors.

The person who inquired about watermarking of Oranienburg notes was correct.
The 5 and 10 Pfg. Oranienburg notes came both with and without watermarking.
In addition, Westerbork notes came both ways and Litzmannstadt notes of 10
and 20 Mark denominations came with and without watermarks while the
Litzmannstadt 50 mark notes ALL came with watermarks.

Phil Drooks

Hi Phil,
Thank you for the info. Until this discussion I didn't know about Oranienburg KZ
notes being watermarked. They seem to be the highest quality of all KZ notes. I
was aware about Westerbork and Litzmannstadt (Lodz) which like all Ghetto notes
are of higher quality then KZ notes.

Jim K.

Attached is a scan of the only Wehrmacht POW camp money I know about except
for the general with the red triangle (top of scan).
These notes, in 10 and 5 "n. (norwegische) Öre" (1 Öre also exist) are
issued for use within units with Field Post No. 32117 A-D, which means
"Kriegsgef. Bau und Arbeitsbattalion 30" with Polish prisoners in South
Norway between 1941 and 1945.
Erik L.

Best Regards
Luca
Attachments
schein.jpg
schein.jpg (207.3 KiB) Viewed 874 times

Luca

Post by Luca » 07 Aug 2003, 13:39

Aleksei2 wrote:Hello, Luca

Sorry for prolong pause.

TRhank you.

Probable the PC of Aleksei2 exploded cause after so insistents and detailed questions, no have the time for any reply in one year.
But maybe can be interesting for others Members this post cause 1 interesting question was without reply.
Today searching concern Mauthausen topics i ve found this information:
...."The first female prisoners in Mauthausen where four Yugoslavians arriving in April 1942.Later,women were transferred from KZ-Ravensbruck to Mauthausen where some of them had to serve in the brothel of the camp, voluntarily or forced. This brothel was only for German and Austrian prisoners and a few Funktionshaftlinge from other nations.The price for the service in the brothel was RM 2, of which the woman kept RM 0,50 and the SS the difference."....
Best Regards
Luca

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”