The official AHF (WW2 and pre-WW2) movie trivia quiz thread

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Brian Ross

Post by Brian Ross » 20 Feb 2007 13:49

Yes. Over to you, Ned.

edward_n_kelly

Post by edward_n_kelly » 21 Feb 2007 03:36

This not a film - but a film maker (and photographer).

I started my war very late - having been "detained" and out of contact with "civilization" for the first two years of the a war.

I first made my name name in film in documentaries (and never left....) Some of my work has been ascribed to my more famous friend and rival.

I was unique - the only film maker to be awarded MC* though I never carrier a firearm ......

Edward

Brian Ross

Post by Brian Ross » 22 Feb 2007 07:59

Frank Hurley?

edward_n_kelly

Post by edward_n_kelly » 22 Feb 2007 08:21

Frank Hurley received the OBE (...for sevices to photography.... Not in the Military List)

Next clues.

I did not fall out with CEW Bean (unlike Hurley) - indeed he admired me. Hurley has sometimes been credited with my work.

I was knighted for my exploration.

Edward

Brian Ross

Post by Brian Ross » 24 Feb 2007 09:41

(Sir) Hubert Wilkins?

edward_n_kelly

Post by edward_n_kelly » 26 Feb 2007 00:30

Yes! Hooray! A Winner!!!

Captain George Hubert Wilkins, MC & Bar

Date of birth: 31 October 1888
Place of birth: Mount Bryan East, SA
Date of death: 30 November 1958
Place of death: Framingham, Massachusetts, USA
P03171.002
George Hubert Wilkins
P03171.002

George Wilkins, explorer, war photographer and cinematographer, was born on 31 October 1888 at Mount Bryan East in South Australia. He studied electrical engineering at the South Australian School of Mines, mechanical engineering at the University of Adelaide and music at the University of Adelaide's Elder Conservatorium. At the same time he developed a keen interest in photography and cinematography.

In 1908 he moved to England to work for the Gaumont Film Company as a 'cinematographic cameraman'. Soon afterwards he began work as a reporter for the London Daily Chronicle, travelling to report on events overseas. He learned to fly and take aerial photographs and, in 1912, he left England to report on the Balkan War, becoming the first person to take motion pictures in the front line of a war zone. In 1913 he accepted a place on a Canadian Arctic expedition and was still there in 1916 when he first heard that the world was at war.

On returning to Australia he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Australian Flying Corps but was prevented from operational flying because of colour blindness. In July 1917 he was appointed as an official photographer with the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) and reached the Western Front in time to photograph the Australians during the Passchendaele campaign. By mid 1918, now a captain, he was given command of No. 3 (Photographic) Sub-Section of the Australian War Records unit. More adventurer than photographer, Wilkins was sometimes a participant in, as well as an observer of, war. In June 1918 he was awarded the Military Cross for helping wounded under fire and, in September, earned a bar to the award for leading a group of inexperienced American soldiers through a dangerous action. He is the only Australian official photographer to have been decorated.

In January 1919 Wilkins travelled to the Gallipoli Peninsula as a photographer with the Australian Historical Mission under the official historian, Charles Bean. His appointment with the AIF ended on 7 September 1920.

In later life Wilkins set out to explore the Arctic by air and flew from Alaska to Norway, for which he was knighted. Wilkins won a number of awards for his pioneering exploration work. In November 1928 and January 1929 he explored the Antarctic by air, and in the 1930s, made five further expeditions to the Antarctic. In 1931 he unsuccessfully attempted to take a First World War submarine, the Nautilus, under the Arctic ice to the North Pole. He subsequently worked in defence-related positions with the US Weather Bureau and the Arctic Institute of North America.

Wilkins died on 30 November 1958 in Framingham, Massachusetts. He was so highly regarded in the United States that his ashes were scattered at the North Pole by the crew of an American nuclear submarine. His output is represented in the Australian War Memorial collection by eight films and hundreds of photographs from the First World War.

Only war correspondant awarded decorations for bravery by the British Empire (that i am aware of) - and note that, while his actions were in command of troops !

Edward

Brian Ross

Post by Brian Ross » 26 Feb 2007 13:33

What do these people share with Errol Flynn?

* Sir Edmund Barton, the first Prime Minister of Australia; (attended Fort Street aged 8-10; later attended Sydney Grammar School)
* Sir Garfield Barwick, former High Court judge
* John Bryson, current Justice of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
* Sir Joseph Carruthers, former Premier of New South Wales
* Ian Cohen, current Member of the NSW Legislative Council
* Terence Cole, QC, jurist, commissioner into AWB Oil-for-Food Inquiry
* Maj-Gen. Bill Crews, current National President of the Returned and Services League of Australia
* John Dowd, former NSW Attorney-General, Leader of the Opposition and Justice of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, and current Chancellor of Southern Cross University
* Bob Ellicott, QC, former Federal Minister, Solicitor-General, Attorney-General and Judge of the Federal Court
* Dr H.V. Evatt, former High Court judge, President of the United Nations General Assembly and federal ALP opposition leader.
* Robbie Flohm, current Justice of the Family Court of Australia
* Don Grimes, former Senator, Federal Minister, and Member of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal
* Justice Michael Kirby, current Justice of the High Court of Australia
* Justice David Kirby, current Justice of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
* Sir John Kerr, 18th Governor-General of Australia, responsible for the dismissal of the Whitlam government in 1975
* Trevor Morling, QC, former Judge of the Federal Court, Royal Commissioner and Chairman of the Australian Electoral Commission
* B.S.B. Stevens, former Premier of New South Wales
* Neville Wran, former Premier of New South Wales

edward_n_kelly

Post by edward_n_kelly » 27 Feb 2007 05:01

All were, are or portrayed Freemasons. Errol Flynn supposedly portray the "five points of fellowship" in The Adventures of Robin Hood - I cannot find a direct reference to his membership but his conservative, almost Nazi sympathies would have put him in sympathy....

Edward

Brian Ross

Post by Brian Ross » 27 Feb 2007 09:39

No. That is not the answer. This is an association that is in the public domain and not secret in any way. I must admit I was rather surprised to learn it, myself. Care to try again?

Brian Ross

Post by Brian Ross » 01 Mar 2007 09:32

Hint #1 - look to their youth. :lol:

Brian Ross

Post by Brian Ross » 04 Mar 2007 01:07

Hint #2 - it is a place.

Brian Ross

Post by Brian Ross » 08 Mar 2007 13:58

Appears no one has been able to guess it. They all went to the same school - Fort Street School, Sydney - a quite famous public school which as I noted, has produced many leading figures in Australian society, including Eroll Flynne.

I'll throw the question open to anybody else who cares to have a go.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » 10 Mar 2007 04:23

Here is a question to keep the game going:

What film was the first to feature a character pulling out a grenade pin with his teeth?

waldorf

Post by waldorf » 13 Mar 2007 00:35

Hint 1:

The movie was pulled from release and banned in Britain after heated protest from British veterans groups and the military establishment.

Stugar

Post by Stugar » 13 Mar 2007 01:36

Objective Burma maybe?

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”