New WW2 strategy game!

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Zachary

Post by Zachary » 05 Nov 2002, 01:35

True....but still I think graphics would help improve a game's interface.

Churchie. I like that.
Zachary

Timo

Re: New WW2 strategy game!

Post by Timo » 05 Nov 2002, 01:41

Der Alte wrote:[Dear Timo, I take it that by your closure of the 'blondes extinct' thread you have acknowledged that I prevailed in the discussion.]
Well, if somebody turning his back on you in disgust acknowledged to you that you "prevailed in the discussion", so be it.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 05 Nov 2002, 03:50

I don't much care for graphics myself in a strategy game, nor for cool page-art. I want a good game-engine and I absolutely don't want any bugs in the operation. I won't buy games that are rushed out for Christmas. One problem with strategy games, however, is that there tends to be a lot of micromanaging of economic things, so if they have macros available to set-up things the way you want to do this for you automatically then that would be great. Other than that, it is essential to be able to play against a human if you want, to be able to play both sides, and to have a scenario or campaign editor. I want a historical strategy game to really be a What-If. I want to try to change the course of history and see how the various factors play out. Usually things are made historically compartmentalized, so you might win Stalingrad, for example, and then still have to fight Kursk and Ardennes the same way later.
:)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 05 Nov 2002, 09:29

Der Alte,

Drop that attitude and as several from my staff has pointed out, keep your racist (or what ever you want to call them) remarks out of my forum.

/Marcus

Ovidius

Post by Ovidius » 05 Nov 2002, 09:31

Scott Smith wrote:I don't much care for graphics myself in a strategy game, nor for cool page-art.
Good graphics are vital to prevent headaches after a few hours of continuous playing - reason for which I usually avoid to play the Close Combat series :mrgreen:

~Ovidius

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 05 Nov 2002, 11:36

agreed Scott

I don't give a hoot about graphics, as long as they are not outright annoying - to me, the perfect strategy game is championship manager, played without background changes and with the sound off. :) Actually, I'm rather hoping the troops are NOT animated, would look a bit silly wouldn't it? I'd really prefer symbols over these toy-like figures.

This one looks like the game I've been waiting for - almost incredible that it took so long before someone came up with a big strategy game. I played and liked EU, which gives some reason for optimism. Although I was perhaps not really overly impressed with the military aspects of that game. That'd have to be better for this one to work.

cheers

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 05 Nov 2002, 19:15

Ovidius wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:I don't much care for graphics myself in a strategy game, nor for cool page-art.
Good graphics are vital to prevent headaches after a few hours of continuous playing - reason for which I usually avoid to play the Close Combat series :mrgreen:

~Ovidius

Yeah I get bored with the CC games really fast, if you played one map then you pretty much played them all.

If you have not tried out the Total War Medieval then you are missing out a rare gem. The tactical combat is amazing, couple of thousand troops fighting on a well made map with pretty good graphics.

Kephra

Post by Kephra » 05 Nov 2002, 19:44

Yeah I get bored with the CC games really fast, if you played one map then you pretty much played them all
That's one of the reasons I like Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. No battle is like the other, even on the same map.

Kaisertreue
Banned

Post by Kaisertreue » 05 Nov 2002, 23:18

Marcus Wendel wrote:Der Alte,

Drop that attitude and as several from my staff has pointed out, keep your racist (or what ever you want to call them) remarks out of my forum.

/Marcus
Apologies, Marcus. I wasn't aware of the particular sensitivities of some persons like Timo. Having said that, I genuinely didn't intend any offence; I was merely stating my views.

Best regards.

Toivo

Post by Toivo » 08 Nov 2002, 15:32

It's again something new on front of wargames. I haven't played a single strategygame where you can play minor nations. Very nice isalso fact that my old PC can take it too :o Hope it really comes out 19/11 (less than 2 weeks)!

Kaisertreue
Banned

Post by Kaisertreue » 10 Nov 2002, 23:59

There is one thing that bothers me about 'Hearts of Iron': it is a 'real time simulation'. I don't tend to like these, because they can cause confusion in game play; I am much more of a turn based games fan.

In my humble opinion, the best grand strategy WW2 computer wargame ever invented was 'Clash of Steel', which came out around ten years ago. It was a very good game indeed (now unplayable because it's DOS based and modern PCs are much too fast for it). Infact, it was only let down by the dodgy AI. I wish they would come out with new version of it!!!! Damn!!! :x :x :x

Westwall

Post by Westwall » 13 Nov 2002, 21:03

thanks so mucho for the link guys, this game looks promising indeed!
(already pre-ordered it) :D

Zachary

Post by Zachary » 15 Nov 2002, 15:19

Hearts or Iron goes from 1936 to 1948 and you can play as ANY NATION (except the Vatican and Monaco)within the spheres of influence, democracy, communism, and fasism. (I know I spelled it wrong).

There's a huge tech tree and you can play from 1939 if you want, nut I hear it parrallels the real world too much. A cool challenge would be playing some small, obscure country like Paraguay and emerge the greatest of the victors.
Regards,
Zachary

R.W. Black

Post by R.W. Black » 20 Nov 2002, 04:33

The damn publisher is holding release date in North America until the 26th...theyve pushed it back twice already. Anxiously waiting for release....Himmler is leader of Police in Germany...you can twist alliances in your favour as well...e.g: Britain/Germany, Canada/Germany.....etc.

Panzer22

Post by Panzer22 » 20 Nov 2002, 22:39

Thanks for the update, R.W. I went to both CompUsa and Best Buy last night looking for it, but no luck and no info on when it might be available. :cry:

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”