More on Cruise's Stauffenberg film

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 03 Jul 2007 15:59

Looks like the Bendler is definately not going to be used but the avowed reason is not Cruise's Scientology beliefs:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 06,00.html

Excerpt - This is the second key location to have denied the star. Cruise has already been refused permission to shoot at the Bendlerblock, a government building in central Berlin, where Stauffenberg hatched the July 20 plot and where he and several others were executed after it failed.

At first the Berlin studio shooting the film dismissed earlier comments by the German Defence Ministry that it could not shoot at the location, saying it had the necessary permit. But the Finance Ministry has the final word and on Monday it confirmed that it was "no."

Ministry spokesman Stefan Olbermann insisted that the decision had nothing to do with Scientology. He explained to Reuters that another film had been shot at the Bendlerblock, which is also a memorial site, and that experience had led the ministry to bar all film shoots on the site. "We welcome the fact that such a film is being made," Olbermann said -- before, however, adding, "We don't think it would be appropriate to film there."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 01,00.html

Excerpt - Torsten Albig, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Finance, said: "The Bendlerblock as a site of historical remembrance and mourning is not suited to being turned into a cinematic backdrop just like that."

Colin

Fallschirmjäger

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 05 Jul 2007 08:50

What is it,some places are being allowed and others not?,as i herd no first then said it was allowing them.

Marcus

Cruise film banned from memorial

Post by Marcus » 07 Jul 2007 10:56

Actor Tom Cruise and the makers of his new movie have been banned from filming at the location in Berlin where an army colonel was executed in World War II.
Cruise plays Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, who was executed after plotting to assassinate Hitler in 1944.
Germany's finance ministry said the ban on Valkyrie's makers had nothing to do with the actor being a Scientologist.
Producers have already been barred from military sites because Germany believes Scientology is a money-making cult.
Scientology leaders strongly reject that view, while Cruise's co-producer has said his personal beliefs were not relevant to the film's subject matter.
A German government spokesman said the cast and crew had been refused permission to film on the so-called Bendlerblock site, which is part of the defence ministry, because it was a memorial site.
Meanwhile director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck - who won this year's best foreign language film Oscar for The Lives of Others - has defended Cruise, telling the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper that having him play Stauffenberg "would promote Germany's image more than 10 football World Cups".
Valkyrie - named after Operation Valkyrie, the plot's codename - is directed by Bryan Singer and also stars Kenneth Branagh. It is due for release next year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6268310.stm

/Marcus

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 07 Jul 2007 20:34

Hi Marcus - check out hte other string here on the Cruise film While it initially appeared that Cruise had been banned from the Bendlerblock, the Governmnet's public position is now that the use of this site would be inconsistent with its status as a memorial and disruptive given their experience with Jo Baier's Stauffenberg film that used this site as a set.

Colin

Dan W.
Financial supporter

Post by Dan W. » 08 Jul 2007 17:11

I'm glad to hear the German government has denied crybaby Cruise permission to have scenes shot at the Benderblock. Cruise has never impressed me with his acting ability and to see his erratic behavior and condescending attitude in interviews I'm even less a fan of him as a person than I am as an actor.

Congratulations to the government of Germany for doing the right thing, I hate to see such an important event as the July assasination attempt on Hitler sullied by Hollywood, and if they indeed do that, make sure its on their own set and not the place where the heroic Stauffenberg would meet his fate.

JagerRoll

Post by JagerRoll » 08 Jul 2007 18:22

I have mixed feelings about it. I am happy that modern hollywood is finally going to make a film showing the German Soldier in a normal light (kind of like Letters from Iwo Jima for the Japanese Soldier) and getting away from the image of showing them as all evil and stupid like Hollywood has been wrongly doing for years. I just hope that Tom Cruise does not tarnish the reputation of a true German Hero by makinging it more of an action movie than as a true to life drama as it should be.

nondescript handle
Financial supporter

Post by nondescript handle » 08 Jul 2007 20:54

JagerRoll wrote:[...](kind of like Letters from Iwo Jima for the Japanese Soldier)[...]
I think that generally "future behavior is indicated by past behavior", so I don't expect 'Valkyrie' to be comparable to 'Letters from Iwo Jima'.

Clint Eastwood has a long history of producing/directing cineastic, story telling movies. That includes reasonably accurate biographic films (e.g. 'Bird' or 'White Hunter Black Heart').

Both the producer/main actor (Tom Cruise) and the director (Bryan Singer) of 'Valkyrie' have done little (if anything) else than 'popcorn' action movies ('Top Gun', 'Mission Impossible', 'The Usual Suspects', 'X-Men', 'Battlestar Galactica').

Don't get me wrong: there is nothing wrong with action popcorn-cinema.
But it is wrong to turn the life of a real person into an inaccurate action flick. Especially if that person is (rightly or wrongly) considered a 'national hero' and the 'patron saint of the armed forces' in another country.

And one film is especially worrying: Cruise's 'The Last Samurai' - one of the prime examples of Hollywoods Americanization of history. A French officer turns into an US officer, every French, British or Prussian influence on Japanese culture turned into an American influence, etc.

Regards
Mark

JagerRoll

Post by JagerRoll » 09 Jul 2007 01:36

This movie should be told by Germans not Americans. It is kind of like having a German actor play Patton, It just would not work.

This is the German actor who should play Stauffengerg (Thomas Kretchmann)
Shot at 2007-07-08
Vs. the real deal (I think it would be a respectful portrayal)
Shot at 2007-07-09

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 09 Jul 2007 04:30

I don't mind Cruise playing him if the movie's decent as it will reach out to a lot more people. I am a student of the German resistance and very few I talk to in Canada about my interest has heard of them or July 20 - even those of German descent! If Cruise can bring Stauffenberg and company some minute portion of the popular respect they are due, I will be a fan. However, I agree that the odds against a reasonable portrayal are high and we are at risk of ending up with some comic book crap like "300!"

Colin

nondescript handle
Financial supporter

Post by nondescript handle » 09 Jul 2007 14:44

JagerRoll wrote:This movie should be told by Germans not Americans.[...]
Well, this movie was told by Germans at least half a dozen times now.

I don't think that the nationality of the actor (or the rest of the crew) is a reason not to make this movie.

And I agree with Colin: a US-movie has the chance to tell this story with a much broader audience and that would be a good thing. Unless it turns out to be 'The X-Men: Stauffenberg'.

Regards
Mark

Fallschirmjäger

Re: Cruise film banned from memorial

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 14 Jul 2007 08:11

Marcus Wendel wrote:Re: Cruise film banned from memorial
Thanks for that info Marcus Wendel.

valkyrie

Boeselager says OK to Tom!

Post by valkyrie » 17 Jul 2007 00:23

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 17 Jul 2007 00:30

This one is interesting - Wolfschanze reconstruction

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,214 ... 54,00.html

Colin

Timothy H. Barnes

Post by Timothy H. Barnes » 17 Jul 2007 21:20

Blueboyukb and others,

It seems to be an old Hollywood tradition to portray the good guys with American accents and the bad guys with British accents, going back to before Ben Hur. Some things never change!

Tim
Toronto

colt45

Post by colt45 » 19 Jul 2007 18:19

Hitler's Wolf's Lair headquarters in what was then Eastern Prussia on July 20, 1944. The anniversary is tommorrow!

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”