Valkyrie movie flubs/mistakes.

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Valkyrie movie flubs/mistakes.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 30 Dec 2008 06:02

#1 Wrong tail insigna used... swaz in red rondel on tail discontinued 1935, on ground next to war time ju52

#2. modern bathroon shower, massage rinse fixtures shown in bathroom scenes.
#3. keyboard set-up on typewriters shown in scenes have modern/english set -up.
#4.boom mikes, seen
#5. in N africa air raid/bombing scene, in very bottom left hand corner, digital camera counter tag info can be seen..
#6 far off in scene of the main berlin plaza, modern car seen speeding by.

Gren-Schell

Re: Valkyrie movie flubs/mistakes.

Post by Gren-Schell » 30 Dec 2008 09:52

Wow it's started already and I have not even seen the film yet. Gents, have a heart, it's not being shown in the UK until late next month! :cry:

Michael Dorosh

Post by Michael Dorosh » 30 Dec 2008 17:44

The GD battalion is incorrectly identified as "Deutschland Guard Battalion" in one of the title cards. There were other "mistakes" noticeable, like the mixing of waffenfarbe on Cruise's uniform (white litzenspiegel on collar tabs with staff shoulder boards and cap piping) but I generally give film-makers a pass on all but the most glaring stuff. I thought there was a FGB eagle on one of motorcycles, for example, rather than a GD stahlhelm, but really, who cares. They were using JU-52s instead of Condor aircraft in the opening scenes, and Stauffenberg flew an He-111 on 20 July instead of a Ju-52, but again - who cares? It was a good movie.

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 30 Dec 2008 18:12

I don't really care about minor errors. I am a figure modeller and nothing bugs me more than some pimpled geek who couldn't colour a picture and stay inside the lines critiquing some esoteric element of the uniform on one of my figures at a show and dissing months of work.

Re. Stauffenberg's waffenfarbe: I do have an interest as I have done portraits of him and likely will do more in future. I am wondering if the white collar insignia represents the fact that Stauffenberg was a GS officer on assignment with reserve army. Its hard to believe that they got that wrong. I know that white insignia have been used in some previous films. I would be interested on expert views on his while collar insignia vs the raspberry GS shoulder boards.

Thanks

Colin
Last edited by valkyrie on 30 Dec 2008 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Dorosh

Post by Michael Dorosh » 30 Dec 2008 19:17

Interesting point re: collar tabs, and I'm of the same mind - i.e. it is so glaring, and they got so much right, it seems inconsistent that they would get this wrong so one would think it has to be correct. But mixed waffenfarben seems so unlikely. However, one other mixed waffenfarbe question has come up in literature in the past - that of general's shoulder straps on the black AFV uniform, worn with pink-piped "death's head" patches. Never seen a uniform so badged, but there was an Osprey book in which a greatcoated general wore the AFV uniform - the greatcoat was worn open to reveal the AFV jacket's lapels, with pink piping. The greatcoat had his red piped shoulder boards. You had to guess what would have been on his AFV jacket's shoulders, but the conclusion you drew was that they would match the greatcoat. Did the artist make an error, or would this be another case of "mixed" waffenfarben?

Heinrich George

Post by Heinrich George » 30 Dec 2008 22:00

Watching the trailer on Youtube two things stand out:

1. Everything seems spanking new, though surely things must have been very drab after five years of war.

2. More flags than on Hitler's birthday.

I think the first occurs in most war films, even "Downfall" at times, but the second seems the sort of Hollywood overkill that easily could have been eliminated. Maybe they feel people need to be reminded that what they are watching is set in Nazi Germany, not Ruritania or the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

uhu

Post by uhu » 31 Dec 2008 04:29

I saw the movie this afternoon and caught the aircraft 'mistakes'. Ju-52, D-2600 really bothered me, but with no FW 200 around I think it was the best choice. I'm going to see the movie again tomorrow, first time in my 70 years I've ever done that. Nuff said?

Cigarboy

Post by Cigarboy » 31 Dec 2008 19:35

Von Stauffenberg was awarded the German Cross in Gold. Why did they omit this? Because the medal's appearance was "too Nazi"?

valkyrie

Post by valkyrie » 31 Dec 2008 22:08

I don't think that's it as Branagh's Tresckow, an equally sympatheic character, wears his German Cross in gold.

My guess is that they relied heavily on Peter Hoffmann as historical adviser. EVen Hoffmann is not infallible. If you go to his excellent Stauffenberg biography there is an appendix of "all" of Stauffenberg's awards and promotions with dates. The German Cross in gold is not on the list, despite clear evidence that it was indeed awarded to Stauffenberg.

Colin

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 31 Dec 2008 22:13

Overall, I was very pleased with the film. Looking forward to the DVD.

But-- FROMM NEEDS A RITTERKREUZ!

~ Mike

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 31 Dec 2008 23:29

Don't give him a Ritterkreuz, Mike, give him a moral backbone. :)

JockCampbell41

Post by JockCampbell41 » 04 Jan 2009 14:08

valkyrie wrote:I don't really care about minor errors. I am a figure modeller and nothing bugs me more than some pimpled geek who couldn't colour a picture and stay inside the lines critiquing some esoteric element of the uniform on one of my figures at a show and dissing months of work.

Re. Stauffenberg's waffenfarbe: I do have an interest as I have done portraits of him and likely will do more in future. I am wondering if the white collar insignia represents the fact that Stauffenberg was a GS officer on assignment with reserve army. Its hard to believe that they got that wrong. I know that white insignia have been used in some previous films. I would be interested on expert views on his while collar insignia vs the raspberry GS shoulder boards.

Thanks

Colin
Wasn't there a sequence where Stauffenberg (Cruise) was wearing crimson collar insignia? I certainly saw it in the previews (haven't seen the film yet). I don't think they would have changed it if they didn't think it was warranted - it can't just have been to save on the uniform budget because they apparently had a uniform with crimson collar insignia. Been wondering about that too for the longest time.

Salutes,
JC41

JockCampbell41

Post by JockCampbell41 » 04 Jan 2009 14:13

valkyrie wrote:I don't think that's it as Branagh's Tresckow, an equally sympatheic character, wears his German Cross in gold.

My guess is that they relied heavily on Peter Hoffmann as historical adviser. EVen Hoffmann is not infallible. If you go to his excellent Stauffenberg biography there is an appendix of "all" of Stauffenberg's awards and promotions with dates. The German Cross in gold is not on the list, despite clear evidence that it was indeed awarded to Stauffenberg.

Colin
Also Christian Berkel's Oberst von Quirnheim wears the Fuhrer's fried egg.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3882324992/nm0075321

Salutes,
JC41

Michael Dorosh

Post by Michael Dorosh » 04 Jan 2009 16:01

JockCampbell41 wrote:Wasn't there a sequence where Stauffenberg (Cruise) was wearing crimson collar insignia? I certainly saw it in the previews (haven't seen the film yet). I don't think they would have changed it if they didn't think it was warranted - it can't just have been to save on the uniform budget because they apparently had a uniform with crimson collar insignia. Been wondering about that too for the longest time.

Salutes,
JC41
Yes, he had several uniforms; one had the full dress pattern collar patches with the crimson backing.

Kuno2

Post by Kuno2 » 04 Jan 2009 17:37

Have not yet seen the movie but only the teaser on youtube. Whilst I would not be in the position to say if the "Waffenfarbe" is correct or not I have just seen that the opening scenes, where they are strafed n North Africa are showing the well of Fort Cappuzo Road Junction (this monument looking somehow like "Stonehenge". In reality and as far as I know, Stauffenberg was not yet in Libya but only in Tunisia - about 2'000kms to the West at least...

Btw. this monument is still existing...

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”