The Dirty Dozen to be remade in 2007

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Potsdamerplatz

The Dirty Dozen to be remade in 2007

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 02 Dec 2006 16:08

It seems "The Dirty Dozen" is the latest classic war movie to be given the 5-star Hollywood treatment with a remake next year:

http://www.themovieinsider.com/movies/m ... _Dozen_The

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780502

I wonder if they will stick to the original storyline or if it will be a movie loosely based on the original with the same characters.

Best regards.

Animal

Post by Animal » 02 Dec 2006 16:23

The one link says it's gonna be an updated version, which generally don't tend to be as good as the original- kinda like the 1921 Glenn Ford remake of the 1921 Valentino classic "Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse", or the "McHale's Navy" movie.

Of course I could see Bruce Willis in the Lee Marvin role.

Fallschirmjäger

Actors?

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 04 Dec 2006 05:01

I wonder if its big name or new faces,though for lee marvins role they should get a well know actor but who?,not bruce willis though,who?.

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 04 Dec 2006 05:59

How about Ed Harris playing Lee Marvin's role as Major Reisman?

By the way, I hear there are also plans to remake "The Boys from Brazil" with a release date of 2008 pencilled in - no concrete information yet though on the cast or possible plot.

Best regards.

gavmeister13

Post by gavmeister13 » 04 Dec 2006 20:56

Is Hollywood incapable of coming up with anything new? <rolls eyes and sighs>

tonyh

Re: The Dirty Dozen to be remade in 2007

Post by tonyh » 04 Dec 2006 21:41

Potsdamerplatz wrote:It seems "The Dirty Dozen" is the latest classic war movie to be given the 5-star Hollywood treatment with a remake next year:

I wonder if they will stick to the original storyline or if it will be a movie loosely based on the original with the same characters.

Best regards.

Well, lets hope it's better than the first one...cos that was shite. :)

I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Tony

Polynikes

Re: The Dirty Dozen to be remade in 2007

Post by Polynikes » 05 Dec 2006 01:07

Potsdamerplatz wrote:It seems "The Dirty Dozen" is the latest classic war movie to be given the 5-star Hollywood treatment with a remake next year:

Best regards.

Yeah this is pretty old news actually - there is/was a rumour that Tarantino is going to direct it as "Inglorious Bastards"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/

Fallschirmjäger

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 05 Dec 2006 04:56

The older movie was good in its day and still is a classic realy and they did alright i thought with the german uniforms and equipment etc...,but a new more gritty action packed? verison would be good.

Animal

Post by Animal » 10 Dec 2006 12:35

I could see Michael Imperioli or Vin Diesel as Franco- after all, they've already had experience playing Mafia types. And maybe Ice Cube as Jefferson.

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 10 Dec 2006 17:16

Animal wrote:I could see Michael Imperioli or Vin Diesel as Franco- after all, they've already had experience playing Mafia types. And maybe Ice Cube as Jefferson.

Good choices. Vin Diesel would be ideal as Franco.

Animal

Post by Animal » 10 Dec 2006 20:41

And how about Dale Dye as Colonel Breed? And maybe Michael Chiklis as Maggot? Mark Wahlburg as Wladislaw?

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 11 Dec 2006 03:45

The Lee Marvin role is the hardest to cast...there just aren't actors like him anymore.

Could George Clooney do it convincingly? (I'm thinking of the role he had in Three Kings).
I wouldn't take Bruce Willis or any other Hollywood 'action star".
Russell Crowe he has the rebellious streak of Lee Marvin.

The Clint Walker role I'd give to Michael Clarke Duncan - make him a black GI.

The Jim Brown role I'd give to The Rock - easy one that.

Vin Diesel for the Telly Savalas role.

Ed Burns would be in there too (might be a good call for the Marvin role).

How about Clancy Brown for the MP sergeant? He could reprise his brutal portrayal of a prison guard in the Shawshank Redemption - in the movie there was no explanation why an MP sergeant in charge of a jail would volunteer to become a para-commando with a very good chance of getting himself killed.
Perhaps the MP sergeant kills a prisoner and is offered a choice of volunteering for the mission or a court martial?

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 11 Dec 2006 03:49

Polynikes,

You have also came up with some good choices. I think also Edward Norton would be great in that kind of bad-boy role.

I've got to admit that I enjoyed all 4 of the Dirty Dozen movies.

Best regards.

Fallschirmjäger

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 11 Dec 2006 05:17

John wayne,james stewart,gary cooper,lee marvin,clint eastwood,lots of those old time movie actors are my favourites,they dont have to many around like them now days realy or never will,i do like harrison ford,robert de niro,samuel l jackson,denzel washington and many others who came after them though too still.

Polynikes

Post by Polynikes » 12 Dec 2006 02:03

Not sure about Edward Norton - I liked him in Fight Club but I'm not sure he's bad enough for the new Dirty Dozen.

Incidently, Robert Altman's dozen were too nice (Maggott excepted) - mine would be closer to the Wild Bunch - they would walk into the French chateau and slaughter German officers like William Holden, Warren Oates, Ernest Borgnine & Ben Johnson did - except the machine gun would be an MG-42.

How about Chris Cooper as Colonel Breed? (he's played stiff necked marine colonels twice in American Beauty and Jarhead).

Hardest role to cast is Franco. Loveable but highly dangerous. Could be a golden role for some unknown Italian-American actor.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”