"None But The Brave"

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
HPL2008

"None But The Brave"

Post by HPL2008 » 01 Nov 2002, 16:38

I just watched a very good war movie on German TV; had never heard of it before. It's an American/Japanase co-production from 1964 called "None But The Brave" (It's German title is "Der Lohn der Mutigen")
The film was directed by Frank Sinatra, who also co-stars in it. It's about two opposing groups of soldiers - U.S. Navy/U.S. Marines on one side and a Japanese unit on the other - who get stuck on a small, insignificant Pacific island. It's a bit like "Hell In The Pacific" only on a larger scale. The story in a nutshell: They fight each other, they agree on a ceasefire, they become something like allies, even friends of sorts, and in the end they fight each other again.
I was very impressed by the film, particularly with it's portrayal of the Japanese soldiers. Their commander in particular was a very interesting character, intelligent, cultured and very honorable. He also serves as the story's narrator. (We find out later that the narration comes from a diary/manuscript he has written.) The movie's end is very good and rather sad.
If you haven't seen it yet, I can fully recommend it.
Those who have seen it: What do you all think about it?

Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Post by Ken Jasper » 02 Nov 2002, 00:26

Well, although made as an anti-war film,. its action sequences are more memorable than its anti-war sentiment. The acting by Tommy Sands (then Sinatra's son-in-law) is simply horrible.

kobold

Post by kobold » 02 Nov 2002, 02:03

an enjoyable film.
I havent seen it for some years.

There were some decent movies made around the same time.

One of my all time favourites is "the pink submarine". :D

dave.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”