Any photo collectors here?

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Kurasier

Post by Kurasier » 27 Aug 2002, 19:22

Hi,
I once read that ebay pictures a marked with ipix and it is not allowed to publish these marked photos somewhere else.
I just wanted to say this, so that you can check this.
Cheers
Christoph

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 27 Aug 2002, 19:36

Well, I don't think that'll hold in the court, as they have not created a work of a certain value themselve, but only altered an original picture.

Thanks for telling, though!

Christian

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 28 Aug 2002, 03:11

Christian,

Please post your photos when you get them, I'm very interested in doing a comparison.

Is there anyway two of the same photos might have been processed back then???

cpittman

Post by cpittman » 28 Aug 2002, 03:32

I bought a small lot of letters belonging to a Heer soldat killed in Russia in 1942. The letters came with 6 identical original photos of his grave that had been in his wife's posession. Apparently it was just as possible then as now to have copies made from a negative.

Ville Kosonen

Post by Ville Kosonen » 28 Aug 2002, 04:39

I collect photos too. Or should I say that I buy whenever I find something at reasonable price at local fleamarkets. German subject are quite rare here in Finland, I got mostly Finnish stuff, couple of albums and few hundred separate pics.
Best find was this spring when I found several pictures of Finnish SS-volunteer, Untersturmführer Unto Boman(later Parvilahti). He served as a liason officer between the volunteer battalion and Finnish authorities. He was, in 1945, sent to Soviet Union as alledged war criminal, and returned from his "Siberian Tournee" in 1954.
He has written two books, one about Finnish volunteers in the Waffen-SS and the other about his experiencies in Soviet captivity. I have both of them signed, so you can imagine my smile when I found those pictures...

In addition I have several German PK-photos and some photos from WW1.

Here are samples:
Attachments
t-34 s.jpg
From Finnish album
t-34 s.jpg (88.32 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
blitz s.jpg
From Finnish album
blitz s.jpg (130.97 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
itärväri.jpg
German PK-photo
itärväri.jpg (89.84 KiB) Viewed 1873 times

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 28 Aug 2002, 05:57

Nice shots!

I just picked up this off e-bay!
Attachments
b17.jpg
b17.jpg (118.99 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 28 Aug 2002, 18:40

I'll post them ASAP. Didn't understand your second line, Benjamin :|

I guess there can be more than one, but the pictures I get have written paper slids on the back, which could indicate that they are the 'original picture' (as it would be typed by the photographer).

Christian

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 31 Aug 2002, 17:07

Recieved the photos today. I must say, that they are authentic to the best of my knowledge. The paper descriptions are yellowed the same way as on other of my photos, and the pictures are a bit yealowed themselve. I guess it is possible that the pictures have been sold again and again. But this time, they stay ;)

Christian

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 31 Aug 2002, 19:11

Recieved the photos today. I must say, that they are authentic to the best of my knowledge. The paper descriptions are yellowed the same way as on other of my photos, and the pictures are a bit yealowed themselve. I guess it is possible that the pictures have been sold again and again. But this time, they stay

Christian
Good, I hope you enjoy them! :wink:

Did you see the large Panzer photo lot on E-bay?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 65726&rd=1

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 31 Aug 2002, 23:03

Yes, saw that - but no Panzers :(

I hgave bought a Bergepanther and 2 Panther photos (from Russian archives, destroyed...). This means I have pictures of every German tank type, from I to VI, but I still need a good Tiger II picture. Also, my Tiger picture only shows a little bit of the Tigers turret, so if you have one of these - let me know! ;)

I now have 45 original photos - and I've probably spend over $1000-1500 on them - time to get an insurance... ;)

Christian

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 01 Sep 2002, 08:58

Wow, could share some of those beauties? :wink:

Also, I had a flood in my house not to long ago, and it claimed some KC postcards, and Soldbuchs :x Get Insurance! :wink:

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 01 Sep 2002, 13:37

Yes, I live in the basement, and although we don't have water the basement, I am planning to place the albums high. This is also one of the reasons why I scna and publishe the images - it would be a crime to have these pictures destroyed!

I'll publishe all pictures as soon as possible after I get them scanned!

Christian

Paddy Keating
Banned

Post by Paddy Keating » 07 Sep 2002, 05:25

I collect photographs too. From fashion to war reportage. I'm particularly into Fallschirmjäger images, especially related to SS-Fallschirmjäger Btl 500/600. Here's a studio portrait of Walter Hümmel who served with SS-FJ Btl 500 and 600. The two items are not to scale, by the way. The portrait is larger in real life than the jump licence but it's just laid out that way for file reference purposes.

Photos of SS-FJ wearing their jump badges are very, very rare. Note that, like other members of the battalion, Hümmel has retained the insignia of his old unit. In other photos I have, his cuff title is visible. The portrait was taken at Photo-Zentrale, Adolf Hitler Strasse, Neu-Strelitz and is marked thus on the reverse. SS-FJ Btl 600 formed up at Neu-Strelitz in October and November 1944 and the portrait was taken at that time, just after Hümmel arrived there. Hümmel was a veteran of the Russian front and then the brutal anti-partisan campaigns in Yugoslavia and he jumped at Drvar in the mission to kill or capture Tito.

That's his jump licence on the left. Note the photo with the SS-VT pattern 'No 1' collar patch. I'll post some more interesting photos in due course but I just wanted to say that the fact that the same photographic prints are for sale in different places at the same time isn't necessarily a cause for concern. Of course, photos are being faked but bear in mind that many photos depicting the German armed forces at work and play were taken by Propaganda Kompanie photographers, war correspondents and semi-official unit and sub-unit photographers. In some cases, dozens, even hundreds, or prints were made for distribution to the media, archives and sale to soldiers wanting souvenirs of their service.

Prosper Keating

Ville Kosonen

Post by Ville Kosonen » 07 Sep 2002, 06:23

WAU! is the only thing I can say...
Do you have additional history on Hummel?
Did he survive the war?

Paddy Keating
Banned

Post by Paddy Keating » 07 Sep 2002, 12:37

Oh yes, Walter Hümmel survived WW2. In fact, he is still alive. Quite a few former members of SS-FJ Btl 500/600 are still around but, of course, they are fewer in number each year. My interest in them was kindled in the 1980s when I met Siegfried Milius, a former commander of the battalion who was a guest at the party thrown by the Fallschirmjäger (Bundeswehr) to celebrate the award of our German parachute wings. We were their guests at the time.

PK

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”