More on Cruise's Stauffenberg film

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
smcelravy

Re:

Post by smcelravy » 16 Jan 2009 01:41

blueboyukb wrote:i notice yet again a hollywood film with the hero being played by an american, and looking at that cast list, most of the rest, `the baddies`, being played by british actors!. :roll:
Well, this will really burn your onion then, apparently what made Tommy boy want to be in this movie was how much his "profile" suppossedly resembled Stauffenberg. gah, I am not going to bother with this movie... As an American, I can state with certainty, the last thing I want to see is Tom Cruise in this movie.

tonyh

Re: More on Cruise's Stauffenberg film

Post by tonyh » 16 Jan 2009 10:23

valkyrie wrote:Link to an extraorinarily stupid embarrassing and unprofessional review of Valkyrie by Roger Friedman. Why aren't the German soldiers whering armbands - apparently he got the uniforms wrong............OMG! And Stauffenberg doesn't sound German!?!?!?!?!? I guess its is what happens when you ban a Tom Cruise hater from the premiere. Given its on Fox, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473079,00.html

and a rather gentle rebuttal - too gentle in my view

http://www.fafarazzi.com/gossip/434777/ ... medium=rss

My 23 year old made an interesting commment - he thought that Friedman's views were just as one-sided, narrow minded and as bigotted as those of the holocaust deniers that he claims to concerned about.

Colin

Jesus H Christ..........

I haven't seen the film, but that "review" is jaw-droppingly inept and incredibly depressing. It indicates how screwed up the "modern" version of WWII "history" has reached.

All Germans are nazis, everyone loved the holocaust...

I know I shouldn't be surprised in reality, but I'm still shaking my head.

Sadly, I can see Mr Friedman's view soon becoming De rigueur for the majority and any deviation from it will be viewed as "nazi-apologia" and or "holocaust-denial".

:(

ghostsoldier
Financial supporter

Post by ghostsoldier » 16 Jan 2009 19:13

smcelravy wrote:As an American, I can state with certainty, the last thing I want to see is Tom Cruise in this movie.
Yeah...maybe they shoulda got someone serious to play CvS, like Will Ferrell.... :wink: ...c'mon, give the guy a chance...as an American, you might be surprised! :)
Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

JockCampbell41

Post by JockCampbell41 » 17 Jan 2009 15:47

I wonder if the problem was Cruise suddenly went public - very public - with his links to scientology and suddenly he was no longer the fresh faced boy-next-door character that people could project themselves into or empathize with but he became 'the high priest of scientology'. I confess I went from a big fan (thanks to his work in such military related movies like Taps, Top Gun, Born on the Fourth of July and A Few Good Men + Jerry Maguire) to having that 'baggage' running in the back of my mind whenever I saw him - even his old films. Some people now can no longer divorce the actor's private life and public spectacles from the characters he plays.

For my part I just want to see it because the subject matter interests me and for all his faults and his personal religious preferences I can't fault his acting or his ability to draw people into the stories he tells.

Salutes,
JC41

Cor

Post by Cor » 17 Jan 2009 21:58

I find this pic on the internet, maybe it's posted before, but i was to lazy to search trough 30 pages of the topic.

I find the casting pretty good, expecially Olbricht and Beck are pretty good casted. Is there already a pic of Hitler, Himmler, Speer etc.? So we can match them with there historical persons. I've heard they we're not pretty good casted in this movie?

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 17 Jan 2009 22:13

Cor - check this part of the official site if you want to see how well cast they are - very well cast in my opnion.

http://valkyrie.unitedartists.com/there ... index.html

Colin

SeaofJapan

Post by SeaofJapan » 19 Jan 2009 01:52

Is it historical accurate that Goebbels, Göring and Himmler hanged out together with Hitler at Berghof that late in the war? That was the scene that rang the alarm for me, it just seemed a bit ridiculous when he steps into Hitlers office and all these big shots sits there drinking tea and laughing.

Alecci

Post by Alecci » 19 Jan 2009 03:10

KLHugo wrote:Is it historical accurate that Goebbels, Göring and Himmler hanged out together with Hitler at Berghof that late in the war? That was the scene that rang the alarm for me, it just seemed a bit ridiculous when he steps into Hitlers office and all these big shots sits there drinking tea and laughing.
As late as June 7, 1944, Graf Stauffenberg attended a 'special briefing' at Berchtesgaden where Hitler, Himmler, Göring (in make-up), Speer and Keitel were present. Graf Stauffenberg's personal impression was that Speer was the only sane person there, and that all the other attendants were psychopaths.

The only odd person you mentioned would probably be Goebbels.

colt45

Post by colt45 » 19 Jan 2009 16:59

KLHugo wrote:Is it historical accurate that Goebbels, Göring and Himmler hanged out together with Hitler at Berghof that late in the war? That was the scene that rang the alarm for me, it just seemed a bit ridiculous when he steps into Hitlers office and all these big shots sits there drinking tea and laughing.
Göring and Himmler were not friends and would'nt hang out together

Cor

Post by Cor » 23 Jan 2009 22:51

ghostsoldier wrote:Cors,
Try these....

The forum cuts off the whole photo, so I've listed them as links...hope these help! :)
Rob
Hmm, pretty good casting in my opinion, only himmler is not great.

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 26 Jan 2009 16:23

It will be very interesting to see how the film is received in Russia.

"MOSCOW, January 26 (RIA Novosti) - Actor Tom Cruise said on Monday his role as a WWII officer in the new thriller Valkyrie, based on the 1944 plot to kill Hitler, had given him the chance to fulfill a childhood dream of visiting Russia.
Cruise, who plays Claus von Stauffenberg, jetted into Moscow on Monday, along with director Bryan Singer and screen writer Christopher McQuarrie, for the premiere of the film, which was shot on location in Germany.

Von Stauffenberg, a colonel in the Wehrmacht, was a key mastermind behind Operation Valkyrie, one of 15 known plans to assassinate Nazi leader Adolf Hitler. Cruise said that the more he learned about Von Stauffenberg, Germany and the history of WWII, the more he was overwhelmed by the events. Valkyrie, which also stars Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson and Eddie Izzard, opens for general release in Russia on January 29."

Colin

colt45

Post by colt45 » 27 Jan 2009 02:22

I think Russia will love it!

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 27 Jan 2009 02:52

I posted this under 'resistance' but this is too good to miss:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 593583.ece

Quote of the week from Claus' grandson Gottfried ! Wonderful!

“They made changes to the history. But is that important? I don't think so. They wanted to show the motives of the group and the man. My original concern was that it would be kitsch. But it is not kitsch.” He pauses. “I'm very glad that there's no sex scene with my grandmother.”

Colin

JockCampbell41

Post by JockCampbell41 » 27 Jan 2009 21:33

Hi Valkyrie,

Von Stauffenberg was never with the SturmAbteillung was he?

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/ger ... est/117072

I've never seen anywhere else that he was a member of the SA and from what I know he couldn't be, as a serving army officer.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”