Subject Sieg des Glaubens [Victory of Faith]...

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
JamesKLambert

Subject Sieg des Glaubens [Victory of Faith]...

Post by JamesKLambert » 06 Dec 2002, 03:09

have you seen it? What do you know about it?

Sieg des Glaubens [Victory of Faith] was Leni Riefenstahl's first Nazi Party film. It was shot at the 1933 Nuremberg Rally, when Hitler was Chancellor but not yet President. Most people (even film people and WW II buffs) have not seen this and a great many historical resources claim that the film does not exist but I know that it does. What I have been trying to determine is WHY this film has never made its way into the general public, the way that all of Riefenstahl's other film have (Nazi or otherwise). If you have any knowledge or thoughts on the subject please let me know!

Thanks,
Jamie

"There's no such thing as a scientific ought.” –Ludwig von Mises.

Alex Vasilewsky

Re: Subject Sieg des Glaubens [Victory of Faith]...

Post by Alex Vasilewsky » 06 Dec 2002, 03:26

Not just Vctory of fate, also Triumph of the will, olympics openig...
Leni was most probably the best propaganda director ewer.
Even today, when propaganda takes 90% of public life, there isn't any serious competition to her.

I must say I was astounded by the quality of those movies, beside their extreme background.

American electoral campaign or war on terror looks funny compared to the 30's.

JamesKLambert

So you have seen Victory?

Post by JamesKLambert » 06 Dec 2002, 15:52

Where and how did you see it?

Also, as I said before: What I have been trying to determine is WHY this film has never made its way into the general public, the way that all of Riefenstahl's other film have (Nazi or otherwise). Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Jaime

Alex Vasilewsky

Post by Alex Vasilewsky » 06 Dec 2002, 18:04

Well, I've got a video tapes of several propaganda movies, which one of my friends recorded few yeras a go.
As I seen, you can purchase 'm on VHS, Dvix or DVD ower the web...

Those movies were quite a taboo during the last 50 years. Maybe it's the fear of nazism, or some fobia... Newer the less, American Film Academy has listed 2 or 3 (I'm not shure) Leni's movies into the 10 world's best propaganda presentaions ewer. That's also affirmation to their quality.

JamesKLambert

No offense but…

Post by JamesKLambert » 07 Dec 2002, 05:02

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

>>Well, I've got a video tapes of several propaganda movies, which one of my friends recorded few yeras a go. As I seen, you can purchase 'm on VHS, Dvix or DVD ower the web... <<

I really doubt that your friends recorded Victory of Faith for you. If so I'd like to know where they got it, and/or I'll buy a copy from you. I also doubt that you can find it on video anywhere! If you can PLEASE tell me the web site or physical location. What you will find it that many historical source deny that this film even exists anymore and no one openly sells it.

BTW, who sells or buy Dvix anymore?

From what you've said so far, I really doubt that you have seen this film or that you know anything about it. I really don't understand why you bothered to post a reply if you cannot, or will not answer my question.

Jamie

Alex Vasilewsky

Re: No offense but…

Post by Alex Vasilewsky » 07 Dec 2002, 19:09

I really doubt that your friends recorded Victory of Faith for you. If so I'd like to know where they got it, and/or I'll buy a copy from you. I also doubt that you can find it on video anywhere! If you can PLEASE tell me the web site or physical location. What you will find it that many...
There were several TV series about the III Reich here in Serbia. Since the Yugoslav film records keep plenty of stuff ,the historicians decided to put it on TV and explain it a little more. The VHS's I have are home recorded, and their quality is terrible. I just doubt you'd by it. And oofcourse, since this is the only recording I'm posessing, It's not for sale!
BTW, who sells or buy Dvix anymore?
It's a chaep way of pirat entertainment in easternEurope. Easy to multiply and easy to distribute.

There are a coupple sites I ran into like
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 73-3745407

or
http://www.riefenstahl.org/resources/video.html

JamesKLambert

Like I said…

Post by JamesKLambert » 07 Dec 2002, 21:51

I really do not think you know what you are talking about.

>>There were several TV series about the III Reich here in Serbia.<<

A TV series about the Third Reich is not the same as an actual copy of Riefenstahl's Victory of Faith.

>>Since the Yugoslav film records keep plenty of stuff ,the historicians decided to put it on TV and explain it a little more.<<

But I doubt they put Victory of Faith on because I doubt they had it. Once again, if they do, find out who has it and how I can get it. I will pay you for it!

>>The VHS's I have are home recorded, and their quality is terrible. I just doubt you'd by it. And oofcourse, since this is the only recording I'm posessing, It's not for sale!<<

You could hook two VCR's up and copy it, if you really had it, and I would buy it!

I look at the two site you marked. The first is selling Triumph of the Will (NOT Victory of Faith). The second list several Riefenstahl films and when you click on Victory of Faith, it says:

"Currently unavailable anywhere, in any format."

Like I said. I don't think you know what you are talking about. I don't think you have this film, and I don't think you have even seen it.

Jamie

Xavier

please

Post by Xavier » 08 Dec 2002, 00:54

Please:

can you explain theme of the movie, layout, etc,..why is unavailable? any commetns..it has got me interested.....it is banned ?

regards

Xavier

Alex Vasilewsky

Post by Alex Vasilewsky » 09 Dec 2002, 20:52

It's a documentary made in Nurnber 1933 during nazi rallies.
It's full name is "Sieg des Glaubens"

And what is this!? a police interrogation...

This forum is about exchanging oppinions, not attacking each other!

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 09 Dec 2002, 20:59

Let me first say: relax!

Here is some basic info on that movie from http://www.imdb.com
www.imdb.com wrote:Sieg des Glaubens, Der (1933)

Directed by
Leni Riefenstahl

Cast (in alphabetical order)
Josef Goebbels .... Himself
Hermann Göring .... Himself
Rudolf Hess .... Himself
Heinrich Himmler .... Himself
Adolf Hitler .... Himself
Robert Ley .... Himself
Willy Liebel .... Himself
Prince August Wilhelm .... Himself
Ernst Röhm .... Himself
Albert Speer .... Himself
Margarete Speer .... Herself
Julius Streicher .... Himself
Franz von Epp .... Himself
Franz von Papen .... Himself
Baldur von Schirach .... Himself

Directed by
Leni Riefenstahl

Original Music by
Herbert Windt

Cinematography by
Sepp Allgeier
Walter Frentz
Robert Quaas
Paul Tesch
Franz Weihmayr

Sound Department
Walter Gaede .... sound editor
Siegfried Schulze .... sound

Production Companies

* Reichspropagadaleitung der NSDAP

Distributors

* Landesfilmstellen der NSDAP (1933-1945)
* Transit Film GmbH [de]

Runtime: 61 min
Language: German
Color: Black and White
Sound Mix: Mono (Tobis-Klangfilm)
/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 09 Dec 2002, 21:05

Some more info:

Full German title : Der Siteg Des Glaubens - Der Film Vom Reichsparteitag NSDAP

English title translation: Victory of Faith

Running time: sixty-four minutes, eleven seconds

Format: 35 mm; 1,756 meters

Premiere: December 1, 1933, UFA palace , Berlin

"I have to smile whenever I read in the press that this film was made with a 'colossal' technical expertise and that I prevented it from being screened after 1945. Another of the many legends."
Leni Riefenstahl, Sieve of Time

Generally considered as a misstep by Leni Riefenstahl, this film of the fifth Nazi party rally certainly has antecedents of the production that occurred a mere year later (Triumph des Willens). Despite the glimmer of genius in her resulting work and reviews of the day, which were mostly favorable, from the start Riefenstahl realized the film would never be what she wanted. In her Memoirs, she makes this clear as she states "I started to sort out [to edit] the film material without any joy, but tried to cut something usable."

The awkwardness of the film was due, Riefenstahl states because of very little preparation time and perhaps more importantly the existing rivalry between herself and the Arts and Propaganda Minister, Goebbels. She reports that her filmic efforts were repeatedly thwarted and blocked by Goebbels and other Party officials.

Perhaps more importantly than its artistic merit, Sieg des Glaubens has become a source of general historical controversy. Not only does it depict the uncomfortable joint leadership roles of Adolph Hitler and Ernst Rohm (SA leader) some believe that it's focus on Rohm and other key political elements are especially significant in their noticeable absence later in Triumph des Willens.
http://www.dasblauelicht.net/new_page_62.htm

/Marcus

Xavier

thanks!!

Post by Xavier » 10 Dec 2002, 02:01

Thanks marcus, and regarding the original inquire, is it available?
it is possible to get it?

regards

Xavier

Marcus

Re: thanks!!

Post by Marcus » 10 Dec 2002, 18:44

Xavier wrote:regarding the original inquire, is it available?
it is possible to get it?
I have no idea, sorry.

/Marcus

JamesKLambert

Police interrogation?

Post by JamesKLambert » 10 Dec 2002, 21:53

Alex Vasilewsky wrote:It's a documentary made in Nurnber 1933 during nazi rallies.
It's full name is "Sieg des Glaubens"

And what is this!? a police interrogation...

This forum is about exchanging oppinions, not attacking each other!
What are you talking about?

Look, if you have this film I will buy it from you. I will buy a copy from you so you do not even have to give it up. If you can find out who has the copy that you say was played on your local TV, I will pay to get a copy from them and pay you for setting up the deal! If you can simply give me the name and address of the TV station I will contact them myself. If you really have this or have any possibility of getting it please let me know but everything you have said so far makes me doubt you (like the web sites that you cited, which only confirm what I said, the film is not available to the general public).

I really HOPE you can prove me wrong about you! I really hope you can lead me to copy! So please provide me with some more information.

Jamie

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”