Worst War Movies?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
ZerehKoob

Re: Worst War Movies?

Post by ZerehKoob » 14 Nov 2020, 10:57

All of Iranian War Movies, specially about Iran / Iraq War!

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 15 Jan 2021, 13:50

Yesterday night on the german TV channel "Tele 5" once again the US production "Die Brücke von Remagen". (1969)

Die Brücke von Remagen https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Brücke_von_Remagen
The Bridge at Remagen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_at_Remagen

I have watched this movie for the last time probably 30 years ago in the 1990s, long ago, and I never bought
a copy on VHS or DVD in later years.
Watching this "war drama" yesterday again, Oha! :roll:
112 more than boring minutes, for me personally a true waste of time, not recommend at all!
0,5* from 6* possible stars.

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Linkagain

Post by Linkagain » 08 May 2021, 22:46

Can anyone name any recent wars Iraq Afghanstan movies...that are defiantly not just fictional but for the home front?
{One film that come to Mind is supposdely Korean War {Read Vietnam WAr] antiwar movie MASH and that home front fantasy comedy series...of the same name}

Only twice did I ever see films that were true to life....
World War II documentary a tank battle in Cologne germany between Shermans and a German tank...one shows the commander of a US talk falling outside the copt of his tank {His leng had been shot off by a shell and he did not survive] while the German tank is hit by several rounds that place it Hors de combat...I think they were interviewing a surving tank crewman...

On TV Series Vietnam they had a story of the US Embassy under seige during the Tet Offensive-what was intetersting is that the film would show US Army/USMC under fire and then have interviews with the ACTUAL PERONS IN THE SAID FILMS....

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 09 May 2021, 19:09

Linkagain wrote:
08 May 2021, 22:46
Can anyone name any recent wars Iraq Afghanstan movies...that are defiantly not just fictional but for the home front?
{One film that come to Mind is supposdely Korean War {Read Vietnam WAr] antiwar movie MASH and that home front fantasy comedy series...of the same name}

Only twice did I ever see films that were true to life....
World War II documentary a tank battle in Cologne germany between Shermans and a German tank...one shows the commander of a US talk falling outside the copt of his tank {His leng had been shot off by a shell and he did not survive] while the German tank is hit by several rounds that place it Hors de combat...I think they were interviewing a surving tank crewman...

On TV Series Vietnam they had a story of the US Embassy under seige during the Tet Offensive-what was intetersting is that the film would show US Army/USMC under fire and then have interviews with the ACTUAL PERONS IN THE SAID FILMS....
M*A*S*H the movie and the TV show is nonsense entertainment as for that docu. you mention, it is on YouTube with caveats ( in other words dont believe it 100%, as for modern made flixcks, movies are fantasy so you have to wqatch them for that entertainment

Ivan1987

Post by Ivan1987 » 12 May 2021, 20:54

Linkagain wrote:
08 May 2021, 22:46
Have you seen the movie Outpost? It's based on a book by the CNN anchor Jake Tapper and from what I read, it should be very realistic. And the Generation Kill series about the first days of the 2003 invasion was also pretty good. Also, there is a good Netflix movie about Iraq war - Sand Castle.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 12 May 2021, 21:39

Among the worst movies ever made and most everyone will agrree are.. The Battle of The Bulge..Pearl Harbor...Flyboys.....Horse... and most all other modern made (post 2000) coming out of Hollywood.

rcocean

Post by rcocean » 12 May 2021, 23:32

I won't say "Worst" because its actually quite entertaining. But "Battle of the Bulge" (1965) has to be one of the most unrealistic war movies ever made. Near the end the filmmakers give up any pretense we're actually in Belgium Dec 1944, and give Summer in Spain, complete with dust clouds :lol: And the Germans have a "Secret weapon" the King Tiger tank, why American Shells just bounce right off! But there's an all-star cast (Tele Savalas does his standard vulgar but lovable act) and there are some good action scenes at the start.

It was the start of WW 2 cartoon action movies in the 60s, when any pretense of being accurate was being done away with. Next stop: Where Eagles Dare!

sailorsam

Post by sailorsam » 13 May 2021, 03:50

Hollywood circa 1970 was a very anti-military counterculture place. they produced three movies at that time that stick together to me.
M*A*S*H is more a surreal comedy than a war movie.
Kelly's Heroes has been mentioned. not horrible but not much of a 'war' movie. I like to watch when I'm asleep now and them. (remember Donald Sutherland as a proto-hippie?)
I really hated Catch 22, the book and the movie. treats war as a farce.

anyone remember Escape to Athena? did not like. live-action cartoon. Third Reich taken down by Sonny Bono and Stephanie Powers.

there was an obscure movie with Ken Berry as a war correspondent trapped behind enemy lines in Korea. He leads the soldiers to safety. really stupid and cartoonish. pretty forgotten, justifiably.
edit; The Reluctant Heroes.
Saint Peter, let these men enter Heaven; they served their time in hell.

Ivan1987

Post by Ivan1987 » 13 May 2021, 22:57

The last time I have seen Battle of the Bulge was in 2007. As time has passed, I used to love almost every movie that has 60s to 90s stamp on it. Meaning, if I watched BoB now, I'm afraid I'd totally enjoy it. Despite the fact that it's a historical mess.

Linkagain

Post by Linkagain » 17 May 2021, 03:50

Sometimes War movies are the exception--rather than the rulw--case in point-years ago i saw a movie on Young english boy and his family having to cope with Battle over Britian..in one scene a german pilot parachutes down...he is mobbed by women...but to get his silk parachute...Interesting there is one line that is so english..a policeman taken the german into custody and says ..You are Under arrest..." I.In contrast there was another move of the same thing-only taking place in Asia English Civilians family intereed by the Japanese i think an extra in one scene was the authoor on whom it was based...one of these moves was named "Hope and Glory" but I cant remember which one was which :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Linkagain on 17 May 2021, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.

Linkagain

Post by Linkagain » 17 May 2021, 04:01

speaking on bad Movies there was a black/white Korean war movie about a patrol of US Army who have to fight there way back to friendly lines..in comic relief moment..Comedian Bob Newhart stars as a supply clerk who is delivering a case of typretitters when he gets lost...and drives into the squad....

and then of course thats that moronic Counterculture Kelly Heros.....of course one tank and one squard beat three german panzers!!!!
and then of course the left wing Counterculture Catch-22 ....Book and move....{World war II was hardly a laughing matter concerning those who had to fight for their lives against the Axis powers]
and then there was another one of Burt Lancaster and a squad of US soldiers who all get killed trying to hold off an entire german army from a chateau.....the chateau owner betrays the american trying to save his precious art collection...but he gets kille too....

manfredzhang

Post by manfredzhang » 20 May 2021, 04:24

durb wrote:
08 Sep 2015, 17:11
Has anyone seen this Japanese movie: "Eternal Zero" (Eien o no 0)?

Wiki and other web sources consider it controversial and according to wiki such authority as Hayako Miyazaki has rated it: a fictional war account that is a pack of lies - exactly the stuff of which the worst war movies are made of. Is it really that bad?

Any better movie suggestions about the Japanese combat pilots in WW2?
Worst movie? It's the best war movie. Every time I watch it, tears in my eyes. I usually watch it a coupe of times a week.

I doubt anyone who does not have an East Asian background will truly enjoy this movie.

Helmut0815

Post by Helmut0815 » 24 May 2021, 23:54

sailorsam wrote:
13 May 2021, 03:50
Hollywood circa 1970 was a very anti-military counterculture place.
On the other hand Hollywood of 1970 gave us movies like "Tora Tora! Tora!" or "Patton."

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 May 2021, 14:16

Helmut is absolutely right, both movies excellent, the performance of George C. Scott as Patton outstanding!

Quote from the german wikipedia:
Die schauspielerische Leistung von George C. Scott war so gut, daß sein Gesicht das von General Patton in der Öffentlichkeit ersetzte.
The scene, Patton talking with Bradley in the ruins of the former roman empire in north africa, goose bumps stuff... :roll:

"I was there..."

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

rcocean

Post by rcocean » 27 May 2021, 21:57

Patton is the best example of an actor making a movie good. Imagine if John Wayne or Kirk Douglas had played the role :lol: (both were offered the part). George C. Scott was the 5th choice. The only thing bad about the film is the ridiculous portrayal of Bradley: who's one part Saint, one part genius, one part normal Joe. The 70's also gave us a Bridge Too Far which had some great british actors and a very bad script and the worst American Actors. Imagine Elliot Gould as GI!

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”