More on Cruise's Stauffenberg film

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
tonyh

Post by tonyh » 25 Jun 2007 15:03

American money...American actors.

Tony

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 25 Jun 2007 16:33

Stauffenberg's son Berthold has declared that the film will be crap - perhaps a little too harshly! But given the fact that he doesn't see films and hated all the previous efforts including the well received Jo Baer "Stauffenberg," its not unexpected.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 47,00.html

Colin

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 25 Jun 2007 21:39

What is up with the dislike of "scientology" in Germany?
It's too much of a joke to be taken that seriously.

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 26 Jun 2007 10:53

I think they got their back up when Scientology stated that some anti-depressant drugs were "nazi science".

Tony

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 26 Jun 2007 13:52

Here's a good explanation of the problem with Scientology in Germany.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6240312.stm

Colin

colt45

Post by colt45 » 26 Jun 2007 15:54

It's bound to be rubbish," 72-year-old Berthold Maria Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg, a retired German army officer and the oldest of Claus von Stauffenberg's five children, told the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung in an interview published in Friday's edition. - I never knew there were 5 children!

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 26 Jun 2007 21:51

Berthold Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg
* Born in Bamberg on 3 July 1934

Heimeran Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg
* Born in Bamberg on 9 July 1936

Franz Ludwig Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg
* Born in Bamberg on 4 May 1938

Valerie von L'Estocq (née Schenk Gräfin von Stauffenberg)
* Born in Bamberg on 15 November 1940 (same birthday as her father)
* Died in München on 4 June 1966

Konstanze von Schulthess-Rechberg (née Schenk Gräfin von Stauffenberg)
* Born in Frankfurt an der Oder on 27 January 1945

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 14&start=0

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 27 Jun 2007 10:18

colt45 wrote:It's bound to be rubbish," 72-year-old Berthold Maria Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg, a retired German army officer and the oldest of Claus von Stauffenberg's five children, told the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung in an interview published in Friday's edition. - I never knew there were 5 children!
He's probably correct. Given the track record of American war films.

Tony

Animal

Post by Animal » 27 Jun 2007 14:50

They could at least get Bruno Ganz to reprise his role as the paperhanger.

colt45

Post by colt45 » 27 Jun 2007 15:08

Stauffenberg, who was strongly opposed to the Nazi dictator's treatment of the Jews, planted a bomb under a conference table at Hitler's Wolf's Lair headquarters in what was then Eastern Prussia on July 20, 1944. The device detonated, killing four people but only wounding Hitler.

Unaware that his target had survived the covert attack, Stauffenberg returned to Berlin, where he was arrested and executed by firing squad early the next morning at what is now the Bendlerblock memorial inside the Defense Ministry complex.

Jungmann

Post by Jungmann » 27 Jun 2007 16:16

Thought I'd share these pictures of the Building where Stauffenberg and the others met and were executed. The is a musuem there dedicated to those that resisted the Nazi's which is well worth a visit. You can borrow a audio guide in English a the desk.

The outside of the headquarters of the Army of the Reserve. Which survived the battle of Berlin and still bearts the scars. You can see bullet holes on the exterior.
The courtyard where the conspirators were shot
The spot of the executions.

2Kp Pzr Gren Rgt Groβdeutschland
http://www.grossdeutschland.org

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 27 Jun 2007 18:16

Thanks for the nice photos of the Bendler. I visited the site last year for the first time late on a Sunday afternoon and had the courtyard to myself - very haunting!

I believe the German TV production "Stauffenberg" was filmed on site here and this is the site that Cruise & co. want to use for their production. It will interesting to see if the German government's apparent refusal to grant use of this and potentially other sites scuppers the production.

As an alternative, I don't think this set would be too hard to create on a sound stage as the executions took place at night and you wouldn't need to recreate the whole thing. Also, I am not a big fan of filming productions on the actual site where someone was executed as I think that it is disrespectful, particularly if it can be done elsewhere (call me old fashioned).

I hope they do proceed with the production on the off chance that it is a good one. Too many North Americans have never heard of Stauffenberg and his co-conspirators and have been fed the Western Allies propaganda line that there were no "good" Germans 1933 -1945. This mass-market project has the potential to move some very honourable people's reputations closer to the their rightful place in history in the popular mentality. If it is indeed rubbish, it can join the ranks of the other crappy war films in the remaindered DVD bins at the local video store.

Colin

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 27 Jun 2007 21:26

valkyrie wrote:I hope they do proceed with the production on the off chance that it is a good one. Too many North Americans have never heard of Stauffenberg and his co-conspirators and have been fed the Western Allies propaganda line that there were no "good" Germans 1933 -1945. This mass-market project has the potential to move some very honourable people's reputations closer to the their rightful place in history in the popular mentality. If it is indeed rubbish, it can join the ranks of the other crappy war films in the remaindered DVD bins at the local video store.

Colin
Let's hope that the don't spoilt this chance.

Fallschirmjäger

What is it realy?

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 03 Jul 2007 04:59

The problems that where talked about not getting the use of WW2 military sites it germany seems to be wrong,this is what one mp said i herd,the govt says they can go ahead and film in the locations for there movie.
Last edited by Fallschirmjäger on 05 Jul 2007 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

colt45

Post by colt45 » 03 Jul 2007 12:03

They showed the pics of Cruise and Stauffenberg on TV , they do look a like, a little.. the film will be out next year and should make $$$ :roll:

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”