Anyone played "Another War" ?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
kobold

Anyone played "Another War" ?

Post by kobold » 28 Oct 2002, 23:55

just found this game online (whistles innocently).

http://aw.gry-online.pl/aw_grafiki_en.asp

it looks to be in the style of the "commandos" games.

i think theres a demo of it available, and a dodgy copy of it is on the newsgroups now .

(if a games good-buy it).

dave

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 29 Oct 2002, 00:10

Try looking at the explanations for the hand grenades in the weapons ection 8O

Christian

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 29 Oct 2002, 00:13

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Try looking at the explanations for the hand grenades in the weapons ection 8O

Christian
Most games do this because otherwise the lone infantry man would be toast. The biggest flaw of the game WWIIONLINE was the fact that Infantry sucked, it was a tank spawn fest. Why be a riflemen who is at the mercy of all armored tanks when you can be a tank.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 29 Oct 2002, 00:16

Still - the Steilgranate and be thrown shorter than the Eiergranate, but has more explosive power... ;)

But youre right, there have to be some liberties...

Christian

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 29 Oct 2002, 00:19

Yeah the range thing was kinda interesting, I mean it should be common sense that the shape of the German masher that you could get a good throw with it. AP Grenade!!

Watch out Tigers.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 29 Oct 2002, 00:26

Yes, exactly.

Although they've probably tried to make up for the cluster grenades...

Christian

garconbifteck

AW

Post by garconbifteck » 03 Nov 2002, 00:08

funnily enough, I stumbled across this forum a few hours ago when I started writing a review of Another War, I was searching for "life in occupied France" to comment on the historical accuracy of the game.

I'm planning to give the game 2.5/5 or 3/5, here's an excerpt of what that means:

[h3]2[/h3]
Here we go, this is where things start to take off into real territory, this kind of game will generally be poor to most, but may appeal to some niche groups. It’s not a great game and it’s probably not going to entertain you for long, but it’ll give you a bit of fun -- perhaps borrow it or mess about for a few hours.

[h3]3[/h3]
This is where the average games land, a lot of hyped games that didn’t turn live up, and a few titles that looked awful but actually turned out quite well will end up here. This is generally the buying mark, if you like the look of it, then 3’s a score that says it’s worth your money.

If you're a gamer, it's quite possibly not going to interest you, but if you're interested in World War 2 more so than you're a gamer, then it WILL interest you.

Another War has a beatiful maps, the buildings, signposts, bridges, floor textures etc. are really good. But this is let down by some often dodgy looking models.

There's also a hideous problem with sound. Playing it on two different systems with Creative Labs Live soundcards it happened on both. Considering these cards are pretty common; that's bad. Sometimes there'll just be a huge crackling noise inplace of the music and I'll have to turn music off. But all the time, when someone new speaks (Speech changes to another character) there'll be a crackle noise which REALLY starts to hurt your ears when two characters are chatting!

EDIT: quests are fairly average and fighting can get boring if you have to do a lot of it constantly.

Overall, Another War could be so much better. If you're looking for an RPG, try Divine Divinity or if you're on a gaming machine like I, Morrowind. If you're looking for a World War 2 game, first look towards Battlefield 1942 and if that doesn't look like your thing, or your computer can't take it, then go for Another War.

Oh, and say hello to Mum & Dad, my website's quoted on the back of Another War's English box : )

Here's a link to my preview, I'll post one to my fuller and longer review tomorrow when it's done: http://www.pc-gaming.com/read.asp?id=61&type=rp

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”