The Odd Angry Shot

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Fatboy Coxy

The Odd Angry Shot

Post by Fatboy Coxy » 28 Jan 2024 12:15

Hi all, I watched The Old Angry Shot yesterday, an Australian film (1979) about an Australian SAS team in Vietnam, quite an enjoyable film. I was struck by how well the team 'operated' in the bush/jungle environment, using hand signals, and their movement through that terrain. Is there anyone with the military experience able to comment on this please.
Regards
Fatboy Coxy

Currently writing https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/ ... if.521982/

Pips

Re: The Odd Angry Shot

Post by Pips » 29 Jan 2024 02:24

It is based on the book of the same name, written by William Nagle. Nagle served with the SAS in Vietnam in 1966-67, and wrote the book based on his experiences. It's a good read.

The movie holds quite true to the book. A classic film, and typically understated Australian.

As background, all the actors had to attend the Australian Army's Jungle training school in Canungra, Queensland for 4 weeks prior to commencing the film shoot. Just so their actions woudl be realistic for the film.

Fatboy Coxy

Post by Fatboy Coxy » 30 Jan 2024 06:39

Hi Pips, thanks, and I thought that. There's a particular scene where the patrol are all lying in the grass, and when the order is given to move out, they gradually get up and move, there's no crowd of soldiers standing up at the same time, which is a little detail that I liked, as an example of the work done on making it all realistic.
Regards
Fatboy Coxy

Currently writing https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/ ... if.521982/

Manisoa

Post by Manisoa » 03 Apr 2024 03:46

the patrol is lying in the grass; when told to move out, they rise slowly; there is no mass of soldiers getting up at once.
run 3

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”