Dunkirk

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Sheldrake

Re: Dunkirk

Postby Sheldrake » 28 Aug 2017 13:27

Dunkirk is an interesting film. Its a striking piece of cinema - a full hour using the techniques of Saving Private Ryan. All claimed to be based on historic images and using physical props and no CGI. In one sense its based on truth - but a rather distorted version of events.

The British Army in particular is given a weird treatment. It isn't shown as an army, but a mob of individuals. No regimental badges. The only Regiment mentioned is the Grenadier Guards - and then only to tell the protagonist that this was a private queue. No one in charge. Only two officers are portrayed. One: a subaltern is a coward and murderer whose actions are forgiven as "shell shock." The other a Colonel is a foil for Kenneth Branagh's observations about the evacuations - but takes no action himself. The only competent authority figure is a lance corporal in charge of the pier of trucks.

(In reality this was a job for the Engineers of 1st Division, supervised by the CRE who sat on a deck chair on the promenade manning one of a row of Bren gun taken from evacuated units and mounted in the rail for anyone who wanted to shoot at German aircraft. The REs also manned the boats that ferried troops from the shore to ships.

No one is shown making any hostile action against the enemy - other than ineffectual rifle fire at Stukas. there is a 40mm Bofors gun on the end of the pier, but it doesn't fire any more than the ships AA guns do.

The British Army portrayed by Christopher Nolan is a version of the British Army familiar to the British public. Its the Help for Heroes army. An army of victims. Britons in Uniform whose main activity is self preservation, their military virtues of discipline showed by queuing as if for Border Control.
Last edited by Sheldrake on 28 Aug 2017 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

avata

Postby avata » 14 Nov 2017 10:17

I would not watch this movie a second time. You can see in the film a beautiful shooting, but there is no plot

karlsh

Postby karlsh » 14 Nov 2017 19:26

After watching this movie by Christopher Nolan I was impressed with all the detail and work put into the movie. Like Avata said, not a movie I would watch the second time around. But it was great in the theaters on a big screen.

I also thought, since Christopher Nolan is British and made a big screen movie about British troops on Dunkirk, I would cast a vote and even shout out to James Cameron who is Canadian, and could tell a great story about Canadian troops in WWI, most notably, The Dieppe Raid.

Taken from Veterans Affairs Canada Website (http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembran ... ieppe-raid):

"The Dieppe Raid was launched on August 19, 1942, and would prove to be the bloodiest single day for Canada’s military in the entire Second World War. Of the almost 5,000 Canadian soldiers who took part in this ill-fated raid on occupied France, more than half became casualties. Sadly, a total of 916 Canadians would lose their lives.

This year marks the 75th anniversary of the Dieppe Raid. The service and sacrifice of Canadians who fought there will never be forgotten."

avata

Postby avata » 15 Nov 2017 10:08

I totally agree with you, karlsh. it was great in the theaters on a big screen!
BUT! If you look at the list of similar films, many movies are much better. And Dunkirk is a film show, no more.
https://bestsimilar.com/movies/38320-dunkirk
Christopher Nolan did what he used to do. He made a film with beautiful special effects

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”