My honor was loyalty movie

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Sauerteig

My honor was loyalty movie

Post by Sauerteig » 15 Mar 2017 16:56

Has anyone seen this? It looks very amateurish. The child singing Das Lied der Deutschen is a non native speaker. I am deciding to skip it but wonder if someone has seen it and if I should change my mind.

shamirnewell

Re: My honor was loyalty

Post by shamirnewell » 15 Mar 2017 23:15

Sauerteig wrote:Has anyone seen this? It looks very amateurish. The child singing "Das Lied der Deutschen" is a non native speaker. I am deciding to skip it but wonder if someone has seen it and if I should change my mind.
It popped up on Netflix so I tried to watch. I was unable to finish it. Not recommended at all.

Sauerteig

Post by Sauerteig » 16 Mar 2017 07:05

What was so bad about it?

shamirnewell

Post by shamirnewell » 16 Mar 2017 22:00

Sauerteig

Post by Sauerteig » 17 Mar 2017 17:19

That review focuses on production values and casting. It seems a shame if the narrative and plot has something to it. We certainly need a good movie from the German side, even a few more narratives...

shamirnewell

Post by shamirnewell » 19 Mar 2017 12:45

Sauerteig wrote:That review focuses on production values and casting. It seems a shame if the narrative and plot has something to it. We certainly need a good movie from the German side, even a few more narratives...
I found the narrative and plot to be worse than the production values and casting.

eisenbahn9

Re: My Honor Was Loyalty

Post by eisenbahn9 » 27 Mar 2017 07:03

I just saw this tonight on Netflix. It's worth viewing, but bear in mind this is Alessandro Pepe's first feature-length film, with all the shortcomings that often implies. His budget was necessarily very small since it's an independent production: no sponsors and no studio backing. And yes, he relied heavily on eleven different Italian, Czech and French WWII reenactment groups for the battle scenes, so some of the reenactors look less than authentic as far as their physical appearance (overly peacetime plump rather than wartime lean and mean). Also, the four main characters (Herckel, Steiner, Scholl and Kolbe) are all played by non-actors. They do a creditable job, but don't expect them to deliver the kind of riveting and convincing performances top-level professional actors are capable of.

The story itself follows the exploits of a soldier of the 1st SS Panzer Division (Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler or LSSAH), Untersharfuhrer Herckel, as his unit fights on various fronts, starting at the Battle of Kursk in 1943, then moving to Italy and France and finally retreating into Germany itself. Herckel's staunch patriotism and fervent loyalty begin to waver as the war drags on, senseless killings escalate and Germany's fortunes decline precipitously. By the end, he openly questions what he and his kameraden are fighting for, much to his superiors' consternation. The ending is decidedly and appropriately downbeat.

The main actors (mostly Italian) have their own voices dubbed into German, though this was no real distraction and actually added believability to their portrayals (how many times have we watched war movies where the "Germans" speak perfect English?). You also get to see some interesting German, Russian and American equipment in action (a replica Panther and Tiger tank, Sherman tanks, a Marder III, Hanomag halftracks, Schwimmwagen, nebelwerfer, etc.).

The overall tone of the film reminded me a lot of Terrence Malick's "The Thin Red Line". However the, in my view, negative traits of that film (a narrator to voice the character's inner thoughts, overly intrusive music and rambling "poetic" musings) don't serve this one well either. The story line lacks an overall sense of cohesiveness, both in the action sequences and the bonds between the four main characters. It's also too long at nearly two hours. Scenes become overly repetitive in nature and one wishes the editor had judiciously trimmed some of them out. Finally, there's a preachy, clumsily written and completely unnecessary narration at the beginning and end of the film delivered by what sounds like a 12-year-old girl. I suppose the director felt this would be a profound commentary on the nature of war but it comes across as sophomoric rhetoric instead.

Despite these reservations, I would not dissuade anyone from giving it a go. Just keep your expectations low.

Wolf

Post by Wolf » 22 Apr 2017 20:42

I agree with eisenbahn9 - you can watch it but one must remember the minimal budget. I found Herckel's take on the Jews interesting as I imagine it is a sensitive element to include in any movie focusing on the German forces, perhaps more so than the portrayal of POW killings. Not too much of the otherwise in war movies pretty common "small group behind enemy lines" set up...

Felix C

Re: My honor was loyalty movie

Post by Felix C » 21 Aug 2017 01:21

previously there was that storm of steel primarily reenactor based film

ecksdee23

Post by ecksdee23 » 20 May 2018 20:10

I personally think, that although the acting and or the voices might have been horrible, I liked the movie. It certainly gave off a "All Quiet On The Western Front" vibe, where main character dies at the end. I mostly just enjoyed the movie, mainly because its rare to get a view of the German side, especially with movies such as "Fury" and all the other American/British/Allied sided movies. Anywho, thats just my opinion. Cheers! :milsmile:

Henderson

Post by Henderson » 13 Jun 2018 20:41

I agree with eisenbahn9 - budget is low, but value is high.
Maybe next time we will play there together. But first I'd like to learn more facts about those games. What do you think about that place?

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”