More on Cruise's Stauffenberg film

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
colt45

Post by colt45 » 26 Jul 2007, 02:12

just watched The Plot to kill Hitler, they shot Stauffenberg in the hallway befor he was shot with some others in the yard including a General

AHAMED
Banned

Post by AHAMED » 26 Jul 2007, 04:19

Stauffenberg WAS a traitor of germany

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 26 Jul 2007, 05:32

Well thank you again for trying to bait us into a pointless argument Ahamed - I don't think I'll bite.

Stauffenberg was shot in the shoulder by loyal officers who judged that the coup was unraveling and that it was a good time to side with the winners. I hope Cruise's film is a tad more accurate than that earlier Brad Davis film. Strangely it was produced by David Wolper, who won an Emmy for an earlier Appointment with Destiny TV special on the same subject.

Colin

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 26 Jul 2007, 09:21

AHAMED wrote:Stauffenberg WAS a traitor of germany
Appart from such a repeated point of view, do you have anything worth of saying? Beacuse your point is quite clear, we got it, there is no need to repeait it.

No matter the font or size you use, your ideas are no more right than anyone one else's ideas.

And, frankly speaking, reading what I've read by you till now, I don't care.

tonyh

Re: Stauffenberg's glass eye

Post by tonyh » 26 Jul 2007, 11:23

valkyrie wrote:Here's a completely esoteric point - if they want accuracy in the film, I think they should show Stauffenberg at Wolfschanze without his eye patch. I don't believe he wore it on July 20. Look at the famous photo of him with Hitler on July 15 (attached), the occasion of his first attempt. He is clearly not wearing his eye patch as hte cord would be visible across his forehead if he had been.

It is also clear that he had a glass eye available and that he used it on occasion -

"Stauffenberg merely had himslef fitted for a glass eye. He did not commonly wear it, but if he was suddenly summoned to see very important superiors he would send his driver to 'fetch his eyesight'." {Hoffmann - Stauffenberg p. 187]

A friend of mine was interviewing Ewald Heinrich v. Kleist (who was present at the Bendler on July 20) for a web site proejct in 1999 and he was kind enough to ask Herr Kleist a couple of questions for me. One of my queries was whether or not CvS wore his eye patch on July 20 - Kleist asnwered 'yes'.

Basd on this, I would postulate that he wore his glass eye at Wolfschanze on July 20 and removed it on the 3 hour flight back to the Bendler where he appeared with his iconic eye patch.

Why did I care? I was sculpting a scale portrait of him at the time and wanted to get the detailed facts right on such minute as his eye patch, whether or not he wore a prosthetic right hand, his eye and hair colour, whetehr he wore his medals and awards etc.

Colin
If the German film "Staufenberg" is to be believed, he dropped his glass eye down the sink plughole in his brother's apartment on the morning of July 20th...hence the necessity of the eyepatch.

Tony

Alecci

Re: Stauffenberg's glass eye

Post by Alecci » 26 Jul 2007, 11:29

tonyh wrote:If the German film "Staufenberg" is to be believed, he dropped his glass eye down the sink plughole in his brother's apartment on the morning of July 20th...hence the necessity of the eyepatch.

Tony
I've never read or heard anything like this prior to the German movie 'Stauffenberg'. I think it's just a little bit dramatization.

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 26 Jul 2007, 17:42

Well, I've reason to disbelieve it at the moment, so it may well be a plausible explanation.

It seems an odd thing to put in a script without someone telling the scriptwriter about it.

Tony

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 26 Jul 2007, 17:42

Tony - I had forgotten that little detail in "Stauffendberg." But I agree with Allecci on the accuracy. In general, fairly wide license to stray from history was used in that film. See the negative review by Peter Hoffmann that I previously posted elsewhere on this site.

Colin

WalterS

Post by WalterS » 26 Jul 2007, 23:35

An historically accurate movie depicting the plot against Hitler which culminated in the 20 July bombing at Hitler's HQ would, indeed, be a worthwhile effort. "Der Untergang," a German film depicting Hitler's last 10 days or so in the bunker in Berlin, was outstanding.

I have never thought of Tom Cruise as a great character actor, but he probably could give a convincing performance as Stauffenberg given the right script, director, and subordinate casting. The story is most surely worthy of telling. Unfortunately, politics and religion have crept into the debate surrounding a film about Stauffenberg and the plot to kill Hitler. I think that the end product, the film, should be judged on its own merits: historical accuracy, attention to detail, honest narrative.

It is an unflattering reflection on our times that we now seem to judge films and documentaries, before they're made, by who made them. Everything is judged in the context of a polarized political atmosphere.

The German Government's objections to Cruise's filming in certain locations seem to be more concerned with the fact that Cruise is a Scientologist and less concerned with the historical accuracy and relevancy of the film itself. This is regrettable. I am not aware of any objections on historical grounds made by the German Government.

Therefore, Cruise's film should be made and then judged on its merits.

Alecci

Post by Alecci » 27 Jul 2007, 08:48

Well spoken, WalterS. Your post contains many points I've wanted to bring up in this thread as well.

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 27 Jul 2007, 13:55

The German Government's objections to Cruise's filming in certain locations seem to be more concerned with the fact that Cruise is a Scientologist and less concerned with the historical accuracy and relevancy of the film itself.
Aren't dictatorial cults banned by Germany's constitution? I know that the Scientology cult is frowned upon very deeply by the German government.

Tony

Kurz Patrone

Post by Kurz Patrone » 28 Jul 2007, 01:36

We cant critized a film does hasnt been release yet.

Matt

Post by Matt » 29 Jul 2007, 12:15

In the photo with Hitler Stauffenberg looks tall, does anyone know his height?

My aversion to Hollwood re-righting history, and a dislike of Cruise gives me a negative outlook on this film.

Regards.

Alecci

Post by Alecci » 29 Jul 2007, 18:46

Graf Stauffenberg stood a little bit higher than 180 cm if I'm not mistaken.

Pax Melmacia

Post by Pax Melmacia » 30 Jul 2007, 10:18

In the movie 'Hitler' (with Richard Basehart in the title role, I believe) KvS was hanged with some other officers. And with hempen rope, not piano wires, which I guess would have been too gruesome for the Hollywood of the day.

BTW, I honest to God hope the director doesn't use that cliche of the bomb going off and KvS walking calmly away in slo-mo as if nothing happened.

Not only is it historically inaccurate, but it's just plain stupid. If I saw anyone strolling off nonchalantly after a bomb blast, I'd haul the guy's a** in.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”